The B&C Best Albums of 2013 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is something unprecedented happening right now with the tally. I doubt it lasts much longer, but it is impressive.

I don't think my list should count for anything, but here's my first ever list:
1. The Men--New Moon
2. Pelican--Forever Becoming (I was pleasantly surprised by how good this is.).
3. Zola Jesus--Variations (I really liked it before I saw her perform it, but afterward, the album was even better.)
4. Hookworms--Pearl Mystic
5. Wall of Death--Main Obsessions
6. Nick Cave--Push the Sky Away

Albums I liked, but not enough to make the very small list:
Fuzz--Fuzz
Crocodiles--Crimes of Passion
Russian Circles--Memorial (I wanted to like this enough to have it on the list, but it hasn't made it yet.)

Meh
Atoms for Peace--AMOK

Disappointment:
Purling Hiss--Water on Mars (I don't know what the hell happened here.)

Disappointment:
Purling Hiss--Water on Mars (I don't know what the hell happened here.)

Admit it: you're just trolling in the hopes that Shouter comes back to argue about this.

Has anyone included After Dark 2 on their list yet?

Because that compilation is better than most albums I've heard this year.

Totally agree, but I just tried to stay away from including a compilation. AD2 would otherwise be an easy top 5 for me.

I would have placed AD2 on mine if it counted. But I don't include live albums or EPs, so label compilations might as well be out too.

Also, The Chromatics and Glass Candy are playing a free show in downtown Los Angeles this weekend at some old theatre. I just RSVPed.

Maybe I'll put that in my Top 10 list too, bitches.

If you're going with a loose criteria, Lance's mom will be in everyone's top 10.

Last edited:
Huh, huh. You said "loose."

beavis_and_butthead_01.jpg

Well, here is my sure to be unpopular final top 15:

1. Disclosure - Settle (12)
2. My Bloody Valentine - m b v (12)
3. The National - Trouble Will Find Me (12)
4. CHVRCHES - The Bones Of What You Believe (10)
5. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories (10)
6. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires Of The City (10)
7. Arctic Monkeys - AM (8)
8. Okkervil River - The Silver Gymnasium (7)
9. Savages - Silence Yourself (6)
10. Foxygen - We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors Of Peace & Magic (4)
11. Cut Copy - Free Your Mind (4)
12. Washed Out - Paracosm (2)
13. Atoms For Peace - Amok (1)
14. Arcade Fire - Reflektor (1)
15. Manic Street Preachers - Rewind The Film (1)

And #16-30 in no particular (except alphabetical) order.

The Civil Wars - The Civil Wars
Daughter - If You Leave
David Bowie - The Next Day
DJ Koze - Amygdala
The Flaming Lips - The Terror
Kurt Vile - Walkin On A Pretty Daze
Los Campesinos! - No Blues
Mikal Cronin - MCII
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away
Pond - Hobo Rocket
Speedy Ortiz - Major Arcana
The Strokes - Comedown Machine
Italians Do It Better - After Dark 2
Wavves - Afraid Of Heights
Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt

10. Foxygen - We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors Of Peace & Magic

This is a really good album that I'm surprised isn't turning up on more lists. I probably should have put it at least as an honorable mention in retrospect.

This is a really good album that I'm surprised isn't turning up on more lists. I probably should have put it at least as an honorable mention in retrospect.

I imagine there was a bit of a backlash because the main guy proved to be a complete dipshit. Shouldn't affect the music but ehhhh.

It's the kind of album that belongs on the "I listened to this once or twice or for about a week but never went back to it the rest of the year" year-end lists.

The National - Trouble Will Find Me (15)
Depeche mode -Delta Machine (14)
Ducky boys - Dead end streets (13)
Pearl jam- Lightning bolt (13)
Bad Religion - True North (5)
Kurt vile - Wakin on a pretty daze (5)
Russian circles - Memorial (5)
Pelican - Forever becoming (5)
Mogwai - Les revanants soundtrack (15)
Welch boys - Bringing back the fight (10)

On the app version, you all keep giving some albums a rating of sunglasses, so that's cool, I guess.

This isn't aimed at you, or anything, IWB, but I was thinking about this earlier and forgot to say anything. If someone is going to rank less than 15 album, should they be given the fill amount of points to distribute, or a fraction, based on how many albums they do include?

/totallyoverthinkingthis

The sunglasses happens whenever you put a 8 next to a ). So those are 8s.

I thought about the number of albums vs point allocation thing too, since obviously I can throw more points at single albums having only listed 10 than 15. Nick Cave, Darkthrone, and the Manics were the only albums I plan on checking out eventually but still hadnt gotten to, and I could have waited to add them, however there's a chance I don't even like them anyway. Sort of silly throwing points at stuff I didn't like, which is why I didn't throw a single point at the albums I did listen to but disliked just to make an even 15. Then I just figured well, my list is pretty pointless when bands like bad religion, the Ducky Boys, the welch boys, etc wont even be eligible for a low ranking on peef's tally because I'm the only one who had anything to say about them at all (except br, I think UL mentioned them, but he was the only other one). So I decided it really doesn't matter anyway.

Yeah, I knew what was causing it, just looks goofy on the the phone, lol.

Anyways, the points thing isn't a big deal and I promise, I wasn't trying to single you out. I totally understand and agree with your logic for not including an album you don't like. Makes sense..

Now all I need is a musket!

Last week I went with my parents to view a local Christmas Lights display (a big one you pay to drive through, and has a massive amount of lights through a large park area). They had a section that I REALLY wish I'd have taken a picture of. Right next to a giant group of light shaped like the state of Utah was a Christmas light version of a mountain man holding a musket. It was couldn't have been more perfect.

The sunglasses happens whenever you put a 8 next to a ). So those are 8s.

I thought about the number of albums vs point allocation thing too, since obviously I can throw more points at single albums having only listed 10 than 15. Nick Cave, Darkthrone, and the Manics were the only albums I plan on checking out eventually but still hadnt gotten to, and I could have waited to add them, however there's a chance I don't even like them anyway. Sort of silly throwing points at stuff I didn't like, which is why I didn't throw a single point at the albums I did listen to but disliked just to make an even 15. Then I just figured well, my list is pretty pointless when bands like bad religion, the Ducky Boys, the welch boys, etc wont even be eligible for a low ranking on peef's tally because I'm the only one who had anything to say about them at all (except br, I think UL mentioned them, but he was the only other one). So I decided it really doesn't matter anyway.
You voted for ten albums and five of them already had at least one vote (including Bad Religion). Your votes will count for something.

You voted for ten albums and five of them already had at least one vote (including Bad Religion). Your votes will count for something.

just making sure to toss some more points the national's way.

Back
Top Bottom