The Art of Selling Out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not to sound like some kind of condescending old man, but there was a time when selling your songs for commercials was NOT a widespread practice, and many artists were totally against the idea.

Times have changed; namely people have become greedier and have less integrity.

There was a time when musicians actually got paid for their albums. So have the musicians or the consumers gotten greedier?

A good point, BVS. Yes, everyone has become greedier. Just from looking at the opinions in this thread you can see that.

Though there are still some bands that will not sell their music for commercials. Why?
That's always my main point in this discussion. As long as there are artists who refuse to use their music in this way, you have to ask yourself that question. And if you can understand why some have that position, then you begin to see why those that act more liberally with their creations have less integrity. Just because it's an overwhelming majority now doesn't make it a good or honorable thing.

It should also be said that it's not just big bands like Shuttlecock or Radiohead who won't cross this line, but smaller ones as well who turn down offers. How do they survive? Apparently it can still be done.

Yeah, I give props to the little bands who don't more than I would a band like Radiohead. But I do think some of this will be changing soon. Album sales dropping every year and a tough economy, touring is going to get more difficult for up and coming bands.

I know some new well known indie bands that are barely scraping by and will more than likely have to get jobs in between albums.

If nothing changes over the next couple of years, there won't be anymore Arcade Fire's coming up without finding ways of selling their songs, for an indie 7 piece won't be able to make it.

The trend of these groups with more than 5 people astound me. How in god's name do they make enough for everyone to support themselves?

Arcade Fire sell tickets for 50 euro and sell out two nights at 10,000 capacity venues, I hear it pays well :wink:

Back
Top Bottom