The Art of Selling Out - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey788 View Post
I have to say that I do have a problem with high-profile artists who own their song rights and decide to use them in advertisements for cash. I wind up losing some respect for them, especially if they appear to be anti-establishment or outside of the mainstream.

I think one of the best examples of this type of selling out is Billy Corgan rapping Bullet with Butterfly Wings for some sort of pay-per-view wrestling. That song used to be my favorite Smashing Pumpkins song but now I can't listen to it without thinking of being trapped in a "six-foot steel cage." It's moves like this that damages the artist's relationship with the audience.

YouTube - Lockdown PPV Open w/ Billy Corgan
I'm not sure if you know, but Billy is a HUGE pro wrestling fan, so I would guess he didn't see it as selling out. It's pretty common in pro wrestling (especially WWE) for the wrestling companies to have a theme song for their PPV. WWE has used many prominent artists over the years including U2, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Rush and Peter Gabriel to name a few.

So, if anyone is a fan of Billy Corgan and his music, they would fully understand that Billy appearing in a promo for TNA was all in fun, especially for Billy. I'm sure he was paid decently, but do we really know what he did with his money? He could've easily donated that money to charity.

As much as people don't like when an artist is "selling out", what they fail to realize is that that artist is actually reaching an audience that has possibly never heard their music before.

Hell, use John Mellancamp as an example. I'm sure everyone was sick of hearing his song Our Country a billion times during Chevy commercials. But guess what? Chevy treated Mellancamp better than his own record company did. They featured his song prominently in their advertising campaign for many months and his music garnered more exposure to a new audience. They paid him a lot of money for one song. Meanwhile, John's own record company did nothing for his first single and couldn't have cared less. As a result of Chevy's help, Our Country was played everywhere and a whole new audience were exposed to his music.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #17
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
YouTube - Thom Yorke on Principles

Thom Yorke knows all and sees all. Even if you can't understand much of what he says.

Good points, Thom. I'm going to go analyze what you said while watching The Prestige now.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:15 PM
I don't think contributing a song to a soundtrack is the same as having a company use it in a commercial. Also, I can't think of one artist that HASN'T had a song used in a film.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Nothing says blue collar populism like a Jaguar ad. I mean, at least $ting looked like the kind of snot who would drive one.
Let's not forget Spoon did a Jaguar ad as well.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVelvetDress_75 View Post
The Amstel Light commercial with the Fratelli's Cheslea Dagger is annoying me too. These songs are close to being removed my playlists.

YouTube - Amstel Light - One Dam Good Beer Ad [60 Sec Long VSN]
Good call. I loved that song when it first came out, still do. But that commercial has been overplayed. And they also play the hook of the song at a lot of NHL arenas after someone scores a goal. It's becoming too ubiquitous.

Also, biggest sell outs of the last 5 years = Kings of Leon

Fuck. I used to like those guys. Now I literally can't stand to hear a minute of any of their songs. Even stuff off of Aha Shake Heartbreak, which is a damn good album. I think Bono stole their souls when they toured with U2.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

My dad still gives me shit about the Wilco/Volkswagen set of commercials. What's worse, I'm a raging Wilco fan and I own a VW. Sometimes I feel like shit if I'm listening to them while driving.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
Let's not forget Spoon did a Jaguar ad as well.
That's correct. I was extremely disappointed when that happened. Though, correct me if I'm wrong, don't they only use the music and you don't hear any of Britt Daniel's voice? It's like they were trying to get away with something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
My dad still gives me shit about the Wilco/Volkswagen set of commercials. What's worse, I'm a raging Wilco fan and I own a VW. Sometimes I feel like shit if I'm listening to them while driving.
You should feel bad. That commercial is probably what created my disdain for this band. I just laugh to myself now at the pedestal of anti-corporate machine integrity they've been put on that is clearly made of paper mache. They're fucking whores, the fans need to reconcile that FACT and while some artists I really like have done commercials, no one who does will ever be in my Pantheon.

What's worse is the rationalization that came out of the VWilco (as they will henceforth be known as in my posts--can't believe I didn't think of that before) camp was about how they've always loved Volkswagens, happy to do it, blah blah blah. Shut the fuck up. In the words of Bill Hicks, they're just another whore at the capitalist gang-bang. Don't try to make excuses, just say baby needs a new pair of shoes, shrug, and take it like men.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Billy Corgan and wrestling... that was just weird.

YouTube - ryan adams gap commerical

Ryan was asked about "selling out" with this commercial.

His response was, they paid me $35,000 to hang out with Willie Nelson for a couple of hours wearing something I would normally wear... who wouldn't do that?
Old 06-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #24
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
I don't think contributing a song to a soundtrack is the same as having a company use it in a commercial. Also, I can't think of one artist that HASN'T had a song used in a film.
I am a Radiohead fan and don't really care one way or the other if they've "sold out", but I was more just making a joke about the whole thing. Regardless, Thom's argument of "ruining fan's personal memories of a song" could easily be applied to a movie as well as putting it in a commercial. Honestly, I don't see any difference whatsoever in that specific regard.

As a whole, I don't know what I think about "selling out". I mentioned being annoyed by the recent use of a Dodos song in a beer commercial, but at the same time I can't really blame the band as I'm fairly confident they didn't make much money at all on the last album despite it having been minorly hyped in the indie community. At the end of the day, music is their job and their life. If doing a commercial means that the band will be able to release another album, or have more money to hire a better producer, etc., I certainly can't fault them for that.

That all said, Oasis are definitely sellouts and horrible human beings.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #25
Refugee

Old 06-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #26
you are what you is

Local Time: 08:15 AM
I would care about Thom Yorke's opinion but since Radiohead managed to make the music of In Rainbows secondary to the marketing opportunity offered by new ways of selling an album I don't

for the record, I don't think Radiohead sold out
I do think they are shrewd marketeers
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah, because I'm sure Radiohead were focused on HOW they were going to sell the album more than they were on actually writing and recording it.

Just because the press makes the story about the marketing and not the music doesn't mean that was the intent of the artist.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:40 AM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
I am a Radiohead fan and don't really care one way or the other if they've "sold out", but I was more just making a joke about the whole thing. Regardless, Thom's argument of "ruining fan's personal memories of a song" could easily be applied to a movie as well as putting it in a commercial. Honestly, I don't see any difference whatsoever in that specific regard.

As a whole, I don't know what I think about "selling out". I mentioned being annoyed by the recent use of a Dodos song in a beer commercial, but at the same time I can't really blame the band as I'm fairly confident they didn't make much money at all on the last album despite it having been minorly hyped in the indie community. At the end of the day, music is their job and their life. If doing a commercial means that the band will be able to release another album, or have more money to hire a better producer, etc., I certainly can't fault them for that.

That all said, Oasis are definitely sellouts and horrible human beings.
I agree with all of this...

With regards to film soundtracks; is it ok to have a song on a soundtrack for some obscure Indie film or something "cool" vs. a big dumb action movie like Transformers 2?
Old 06-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #29
you are what you is

Local Time: 08:15 AM
Quote:
Yeah, because I'm sure Radiohead were focused on HOW they were going to sell the album more than they were on actually writing and recording it.

Just because the press makes the story about the marketing and not the music doesn't mean that was the intent of the artist.
by which logic are the Rolling Stones "corporate whores" then?
not that I care about the stones either
or about supposed selling out
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:36 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

The logic that has shown them sell some of their greatest songs to be used in commercials, including Satisfaction, Start Me Up and You Can't Always Get What You Want, and they were one of the first bands to tour with big corporate sponsorship.

They also sued The Verve for their sampling of an INSTRUMENTAL Stones track in Bittersweet Symphony, and wound up taking ALL of the royalties from the song. Keep in mind this is after The Verve had ALREADY licensed the sample from them, but they were sued on some technicality after it became a huge hit. And then they had the indecency to sell it to be used in a commercial against The Verve's wishes. Sure, this was all Allen Klein's doing, but the Stones could have stopped their manager had they desired.

Exactly how are they NOT corporate whores? I can't think of a greedier band in history.