The appreciation thread for Tom Waits, genius.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm still packing to move and still listening to Tom. Seems to be all I want to listen to during this heinous task.

Just listened to Heart Attack & Vine which is one of my favorites that I don't hear people mentioning very often. My college roommate and I drove people crazy (in not a good way) blasting the title song and screaming out the lyrics and stomping around.

Somehow missed this post before; I've also been listening to HA&V a lot lately.

Standouts for me are On The Nickel and Jersey Girl.

Finally found Small Change! I am so far beyond thrilled right now.

Longhorn.gif

oh yay, have just discovered him :doh: loving small change and swordfishtrombones atm and so much more to listen to by the looks of it

"Tom Traubert's Blues" is the only song that I'm really familiar with on Small Change but, damn, it's stunning.

I'll get to the rest of the album at some point.

Listening to Closing Time again, it's hard to believe that the same guy made it who also made something like Bone Machine. I wonder how he feels about a track like "Ice Cream Man" now.

When you walk through the garden

You better watch your back

Well I BEG YOUR PARDON!?!!?!?!
Walk the straight and narrow track

If you walk with Jesus

He's gunna save your soul

You gotta keep the devil

Way down in the hole

^ Simple as that

definitely in need of some more Tom Waits. It's become an addiction almost, LOL. What's next, lads? Anything you recommend from before Swordfishtrombones?

Work your way back. Blue Valentine has his greatest song ever IMO (Kentucky Avenue), and Heartattack and Vine is also pretty awesome.

For whatever reason I had never heard Blood Money.

Damn, Coney Island Baby is a hell of a tune.

I prefer Alice too, for its sweetness and vulnerability. It's very unique within his discography.

Song for song, I can't find any specific reason to criticize Blood Money though.

i got into tom waits back in 1983. i was watching the friday nite music show, "the word" hosted by jools holland, when they played the tw video "in the neighbourhood", which i ~loved~

i scooted into town the next morning and bought the vinyl album "swordfishtrombones"

over the next few months i amassed about 10 of his albums

the tw cd's i currently own are:

asylum years (fave track- martha)

nighthawks at the diner (fave track- big joe & phantom 309)

foreign affairs (sight for sore eyes)

Heart attack & vine (ruby's arms)

Swordfish (johnsburgh, illinois; neighbourhood)

raindogs (downtown train, hang down your head, time, blind love)

mule variations (just bought this last week so not familiar with it yet)

real gone (hoist that rag, Sins of my father, barn, trampled rose)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmTcSGukO4o

I'm hoping for it being a tour announcement, but I wouldn't say no to new music.

Back
Top Bottom