The appreciation thread for Tom Waits, genius.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
love, love, love Tom Waits one of my favorite artists ever along with Springsteen. true genius songwriter and even more amazing in concert. Lately Mule Variations has been my favorite album of his, but it constantly changes. I always wondered why he wasn't more famous, he definitely has the talent and artistic vision but I guess one could call his voice...an "acquired taste"?

I so desperately want to love listening to his music, but as was said above, his voice is an acquired taste....and it's just hard for me to listen to.

The man's lyrics are amazing, I love his sense of humor, his style, everything about him screams awesomeness...but his voice is something I am unable to really appreciate.

I so desperately want to love listening to his music, but as was said above, his voice is an acquired taste....and it's just hard for me to listen to.

The man's lyrics are amazing, I love his sense of humor, his style, everything about him screams awesomeness...but his voice is something I am unable to really appreciate.

Fuck you. I bet if his name was Tom Waitstein you would be all up on his nuts. I doubt you would call your mother with greater consistency though. You'd still be a selfish ass.

Fuck you. I bet if his name was Tom Waitstein you would be all up on his nuts. I doubt you would call your mother with greater consistency though. You'd still be a selfish ass.

I heard that he did a Live cover of "Tradition". I'd love the bootleg if anyone wants to PM it to me.

He sounds really great on his first record. I haven't been able to listen to his more recent stuff but check out "Closing Time" sometime. He sounds almost normal. Also, "The Heart of Saturday Night."

I agree with this.

I'm listening through the man's discography right now, more or less chronologically. I have found I completely, utterly adore the early stuff. Closing Time and The Heart Of Saturday Night are fucking awesome. Can't believe I hadn't heard these before. Tom Waits + UPRIGHT BASS = FTMFW. Plus, his voice sounds great.

And I will agree with the Martha appreciation. Definitely a highlight, but I think my favorite on Closing Time is Lonely.

Rain Dogs, Mule Variations and Orphans FTW.

Willie Nelson also did a great cover of "Picture in a Frame."

I want new material. :grumpy:

I'm listening through the man's discography right now, more or less chronologically. I have found I completely, utterly adore the early stuff. Closing Time and The Heart Of Saturday Night are fucking awesome. Can't believe I hadn't heard these before. Tom Waits + UPRIGHT BASS = FTMFW. Plus, his voice sounds great.

And I will agree with the Martha appreciation. Definitely a highlight, but I think my favorite on Closing Time is Lonely.

Yay. :up: I have a soft spot for "Little Trip to Heaven" on Closing Time, and "Please, Call Me Baby" on The Heart of Saturday Night.

Let me know when you get to Heartattack & Vine.

Rain Dogs, Mule Variations and Orphans FTW.

Willie Nelson also did a great cover of "Picture in a Frame."

I want new material. :grumpy:

He's writing new material now.

... As for new material, Waits and his long time collaborator and wife, Kathleen Brennan, have begun writing new songs, which they plan to record this summer for an upcoming CD. (No release date at this time.)
Source: ANTI- TOM WAITS GOES GOLD WITH 'ORPHANS: BRAWLERS, BAWLERS & BASTARDS'

I know absolutely nothing about Tom Waits outside of 'Goin' Out West', but I sure do enjoy that song. :up:

I love this thread. I haven't listened to Closing Time nearly enough. I can't thank elmel enough for putting Lonely on his DI list. It is just the epitome of sorrow. It sounds like a bloke who has had a shit night out, something we can all relate to, and has just gone back to his apartment and started playing piano, singing whatever has come to his mind. And the rest of the album is great. And I'm told its not even close to his best.

The first five times I looked at that record title in various places I read it as "Badass Me" which I thought was funny.

I need some guidance on the last decade or so of Waits. I haven't listened to him the way I did with the early records. What are the must-haves?

It's also a cloudy, drizzly Saturday morning here in the desert. We don't get a lot of days like this. Perfect for some Tom Waits.

Having an anxiety attack because I can't find my copy of Small Change in my perfectly organized CDs.

I noticed how drizzly and shitty and awful it was this morning after a solid week of beautiful weather and, instead of getting depressed over it, I got A Little Rain stuck in my head. That helped. Bone Machine is a sublime record, the first Waits record I really loved.

Sorry, U2, you're about to eat Waits' dust on my last.fm.

McGuinness won't just figuratively eat it.

I just finished my first Waits record: Rain Dogs. What an eclectic, mercurial album, often of ragged beauty but also filthy and splenetic as a dive bar floor. I think that I need a while to process it.

My first as well. And after hearing them all dozens of time each, likely still my favorite. I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope an obsession flourishes.

Although I would never recommend Rain Dogs as an entry point because of its willful inaccessibility and ambitious length...

Imperor said:
I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope an obsession flourishes.

This.

Back
Top Bottom