The appreciation thread for Tom Waits, genius.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Uncle Biltmore! And Uncle William! Made a million during World War II!

I like this thread.

I've only heard Rain Dogs and Bone Machine (which is my favorite). Swordfishtrombones is next.

I don't think it's my #1 Tom Waits favorite, but Swordfishtrombones kicked my ass. I loved it. It doesn't cohere very well, but each song sounds great individually.

"Frank's Wild Years" :heart:

I've quietly acquired about seven albums of his over the last year or so. Which was long overdue because I'm totally into this weird, dark, demented carnival stuff. So far I'd probably say that Mule Variations is my favourite.

"I'm Still Here" is one of the most romantic tracks I've ever heard. The Lady Friend enjoys it, too, which is always good.

Best song ever with my name.

I love Closing Time and Heartattack & Vine. They would have been in my Top 50 list if I'd bother to do one.

I only got to see him once live, when he did a week on Broadway. Just fantastic.

Take another look at your avatar and say it ain't so! :sad:

:wink:

Unfortunately, I have nothing else to add to this thread cos I have no idea about this guy.

I don't like her song with my name, sadly.

I don't see you becoming a Tom Waits fan any time soon but you never know.

Unfortunately, I have nothing else to add to this thread cos I have no idea about this guy.

You know the song Jersey Girl, made popular by Springsteen? Tom Waits wrote that and nobody can touch his version. Not nobody not nohow.

He also wrote Time that Tori recorded on Strange Little Girls. Also can't touch his version.

Pearl Jam covered his Picture in a Frame.

The Eagles covered his Ol' 55.

You know a shitload of Tom Waits songs, you just don't know it.

You know the song Jersey Girl, made popular by Springsteen? Tom Waits wrote that and nobody can touch his version. Not nobody not nohow.

He also wrote Time that Tori recorded on Strange Little Girls. Also can't touch his version.

Pearl Jam covered his Picture in a Frame.

The Eagles covered his Ol' 55.

You know a shitload of Tom Waits songs, you just don't know it.

Rod Stewart covered Downtown Train, but I've tried to put it out my memory because it's an awful version.

Plus, Way Down in the Hole from Frank's Wild Years was used as the theme song for the show The Wire, each season featuring a different artist's version.

Rod Stewart covered Downtown Train, but I've tried to put it out my memory because it's an awful version.

Plus, Way Down in the Hole from Frank's Wild Years was used as the theme song for the show The Wire, each season featuring a different artist's version.

Yes, we didn't like that one.

I have never seen The Wire. It's insane, I know.

Nice find financeguy. I was a huge Fernwood Tonight fan and this is a great clip :up: "Better to have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy" :lol:

Here's a great version of Time from Late Night with Letterman, unfortunately cut short. I have this somewhere on vhs from the night it was performed. Forgot all about it til now. Short, but better than the lp version.

YouTube - Tom Waits - 1986 Letterman Interview

Back
Top Bottom