The appreciation thread for Tom Waits, genius.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Letterman and Fallon performances were the first any Bad as Me material has been performed. I remember reading something last year about him having no plans and/or desire to tour. But we'll see.

He's done quick-succession releases before (Blood Money/Alice), so maybe he had some shit lying around. Though I highly doubt it's shit.

Nice promo pic. Shiverrrr mee timbeeers, cuz I'm a-ssaaaiilliinnn awaaaaay

Foreign Affairs is pretty good. I quite like Burma Shave.

I feel like I need to be in a low-lit jazzy bar with lyric sheets, scotch and a cigar when I listen to him though. Listening on the train on the way to work doesn't quite match the music.

I'd guess it's probably going to be a music video? Tom Waits tours are quite rare. I think the last time he was in the states was 5 years ago, and he did just a handful of dates, mostly in the midwest. Next time he plays within a few hundred miles of me, I plan to be there, and I suggest everyone else do the same.

Yeah, I've got a trip fund that I'd use to get to the closet and/or most desirable city on the itinerary should this be a tour announcement. I'm not missing it for anything.

hvq5g4.jpg

So are we going to take bets on what the announcement will be?

I'm not going to bring a gun to a spoon fight anytime soon. But I'm curious what would happen if I brought a fork.

Aww, I was really hoping for a tour, too.

I agree with the cool video.

:bump:

Been getting back into Waits since those reviews of the Asylum era records went up. Let's chat.

I've heard five of his records: Closing Time, The Heart of Saturday Night, Small Change, Swordfishtrombones and Bad as Me.

Closing Time is my sentimental favourite. What got me into Waits in the first place was LM putting Lonely on a DI playlist... I was mesmerised by its atmosphere, and though the records that followed undoubtedly expanded on his sound, I still have a real soft spot for Closing Time because it so closely evokes that down-on-his-luck bum playing on a piano in a bar at like 2am and no one's listening. It's a gorgeous album.

Swordfishtrombones still blows my mind every time I listen to it. The range found on this album is fucking astonishing, I can't imagine hearing it and not being captivated. 16 Shells is such a banger, Frank's Wild Years I will never ever tire of, Town With No Cheer is amaaaazing, the whole thing rules.

Small Change is pretty close to Closing Time and has one of my all-time favourite songs in The Piano Has Been Drinking. Fucking adore that song. And I have just listened to Saturday Night for the first time over the past week: fucking great album, the standouts for me being Shiver Me Timbers, the title track, San Diego Serenade and Diamonds on My Windshield.

Let's talk!!!

:bump:

Been getting back into Waits since those reviews of the Asylum era records went up. Let's chat.

I've heard five of his records: Closing Time, The Heart of Saturday Night, Small Change, Swordfishtrombones and Bad as Me.

Closing Time is my sentimental favourite. What got me into Waits in the first place was LM putting Lonely on a DI playlist... I was mesmerised by its atmosphere, and though the records that followed undoubtedly expanded on his sound, I still have a real soft spot for Closing Time because it so closely evokes that down-on-his-luck bum playing on a piano in a bar at like 2am and no one's listening. It's a gorgeous album.

Swordfishtrombones still blows my mind every time I listen to it. The range found on this album is fucking astonishing, I can't imagine hearing it and not being captivated. 16 Shells is such a banger, Frank's Wild Years I will never ever tire of, Town With No Cheer is amaaaazing, the whole thing rules.

Small Change is pretty close to Closing Time and has one of my all-time favourite songs in The Piano Has Been Drinking. Fucking adore that song. And I have just listened to Saturday Night for the first time over the past week: fucking great album, the standouts for me being Shiver Me Timbers, the title track, San Diego Serenade and Diamonds on My Windshield.

Let's talk!!!

We can talk when you listen to Rain Dogs.

And Blue Valentine.

Back
Top Bottom