The appreciation thread for Tom Waits, genius.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just pre-ordered it on Amazon. I wonder what the second disc entails.

3 extra songs, nothing special. it's more stupid packaging than anything else. think atomic bomb (ok, i admit i haven't actually looked through the booklet yet, but i don't have a lot of patience for so-called deluxe editions that are mostly just fancy cardboard). i bought it anyway :uhoh:

Heard the title track earlier today and looooooooved it. Will try to listen to the whole thing sometime soon. Hopefully it pops up on the Spotify.

3 extra songs, nothing special. it's more stupid packaging than anything else. think atomic bomb (ok, i admit i haven't actually looked through the booklet yet, but i don't have a lot of patience for so-called deluxe editions that are mostly just fancy cardboard). i bought it anyway :uhoh:
Meh. I'm not fussed. More Waits is more Waits.

Meh. I'm not fussed. More Waits is more Waits.

yeah, and since i intentionally opted to spend the extra 4 bucks after looking at both versions and reading on the sticker how they differed, i can't really complain much. the lyrics are all there and readable, and it does look pretty nice.

and i think "get lost" and the title track are currently in the running for some of my favorite waits ever, actually.

Is it too early to suggest this is the best Waits since Rain Dogs?

And by too early I mean I've only made it thru track 5 on my first listen. And I heard part of Kiss Me on NPR yesterday.

:love:

I keep tracking my amazon order, waiting for it to get in-state at least.

Mule Variations dukes it out with Rain Dogs as for favorite T-Dub, with Small Change and Nighthawks (even Blue Valentine) nipping at their heels. I'm really high on Bad as Me, but it's unlikely to approach the first two.

Well I wasn't saying it was better than Rain Dogs; I don't think he's really come close to matching that.

You and LM mentioned my other two "modern" favorites; I'm pretty sure it's better than one of them (Alice), and I'll have to hear it more to determine whether or not it tops Mule Variations.
I'm not over the moon about Bone Machine so that's no contest for me.

I like his pre-Rain Dogs stuff better anyhow, but Alice and Bone Machine are more unique to me, and I'll probably end up listening to them more for that reason. Bad As Me is great though and I'm glad to see we're all in agreement on this.

Swordfishtrombones is still my favorite.

I'm a little confused; you say you prefer the pre-Rain Dogs stuff, but Swordfish is your favorite? While it came right before, they're cut from the same cloth, and Swordfish is not the end of a Waits era but more the beginning of the next.

So I have the following three albums from Waits:

Closing Time
Rain Dogs
Swordfishtrombones

The consensus seems to be that Bone Machine, Alice, and Mule Variations should be my next three. Does that seem right?

I'm a little confused; you say you prefer the pre-Rain Dogs stuff, but Swordfish is your favorite? While it came right before, they're cut from the same cloth, and Swordfish is not the end of a Waits era but more the beginning of the next.

I made the distinction because Swordfishtrombones is my favorite; it's more convenient to just call it pre-Rain Dogs than have to explain that I generally like the stuff before Swordfishtrombones most but still love Swordfishtrombones more than anything else in his discography.

Or maybe it's not.

The consensus seems to be that Bone Machine, Alice, and Mule Variations should be my next three. Does that seem right?

I would say so. Bad As Me is pretty popular around here, so you may have someone pick out one of those three and replace it with that.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--!

My Tom Waits album was returned to Amazon as undeliverable.

That blows.

I haven't gotten mine yet either. I was going to crank up my new purchases on a little road trip up the mountain this weekend.

I need to figure out exactly when I need to place an Amazon order so that it reaches me on or by Fridays.

that's not cool. a PO box kind of issue with the shipping method or something? or did they just decide they don't like you?

that's not cool. a PO box kind of issue with the shipping method or something? or did they just decide they don't like you?

I think they're afraid to give me my stuff now that they know I'm a supervillain.

Actually, they changed our zip code and Amazon put the old one on it even though I put in the new one AND the postal service said they'd still deliver stuff with the old one until June of 2012.

I want my Waits album, dammit.

I think they're afraid to give me my stuff now that they know I'm a supervillain.

:lol:

what was that thing at the end of the list about my little pony? i never was into that stuff because i had ninja turtles that weren't pink or involve glitter, but i feel like i might have been missing an evil mastermind now. say it ain't so. no really, what was that about my little pony on that list or similar fictional and real that you posted?

:lol:

what was that thing at the end of the list about my little pony? i never was into that stuff because i had ninja turtles that weren't pink or involve glitter, but i feel like i might have been missing an evil mastermind now. say it ain't so. no really, what was that about my little pony on that list or similar fictional and real that you posted?

I have no idea. One of them has the same personality as you and I, I guess. How can you tell with My Little Pony, ffs?

The United States Postal Service has reconsidered their denial of delivery of my Tom Waits album. It was on my porch (WTF?) this morning. :D

Back
Top Bottom