The Antlers - Burst Apart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Sad Punk

Blue Crack Addict
May 10th.

antlers_3.jpg

Hospice was a beautifully understated, somber album. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to this one.

Hospice definitely grew on me in time. I'm curious to see if they clean up their sound with this one or go a shade darker, assuming such a thing is possible. Axver may know of such a place.

I can't recall the title, but they played a new track when I saw them last month. What matters is that a) it was good and b) it was more upbeat than the typical Hospice fare.

Hospice definitely grew on me in time. I'm curious to see if they clean up their sound with this one or go a shade darker, assuming such a thing is possible. Axver may know of such a place.

Yes, but it's all too tortured to type.

I can't recall the title, but they played a new track when I saw them last month. What matters is that a) it was good and b) it was more upbeat than the typical Hospice fare.

What were they like live? I kind of considered it ... but then I think Warpaint were on the same night.

I am not a huge fan of them live. I found myself incredibly bored at Lolla, and john described the show he saw pretty horrifically to me last year.

I thought they were fine, but I'm going to describe them as AMAZING just to balance out the irrational hatred everyone has for their live show.

I honestly thought they were pretty damn good, and the crowd was definitely into it. They came on right after Bear in Heaven so I was probably just in such ecstasy that I didn't notice that one of the amps was on fire or whatever made youse guys have such bad experiences.

Yeah, honestly the negative comments were part of what made me think twice (the other parts being the cost and the fact I've been too lazy to check out Bear In Heaven). Glad I did, because that Warpaint gig was added pretty late in the picture and they were fucking excellent.

I heard something from the new album on the radio this morning, it was good.

This album is really sticking with me after only one listen. I love the falsetto that permeates the album - it fits the mood perfectly.

Dear God. I don't want to exaggerate too much, but this album was beautiful. Just beautiful. The opening track took me off guard and nearly moved me to tears. I did not see this coming at all. How lovely.

And, to balance things out a bit, I was not nearly so moved. It's a good record, very consistent and overall a nice progression from Hospice, but the peaks just aren't there. Sylvia, Bear and Two easily trump everything here, and the lyrics obviously didn't make the same emotional connection as those of Hospice, which I expected coming in.

The thing is, Antlers albums don't reveal themselves at Lancemomian speeds, so I'll be happy to let it grow on me. I wasn't sold on Hospice until relatively recently.

This album needs more attention. I'm feeling a top-ten placement in my personal year-end list for this one.

It's #2 for me right now. I haven't been able to spend a lot of time with it yet. Once summer arrives and I have a more set schedule (with subbing, I'm never sure if I'm working the next day, and it keeps me on edge/makes me go to bed earlier) I'll catch up on a lot of stuff i've missed from this year.

I went to a reliable music store yesterday hoping to purchase this and the new Okkervil River album, they had neither in stock and had no idea when they would be released here.

What the shit, Australia? I don't want to computer this stuff.

I just listened to "I Don't Want Love" and am now actively seeking out more Antlers stuff (kinda just pickin' & choosin' from one youtube link to the other atm).

srly, u guyz... i m n luv w/ that songgg

This has grown on me. The same problem I had with it at first still prevents it from being as good as Hospice; the warm, laid-back vibe, coupled with the lack of a lyrical theme turns it into background music if I'm doing something else as I listen, but I'm starting to remember individual tracks. I Don't Want Love and Every Night My Teeth Are Falling Out keep bringing me back, and I don't dislike anything on the album.

Back
Top Bottom