The 60's & 70's - What essentials am I missing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's damn close. By my count, you have 46 and he has 45.

I should count how many I have, but it would take forever. Probably around 150 or so. That's not counting my parents' vinyl collection, which amounts to around 100.

Sounds about right. My total is 128, according to an Excel spreadsheet.

No, Pfan, your list is not weaker. :lol: There are more albums there, and better variety.

I have Michael Jackson, Kraftwerk and Gary Numan along with the psychedelic/rock stuff. :tongue: But seriously, we both need more essentials! I'm about to go on a huge 60s CD buying binge of Byrds/Kinks/Cream etc.

It's damn close. By my count, you have 46 and he has 45.

Haha mine is 46 too now. Forgot about Van Halen's Van Halen.

I have Michael Jackson, Kraftwerk and Gary Numan along with the psychedelic/rock stuff. :tongue: But seriously, we both need more essentials! I'm about to go on a huge 60s CD buying binge of Byrds/Kinks/Cream etc.

Nice. :up: If you enjoy that early Michael Jackson stuff, the Parliament/Funkadelic records I mentioned are a must. They're funkier and more guitar-heavy, but that's hardly a bad thing.

This is what I would suggest (based upon what I've learned of your tastes over the years :wink: ):

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
Cream - Disraeli Gears
Leonard Cohen - The Songs of Leonard Cohen; New Skin For The Old Ceremony
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
Supertramp - Crime Of The Century; Breakfast In America
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left; Pink Moon
Neil Young - After The Gold Rush; Rust Never Sleeps
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Television - Marquee Moon
Dylan - Blood On The Tracks
Dire Straits - Dire Straits

Thanks Steph! :wink: Black Sabbath :up:

Okay so BMG music has a sale right now... they always have something going on anyway but this one looks pretty good. Only 6 bucks for each CD plus free shipping plus triple music points provided I buy at least 4 CDs. The music points might even accumulate enough to get me an extra CD so cool... I start browsing their site, right... their collection is shit! lol... I mean they do have lots of albums by certain artists but.... none of the popular Dylan albums except for one which wasn't familiar to me, nothing by the Byrds, none of the albums you guys recommended by the Kinks but they have a bunch of other stuff including some hits package of their 70s hits or something. At least they did have Disraeli Gears. So I'm gonna get that one I think. And they have a decent amount of the Who catalogue. So I might get Who's Next, Tommy, Live at Leeds etc. But I really wanted to start with Byrds Greatest Hits and Village Preservation Society but they don't have either! BMG = EPIC PHAIL!

Thanks Steph! :wink: Black Sabbath :up:

Okay so BMG music has a sale right now... they always have something going on anyway but this one looks pretty good. Only 6 bucks for each CD plus free shipping plus triple music points provided I buy at least 4 CDs. The music points might even accumulate enough to get me an extra CD so cool... I start browsing their site, right... their collection is shit! lol... I mean they do have lots of albums by certain artists but.... none of the popular Dylan albums except for one which wasn't familiar to me, nothing by the Byrds, none of the albums you guys recommended by the Kinks but they have a bunch of other stuff including some hits package of their 70s hits or something. At least they did have Disraeli Gears. So I'm gonna get that one I think. And they have a decent amount of the Who catalogue. So I might get Who's Next, Tommy, Live at Leeds etc. But I really wanted to start with Byrds Greatest Hits and Village Preservation Society but they don't have either! BMG = EPIC PHAIL!

You should try the Amazon.com marketplace. You can find most stuff for 8-9 bucks after shipping on the HIGH end, and as cheap as like 3-4 bucks after shipping on the LOW end.

Yeah I am looking at the amazon marketplace actually. That's where I'll have to get those albums. OR the used CD store I frequent in Princeton. :drool::drool::drool:

Oh and BMG has only one Hendrix album, Band of Gypsys. Only one! :down:

I r 2 lazie 4 reedz hole thred rite naow, butt I just wanted to make sure someone has mentioned these (which likely has already happened):

Television - 'Marquee Moon' 1977
Joy Division - 'Unknown Pleasures' 1979
Gang of Four - 'Entertainment!' 1979

:up:

I r 2 lazie 4 reedz hole thred rite naow, butt I just wanted to make sure someone has mentioned these (which likely has already happened):

Got you covered there, Scumbo. Mentioned them all on page 3.

Okay since I wanted to take advantage of that offer from bmg no matter how limited the selection, I have just made a purchase. 4 albums for about 27 bucks total.

Cream - Disraeli Gears
The Who - The Who Sell Out
The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed
The Who - Who's Next (It's high time I owned this one. I have all the hits from it anyway!)

I was originally thinking of getting Tommy but The Who Sell Out seemed too interesting a concept to pass on. And I think with this purchase I will qualify for another free CD (still have to pay S&H) so my choices are Tommy, Live at Leeds, VU self titled, A Love Supreme, Music from Big Pink or The Band self titled. These are the only ones available.. that I'm interested in. I might go with VU or Coltrane, not sure. :hmm:

But I'm psyched to listen to some psychedelia now! :wink:

Okay since I wanted to take advantage of that offer from bmg no matter how limited the selection, I have just made a purchase. 4 albums for about 27 bucks total.

Cream - Disraeli Gears
The Who - The Who Sell Out
The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed
The Who - Who's Next (It's high time I owned this one. I have all the hits from it anyway!)

I was originally thinking of getting Tommy but The Who Sell Out seemed too interesting a concept to pass on. And I think with this purchase I will qualify for another free CD (still have to pay S&H) so my choices are Tommy, Live at Leeds, VU self titled, A Love Supreme, Music from Big Pink or The Band self titled. These are the only ones available.. that I'm interested in. I might go with VU or Coltrane, not sure. :hmm:

But I'm psyched to listen to some psychedelia now! :wink:

Great choices, especially The Who Sell Out over Tommy. :wink:

If I were you, I'd take Music From Big Pink or VU's self-titled to go along with that.

none of the popular Dylan albums except for one which wasn't familiar to me

So which Dylan album(s) did they have? With that guy, even his lesser known albums may contain many gems. Though he also has a few that are not suitable as introduction to the artist. :)

So which Dylan album(s) did they have? With that guy, even his lesser known albums may contain many gems. Though he also has a few that are not suitable as introduction to the artist. :)

I just checked. It's a single disc hits compilation released in 2007. I already have a self made compilation so this is :down:

You'd think they'd at least have Highway61 or Blood on the Tracks! :coocoo:

I think I'm the only person in the world who finds Marquee Moon terribly overrated and actually prefers their 2nd album, although neither has aged well.

So... :shifty:

I couldn't wait for the other 4 in the mail and so I...

downloaded

B00000ICO0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

and bought

BillyJoel_StrangerCD.jpg

Oh lemonmelonmemon... I wanted to ask you before but forgot... do you actually have all those albums you recommended? The other question I won't ask you is how much of those did you purchase. ;)

Nope. I am familiar with the music of all of the artists I recommended, so I know the albums are worth a listen, but I don't "own" all of them. However, 85% of them I have on CD-R or digital.

And few I have bought, yes. :wink:

Just wanted to comment on an older post...

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass

I have this on my wish list now.

John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band
John Lennon - Imagine

As important as these albums are, I already have most of the songs from both albums on the 2 disc Lennon collection titled Working Class Hero, which came out a few years back. So I'm not gonna bother with these albums now when there are more important ones to get.

Now that I'm expecting Cream, The Who and The Moody Blues in the mail and will probably get VU's self titled with that extra CD from BMG, I need to let all this music sink in.

My next move after this that I'm really looking forward to (if I still have any money left) is the Buffalo Springfield/CSNY/Neil Young route. :drool::drool::drool:

ETA: In the midst of all this, I'm already covering a significant part of Billy Joel's best albums!

Last edited:
Oh geez! There's too many Neil Young albums! :crazy: :lol:

Maybe I should start with his single disc Greatest Hits. But I'll end up not getting anything else. :|

Oh geez! There's too many Neil Young albums! :crazy: :lol:

Maybe I should start with his single disc Greatest Hits. But I'll end up not getting anything else. :|

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere and After The Gold Rush are where you should start. The former if you want to rock out, the latter if you don't.

I've never heard a Neil Young album. Should I? Has any of his stuff ever been remastered?

His greatest hits set was.

Like I said to Zoots, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere and After The Gold Rush are where you start. EKTIN rocks harder, but ATGR has a bunch of essential Neil Young tracks.

With as much as possible, I try to get remasters on older stuff, so I think I'll start with the greatest hits. :reject:

As important as these albums are, I already have most of the songs from both albums on the 2 disc Lennon collection titled Working Class Hero, which came out a few years back. So I'm not gonna bother with these albums now when there are more important ones to get.

Yeah. You've got about half of those two albums, I suppose. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom