The 60's & 70's - What essentials am I missing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With as much as possible, I try to get remasters on older stuff, so I think I'll start with the greatest hits. :reject:

There's nothing wrong with the original master of After The Gold Rush. The songs on the GH compilation are simply louder - there's no discernable difference in audio quality.

There's nothing wrong with the original master of After The Gold Rush. The songs on the GH compilation are simply louder - there's no discernable difference in audio quality.

And this goes for most remastering jobs. The Beatles' Love, Modest Mouse's re-released Moon And Antarctica, and the Joshua Tree remaster are the only ones I can think of that made any noticeable difference.

In fact, most times LOUDER does not equal better (but rather, means it sounds worse). Also for many 60s and 70s albums, their original CD editions sound wonderful, if not better than recent remasters.

I don't know about most times, but yes, a lot of times if it's a remaster that the record company just churned out, then it's not necessarily better sound quality.

However, I find remasters where the artist was heavily involved to be done very well.

Okay. I want to get into the following albums. All of them feature Crosby, Stills, Nash and/or Young at some stage of their career.

The Byrds - Greatest Hits *
Buffalo Springfield - Buffalo Springfield *
Buffalo Springfield - Buffalo Springfield Again
Neil Young - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere *
Crosby, Stills & Nash - Crosby, Stills & Nash
Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Déja vu
Neil Young - Harvest

The ones with the asterisk next to them, I already have. But what's the best way to go about listening to these albums? I mean if I go chronologically, I guess I'll get to hear the development of each singer. But does it even matter? I'm dying to get After the Gold Rush. But is it better to listen to Buffalo Springfield Again first?

Those albums are all completely different from one another. :shrugs: The Byrds sound absolutely nothing like early Neil Young to me. Probably best to go chronological with it.

Well I figured since those albums feature a lot of the same people (to an extent... I mean I know the Byrds only featured Crosby out of CSNY) that perhaps going in a certain order would provide a better listening experience. But going chronologically is the obvious answer I guess. After all, that's how people listened to them in the first place! Anyway, thanks for your input. :up:

Btw, you don't think those albums are musically of the same thread?

Btw, you don't think those albums are musically of the same thread?

Well, there are some folk guitars on all of them, and they helped pioneer country rock (along with Gram Parsons' GP, Grievous Angel, and The Byrds' own Sweetheart Of The Rodeo), but that's about it.

Okay. I want to get into the following albums. All of them feature Crosby, Stills, Nash and/or Young at some stage of their career.

The Byrds - Greatest Hits *
Buffalo Springfield - Buffalo Springfield *
Buffalo Springfield - Buffalo Springfield Again
Neil Young - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere *
Crosby, Stills & Nash - Crosby, Stills & Nash
Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Déja vu
Neil Young - Harvest

The ones with the asterisk next to them, I already have. But what's the best way to go about listening to these albums? I mean if I go chronologically, I guess I'll get to hear the development of each singer. But does it even matter? I'm dying to get After the Gold Rush. But is it better to listen to Buffalo Springfield Again first?

Seriously, get After the Gold Rush now. The other albums in that list are good, some even great, but ATGR is a masterpiece. I guess there's nothing wrong with listening to them chronologically, though, if that's the route you'd like to take.

Oh, and you should probably add Rust Never Sleeps to that list. It's better to burn out than to fade away, my my, hey hey. :love:

Hendrix - Are you experienced?

Fleetwood Mac - Rumors

Bad Company - Bad Company

Eagles - Hotel California

Lynryd Skynyrd - Skynyrd's Innards

Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic

Rush - Farewell to Kings

I'm gonna keep this list and thread in check, methinks. :hmm:

My recommendations Zoots? Definitiely get Aladdin Sane, by David Bowie, which isn't his best but has about five utter mindblowingly doog songs, and also Pink Moon by Nick Drake.

Back
Top Bottom