The 2011 Grammy Nominations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GirlsAloudFan

Blue Crack Addict
Album Of The Year:
Arcade Fire- The Suburbs
Eminem- Recovery
Lady Antebellum- Need You Now
Lady GaGa- The Fame Monster
Katy Perry- Teenage Dream

Song Of The Year:
Ray Montagne- Beg Steal Or Borrow
Cee Lo Green- Fuck You
Miranda Lambert- The House That Built Me
Eminem Feat. Rihanna- Love The Way You Lie

Best New Artist:
Justin Bieber
Drake
Florence & The Machine
Mumford & Suns
Esperanza Spalding

Record of The Year:
B.O.B. Feat. Bruno Mars- Nothin' On You
Cee Lo Green- Fuck You
Jay Z & Alicia Keys- Empire State Of Mind

Best Rock Album:
Jeff Beck - Emotion & Commotion
Muse - The Resistance
Pearl Jam - Backspacer
Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - Mojo
Neil Young - Le Noise

Best Alternative Music Album:
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Band Of Horses - Infinite Arms
The Black Keys - Brothers
Broken Bells - Broken Bells
Vampire Weekend - Contra

Best Rap Album:
B.o.B - The Adventures of Bobby Ray
Drake - Thank Me Later
Eminem - Recovery
Jay-Z - The Blueprint 3
The Roots - How I Got Over

Best Pop Vocal Album:
Justin Bieber - My World 2.0
Susan Boyle - I Dreamed A Dream
Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster
John Mayer - Battle Studies
Katy Perry - Teenage Dream

Nominees | GRAMMY.com

Somehow less offensive than usual, but it still pisses me off in spots. Easily one of the weakest batches of alternative albums in years. Shouldn't surprise me in the slightest that the top 5 were all the best-selling of the year, rather than the best. Ray Montagne being nominated for song of the year made my day.

This, however, is a damn shame:

Best Rap Album:
B.o.B - The Adventures of Bobby Ray
Drake - Thank Me Later
Eminem - Recovery
Jay-Z - The Blueprint 3
The Roots - How I Got Over

Thank Me Later is no more rap than 808s And Heartbreak, Jay-Z's should have been an EP, and Em's album was panned by nearly everyone in the rap community. B.O.B's is fun but too scatterbrained to deserve it. That leaves The Roots, whose album is good, although it's not really their best. Where the hell is Big Boi?

The pop vocal album list is what's wrong with radio today.

Looking at the Album of the Year award, there's absolutely no way KP or Lady Antebellum will win. So that award is down to either Arcade Fire, Gaga, or Eminem. Honestly, I'd be happy with either Arcade Fire or Gaga getting it. AF deserves it out of that group, and the Suburbs is in my top 3 albums of 2010, so that'd be cool. And The Fame Monster had a clutch of really memorable singles, including one of the best and biggest zeitgeist-capturing pop songs that I can remember. (How the fuck was Bad Romance snubbed for both Record and Song of the Year, considering the mainstream bent of these noms and the other nominees? That's a serious head scratcher.)

And, of course, I hope Backspacer wins Rock Album, although Eddie and the guys wouldn't give two shits if they won the award.

And, of course, I hope Backspacer wins Rock Album, although Eddie and the guys wouldn't give two shits if they won the award.

Probably. Although I would make the argument that Neil Young will win it, just because he's fucking old.

And, yeah, it's a good record. A lot more creative than Backspacer, which PJ sort of mailed in.

With AF nominated in two album categories, I think it'll win in the alternative category over album of the year.

Ray LaMontagne (y'all are missing the "La"!) is quite random, but I like him a lot.

Nice to see "Fuck You" up there a few times.

Esperanza Spalding is not "new," but I suppose that's not shocking for that weird category. (I heard about her yesterday while reading about NPR's top album picks, and saw she had videos on YouTube from her debut album in 2008.)

I'm a Muse fan, but I don't think The Resistance is all that great.

I copied and pasted that short list from somewhere and can't believe that I didn't catch that it was missing the La in LaMontagne. Damn.

I don't know much about his music at all, but I remember that he wrote a song about Meg White a couple years back. That was pretty cool.

Yeah, I think AF has a really good chance in the alternative album category as opposed to Album of the Year. I think they deserve that one tho but I am pretty sure it will go to GaGa or Eminem.

I hope Muse gets at least one out of the three they are nominated for. :love:

I truly hope Bieber doesn't win best new artist. That would be an all-time low.

Album Of The Year:
Arcade Fire- The Suburbs

Song Of The Year:
Cee Lo Green- Fuck You

Best New Artist:
Mumford & Suns

Record of The Year:
Jay Z & Alicia Keys- Empire State Of Mind

Best Rock Album:
Neil Young - Le Noise

Best Alternative Music Album:
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

Best Rap Album:
Eminem - Recovery

Best Pop Vocal Album:
Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster

There's a lot of Bieber hate in the world these days. What did THE BIEB! ever do to you guys?

I'd rather the Bieb win that category than Mumford & Sons. So god damn bad.

Does anyone know who exactly votes on these nominations? It seems as though it must be record company lobbyists or something.

This is the most obvious attempt at playing to all fields :lol:. Pop-obsessed, mainstream indie hipsters (yes, thanks to bands like AF there is such a demographic), tweens, older listeners, radio country devotees (though I heard even hip-hop fans, etc., it really comes off as a desperate plea for relevancy, but I gotta say I'm kind of pleasantly surprised that they'd nominate The Black Keys.

Isn't Lady Antebellum's album supposed to be terrible? I'm thinking it got nominated simply because it is one of the few commercial smashes in these piracy-plagued times.

Album Of The Year:
Song Of The Year:
Ray Montagne- Beg Steal Or Borrow
Cee Lo Green- Fuck You
Miranda Lambert- The House That Built Me
wow, i really do live under a rock far away from the mainstream. i have never heard or heard of any of those songs.

same goes for roughly 95% (because they're pretty much all the same 15 bands/artists in every single category. nice variety...not that i'd really expect anything more from that stupid award show) of the other nominees.

:down:

what year did they do the london calling tribute thing? cos i think that was the last time i gave a shit about the grammys. ah, to be young and stupid again!

so curiosity got the best of me, and i went to youtube to hear some of this stuff. pretty sure cee lo green just secured himself a spot on my ever-changing list of top 5 worst songs i've ever heard in my life at #3, right behind paper planes and bad romance.

so curiosity got the best of me, and i went to youtube to hear some of this stuff. pretty sure cee lo green just secured himself a spot on my ever-changing list of top 5 worst songs i've ever heard in my life at #3, right behind paper planes and bad romance.

You are so post-Pitchfork.

Isn't Lady Antebellum's album supposed to be terrible? I'm thinking it got nominated simply because it is one of the few commercial smashes in these piracy-plagued times.

A pretty good guess, I'd say. That's what I've heard, too, the group's too "commercial" now and stuff ("Need You Now" had the crap played out of it here in town ALL summer, swear to God. And I heard it a million times when I lived in South Dakota before that). Not knowing squat about Lady Antebellum outside of the couple hits of theirs that came out this year, I can't compare old stuff to new stuff, but meh, sounds like the same complaint every band goes through.

Anywho...wow, some stuff I like in the nominee lists this year! Guess I'll have to watch the show, then :). Pleasant surprise to see Muse get some attention, I'll ditto the sentiment that they win at least one thing they're up for, if not more :up:. Otherwise, seems like the typical "Hey, this song was big on the radio/this artist got talked about a lot, so let's put them as a nominee!" setup.

I don't recall seeing U2 listed anywhere in the nominee lists. I think that has to be a first :p.

Best New Artist:
Justin Bieber
Drake
Florence & The Machine
Mumford & Suns
Esperanza Spalding

...:huh: :lol: I love how this category is always such a random jumble of artists (who on earth is Esperanza Spalding? I mean, hey, if they're a good artist, cool, just...not exactly a household name). I'll likely be rooting for Florence & The Machine here (I've only heard one Mumford & Suns song. But I rather liked it).

As for Bieber, meh. He's there. I'm not 12 years old, so of course he's not going to appeal to me. He's like any other teen pop fad, so I don't get too bothered by the freakout over him.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom