The 200 Best Albums of the 60s - p4k - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2017, 12:49 AM   #1
45:33

Local Time: 01:13 AM
The 200 Best Albums of the 60s - p4k

Now THIS is gonna ruffle some feathers.

The 200 Best Albums of the 1960s | Pitchfork

Thought I'd post it as a thread rather than a link in RMT as this should engender some great discussion.

Trigger warning - Sgt Peppers #28.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:32 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:13 AM
A Beatles album should have been #1, not necessarily Peppers, but they were the best band of the decade.

I would have been cool with any of Revolver, Peppers, White Album, or Abbey Road as top dog. I've never heard a couple of those really highly ranked ones (Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone). Should probably check those out. Pet Sounds is an absolute stunner but it's not better than ANYTHING the Beatles recorded.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:33 AM   #3

You can't argue with VU&N being number one I don't think.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:36 AM   #4
you are what you is

Local Time: 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Pet Sounds is an absolute stunner but it's not better than ANYTHING the Beatles recorded.
Except, that it is.
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:38 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Nah
Old 08-22-2017, 02:02 AM   #6
The Male

Local Time: 08:13 AM
As with most lists like this, the albums are great but the order is absolutely terrible. Does anyone actually think a Supremes album is better than Astral Weeks? Do people even listen to full Supremes albums? I've heard that album and it's a solid 7, which is good for the era, but it's ranked above dozens of masterpieces for no good reason.

Don't even get me started on the fucking Shaggs even making this list, let alone ranking above the huge number of great jazz records making up the bottom of the list. It's a nice meme, and the album is cute, but let's be real here.

The only thing these lists are good for is discovering new music and I will certainly do that. I'm glad for that much.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:39 AM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
A Beatles album should have been #1, not necessarily Peppers, but they were the best band of the decade.

I would have been cool with any of Revolver, Peppers, White Album, or Abbey Road as top dog. I've never heard a couple of those really highly ranked ones (Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone). Should probably check those out. Pet Sounds is an absolute stunner but it's not better than ANYTHING the Beatles recorded.
I'll agree with your opening statement. And I don't think Pet Sounds is quite as good as The Beatles' few best. But it's certainly better than the early albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
You can't argue with VU&N being number one I don't think.
Yes we can.

I respect that album a lot more than I listen to it. I prefer the self-titled as well as Loaded, personally.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:42 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I'll agree with your opening statement. And I don't think Pet Sounds is quite as good as The Beatles' few best. But it's certainly better than the early albums.

Yes we can.

I respect that album a lot more than I listen to it. I prefer the self-titled as well as Loaded, personally.
Yeah, I totally phrased that in a confusing way. I didn't mean that every single Beatles album is better than Pet Sounds. I'd say four or five of them probably are, though.

My post should have said "Pet Sounds is an absolute stunner but it's not better than EVERY Beatles album."
Old 08-22-2017, 02:50 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

It's about on par with Rubber Soul in my mind and behind Revolver, Peppers, White Album, and Abbey Road.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:00 AM   #10
The Male

River Deep - Mountain High is the highest ranked album on here that I hadn't already heard, so I guess I'll check that out ASAP. It's got one classic track at least.

And yes, hugely arguable that VU&N is the best album to come out of the 60s. It's a great example of the rock counterculture and the kind of album that P4k should be celebrating, but there are a number of better albums on this list. I don't sit around and listen to Run Run Run or European Son, but much of that album is fantastic.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:45 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Regardless of the order, there is nothing like this to get you delving into a whole stack of 60s albums you haven't listened to in yonks.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:56 AM   #12

I mean VU&N is not all that enjoyable of an album. I haven't listened to it in years, the last two songs are absolutely shithouse and there's a ton of 60s albums better than it, BUT, pound-for-pound, its influence puts it at the top. Beatles influence overall obviously greater but not on one album. Soul and jazz are both fragmented across a huge range of artists. Pet Sounds deserving of its spot but it's so squeaky clean. I think VU&N is the correct choice.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:15 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:13 AM
Nice to see a bunch of Tropicália stuff make the list. Good job.

Good collection of jazz albums, which seems like a deliberate effort to correct the oversight of their other decade lists. The highest ranking jazz album from on the 1970s list was Bitches Brew at #18, which is crazy. But the order is debatable. There's no way I'd rank Out to Lunch! as the third best jazz record of the 1960s. It's not an outrageous choice, and kind of analogous to picking VU&N over Beatles, but Sunday at the Village Vanguard, Maiden Voyage, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, Sketches of Spain, and even Getz/Gilberto (probably for sentimental reasons) rank higher for me.

Sgt Peppers and Abbey Road are simply way too low.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, no way VU&N is #1.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
There's no way I'd rank Out to Lunch! as the third best jazz record of the 1960s. It's not an outrageous choice, and kind of analogous to picking VU&N over Beatles, but Sunday at the Village Vanguard, Maiden Voyage, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, Sketches of Spain, and even Getz/Gilberto (probably for sentimental reasons) rank higher for me.
Seems like there are always a few entries on a list like this that will espouse a relatively obscure artist like Dolphy just for the hell of it. If they wanted a slightly out-there choice for a high-ranking jazz album, I would have gone with something by Andrew Hill.