The 20 "greatest" songs of this decade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For me, if I had to pick one song off of Turn On The Bright Lights, it would have to be NYC.

Anyway, this is an interesting list. I'm not even sure if there's a good song to be found on it. Sk8er Boi rocks pretty hard, but Avril has better songs. The girls' version of Teenage Dirtbag is better than the original. Umbrella and Bootylicious are pretty good little novelty songs, I guess. Whatevs. Just spitballin. I'm tired.

Could be worse. I assume it was that abysmal 20 to 1 show?

Good to see Sexyback in there and Miss Climi and also Umbrella. Dunno about KloX as number one.

Avril Lavigne has better songs in Complicated, Losing Grip and Mobile.

I heard Teenage Dirtbag just recently for the first time in a fair while, and I enjoyed it immensely. I still prefer Leroy (Is My Mojo Man) substantially more though.

Fergie's London Bridge is greater than Glamorous (as much as I do love it). I'm actually surprised they put Glamorous in ahead of Big Girls Don't Cry.

My Happiness :up:

Strange old list. Considering it was some Channel Nine dunce who probablywrote it, I'm actually quite impressed. Kinda wish I watched this now.

Sandi Thom, Anthony Callea, JXL, Anastacia can go and shove it.

And yeah, there should be Beautiful Day.

Yeah, 20 to 1. Bert should have stuck to GMA. You however, are a legend, I agree with most of what you said here. My Happiness is awesome, and I thought I was the only person on the planet who remembered Leroy!!

I'll throw my hat into the ring for love of "NYC" as well.

However this list makes me want to become even more of a pop-music recluse than I've been over the past few years. Dear lord do not put 'greatest' on a list of your opinion, particularly when you probably don't have too much of a cross-section of music in your interests.

The list is pretty much shite but what else did you expect from such a countdown?

Btw, indie diehards like impy13 and LemonMelon liking a song such as Umbrella, is something I cannot get my head around.

elfa.com :lol:

Btw, I actually went and bought Rihanna's Good Girl Gone Bad the other day. It makes for bitchin' driving music!
cookiemonster.gif

Btw, indie diehards like impy13 and LemonMelon liking a song such as Umbrella, is something I cannot get my head around.

Umbrella transcends all barriers, whether it be color (in this case, white vs. pale hipster white) or taste.

Plus, when you're at a Lupe Fiasco / Kanye concert and get to see her dancing around in one of her many prostitute outfits to the song, it's hard not to like.

But she represents everything that your beloved indie bands are against... top 40/chart success/mainstream music taste.

There's more to it than just the raw chart numbers. In Rihanna's case, collaborators matter a great deal. On Umbrella, Tricky, one of the founders of trip-hop and all-around indietastic guy, had a hand in the production. Also, Jay-Z collaborated on the track. He may have cracked the mainstream, but he still has a great deal of credibility.

Okay, care to explain what I don't understand about indie music fans, smart guy? :wink:

While I will agree that there are certainly many hipsters out there who ONLY like indie music because it's not popular, I'd personally say the majority are just straight up music fans who only like indie music because they are just interested in music, not how a beauty queen looks in an MTV video. I'd say you're more likely to an "indie" fan who appreciates an actual good mainstream pop song, than the douchey kind who hates anything that has fans. It's like this forum though, where unfortunately the well grounded types aren't the most vocal or annoying, and thus it's easier to make assumptions about an entire scene based off of one or two annoying types. :wink:

I was listening to my local independent community supported radio station this morning, and a guest brought up the fact that you're more likely to hear many household name type classic artists (like Neil Yong, Bob Dylan, etc) on an independent station than a mainstream station, as the mainstream station is ultra concerned about living up to what their respective advertisers want played to get more ratings, where as the independent station is just playing songs they think are good. I've heard more Clash and U2 "back catalog" tracks on this station than I even hear "big hits" on main stream stations.

The best thing about the scene in my opinion is a focus on the music, not on all the annoying unrelated crapola (image, advertising, looks, fame, sales, popularity, etc).

The best thing about the scene in my opinion is a focus on the music, not on all the annoying unrelated crapola (image, advertising, looks, fame, sales, popularity, etc).

:up:

Although, it must be said, labels do capitalize on the indie "scene" from time to time. I have a few specific artists in mind that shall remain nameless. It even transfers over to film. I've always suspected that Nick And Nora's Infinite Playlist was created in a lab, engineered to be consumed by younger hipster audiences.

While I will agree that there are certainly many hipsters out there who ONLY like indie music because it's not popular, I'd personally say the majority are just straight up music fans who only like indie music because they are just interested in music, not how a beauty queen looks in an MTV video. I'd say you're more likely to an "indie" fan who appreciates an actual good mainstream pop song, than the douchey kind who hates anything that has fans. It's like this forum though, where unfortunately the well grounded types aren't the most vocal or annoying, and thus it's easier to make assumptions about an entire scene based off of one or two annoying types. :wink:

I was listening to my local independent community supported radio station this morning, and a guest brought up the fact that you're more likely to hear many household name type classic artists (like Neil Yong, Bob Dylan, etc) on an independent station than a mainstream station, as the mainstream station is ultra concerned about living up to what their respective advertisers want played to get more ratings, where as the independent station is just playing songs they think are good. I've heard more Clash and U2 "back catalog" tracks on this station than I even hear "big hits" on main stream stations.

Now Zoots won't go to Urban Outfitters. Good job.

Now Zoots won't go to Urban Outfitters. Good job.

Nor will I (as I don't like to pay $40 for a super ugly skin tight t-shirt).........I'd rather pay $50 for a super ugly skin tight Radiohead tour t-shirt!

Regardless, I am glad that Zoots is posting in this section of the forum again. :up:

Here's my list. It's better than that rubbish. :sexywink:

Love is Dead - Brett Andersen
First of the Gang to Die - Morrissey
I Have Forgiven Jesus - Morrissey
Daniel - Bat for Lashes
What's a Girl to Do - Bat for Lashes
Sometimes You Can't Make it on your own - U2
Mercy - U2
Moment of Surrender - U2
Home and Dry - Pet Shop Boys
I Get Along - Pet Shop Boys
The Promise - Girls Aloud