The 20 "greatest" songs of this decade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow I didn't even include anything by Radiohead. But there's nothing on that list I'd drop. Possibly The Great Beyond is the only one that might be dodgy. Great song, but maybe not in the top 20 of the past 10 years.

For the hell of it (in no particular order):

Pyramid Song – Radiohead
All My Friends – LCD Soundsystem
Rebellion (Lies) – Arcade Fire
The Birth and Death of the Day – Explosions in the Sky
You’re Missing – Bruce Springsteen
All the Wine – The National
Feel Good, Inc. – Gorillaz
Break the Same – Mute Math
Wolf Like Me – TV on the Radio
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi – Radiohead
Blue Ridge Mountains – Fleet Foxes
My Mistakes Were Made for You – The Last Shadow Puppets
Summertime Clothes – Animal Collective
Sea Song – Doves
John Allyn Smith Sails – Okkervil River
Wet Sand – Red Hot Chili Peppers
One Day Like This – Elbow
A Wolf at the Door – Radiohead
My Body Is a Cage – Arcade Fire
You! Me! Dancing! – Los Campesinos!

Nor will I (as I don't like to pay $40 for a super ugly skin tight t-shirt).........I'd rather pay $50 for a super ugly skin tight Radiohead tour t-shirt!

Regardless, I am glad that Zoots is posting in this section of the forum again. :up:

But it's ORGANIC!

Me too.

For the hell of it (in no particular order):

Pyramid Song – Radiohead
All My Friends – LCD Soundsystem
Rebellion (Lies) – Arcade Fire
The Birth and Death of the Day – Explosions in the Sky
You’re Missing – Bruce Springsteen
All the Wine – The National
Feel Good, Inc. – Gorillaz
Break the Same – Mute Math
Wolf Like Me – TV on the Radio
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi – Radiohead
Blue Ridge Mountains – Fleet Foxes
My Mistakes Were Made for You – The Last Shadow Puppets
Summertime Clothes – Animal Collective
Sea Song – Doves
John Allyn Smith Sails – Okkervil River
Wet Sand – Red Hot Chili Peppers
One Day Like This – Elbow
A Wolf at the Door – Radiohead
My Body Is a Cage – Arcade Fire
You! Me! Dancing! – Los Campesinos!

Let me kick your list right in the vagina:

"Rebellion (Lies)" by Arcade Fire
"Like Eating Glass" by Bloc Party
"How It Ends" by DeVotchKa
"Caught by the River" by Doves
"The Birth and Death of the Day" by Explosions in the Sky
"Do You Realize??" by The Flaming Lips
"Clint Eastwood" by Gorillaz
"The Man Comes Around" by Johnny Cash
"Flashing Lights" by Kanye West
"North American Scum" by LCD Soundsystem
"Knights of Cydonia" by Muse
"B.O.B. (Bombs over Baghdad)" by OutKast
"The District Sleeps Alone Tonight" by The Postal Service
"Pyramid Song" by Radiohead
"New Slang" by The Shins
"Stand Inside Your Love" by Smashing Pumpkins
"Unmade Bed" by Sonic Youth
"Family Tree" by TV on the Radio
"Walk On" by U2
"Girl, You Have No Faith in Medicine" by The White Stripes

Your Postal Service, White Stripes, Kanye, and Flaming Lips songs were all tracks I considered, so kudos. But All My Friends has to be the LCD track to make it. That's non-negotiable.

No U2 tracks really even came close to my list, and I like No Line on the Horizon.

The two LCD tracks are interchangeable as far as I'm concerned. If I wasn't so averse to putting multiple artists on there, your Radiohead tracks would've made it, too. And I would've had a Fleet Foxes song.

Your Postal Service, White Stripes, Kanye, and Flaming Lips songs were all tracks I considered, so kudos. But All My Friends has to be the LCD track to make it. That's non-negotiable.

No U2 tracks really even came close to my list, and I like No Line on the Horizon.

The two LCD tracks are interchangeable as far as I'm concerned. If I wasn't so averse to putting multiple artists on there, your Radiohead tracks would've made it, too. And I would've had a Fleet Foxes song.

You're both wrong. Someone Great is perfection, while the others are merely fantastic. :dance:

(The above makes me sound like a huge Sound Of Silver supporter, but three of the tracks on there do nothing for me at all.)

You're both wrong. Someone Great is perfection, while the others are merely fantastic. :dance:

(The above makes me sound like a huge Sound Of Silver supporter, but three of the tracks on there do nothing for me at all.)

Which ones?

Which ones?

Us V Them, Watch The Tapes, Sound Of Silver. They kill the momentum for me. And it's a damn shame too, because New York I Love You is really something. A genuinely great song and very unique to LCD Soundsystem.

I'm actually preferring the debut these days. Not as many peaks, but it's really fun to throw both discs on and just get lost in the madness. Sound Of Silver is a bit too buttoned-up for me. It's impressively structured and sequenced, but the hit-to-miss ratio just isn't high enough for me at only 9 tracks. Plus, I enjoyed the debut's eclecticism, even though a few of the experiments were a bit misguided.

I think all 9 tracks on Sound of Silver are bliss. But everyone knows that already.

And Drops in the River is the best Fleet Foxes song.

Us V Them, Watch The Tapes, Sound Of Silver. They kill the momentum for me. And it's a damn shame too, because New York I Love You is really something. A genuinely great song and very unique to LCD Soundsystem.

I'm actually preferring the debut these days. Not as many peaks, but it's really fun to throw both discs on and just get lost in the madness. Sound Of Silver is a bit too buttoned-up for me. It's impressively structured and sequenced, but the hit-to-miss ratio just isn't high enough for me at only 9 tracks. Plus, I enjoyed the debut's eclecticism, even though a few of the experiments were a bit misguided.

The first two I dig a hell of a lot. It's the title track and "Get Innocuous!" that I don't love. "New York..." is fucking awesome.

All My Friends and New York I Love You are the only two that have really hit me so far, but I've only listened to the album a couple of times.

Get Innocuous is glorious. How better to start this album than a roaring funky Brian Eno tribute?

[and a different post:]

Correct!

But I've been listening to way too much LCD Soundsystem lately anyway. I'd say that I prefer SOS over the debut, despite thinking that Watch the Tapes is a pretty awful song. I rate 45:33 a lot, too.

All My Friends just blows me away every time I hear it. I played it for a friend of my father's this weekend, a guy who mostly just listens to classic rock. It blew him away like it blew me away. All seven minutes of it.

Interesting, Get Innocuous is one of the few songs from the album I think was actually worthy of the hype. I prefered the debut.
:shh:

Back
Top Bottom