The 15 year mystery... the U2-sound-a-like

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's this for looking up Canadian bands- CANOE -- JAM! Music - Pop Encyclopedia - it isn't searchable by city or region but if someone has some time it could be of use

Thanks. I'm very familiar with that website, but didn't really think it would help identify the song, so I didn't bother checking. But, you gave me an idea.

There's a section about the authors of the Encyclopedia, and it sounds like they've been heavily involved in the Canadian music scene since 1980-ish. It's a married couple, and the guy describes himself as a musicologist. Anyway, I looked for contact info, but couldn't find anything other than a website for what sounds like their indie record company. The website won't work, however. So, I googled both of them, and found their MySpace pages, which seem to be very current - at least his does, hers says that she uses Livejournal more often.

I think that it would be well worth contacting him or them. I don't have a MySpace or a Livejournal account, so I can't do it. If anyone else wants to though, here's the page:

Jaimie Vernon - MySpace.com - Jaimie Vernon - Toronto, CA - Pop / Rock - www.myspace.com/jaimievernonsmovingtargetz

Sharon Vernon - MySpace.com - Sharon - 44 - Female - Toronto, CA - www.myspace.com/se_vernon

Can I get a copy?? glueys @ gmail.com

I've got a friend in radio....I'll see if he can shed some light......:shifty:

Sorry for bumping, but if this mystery is still unsolved would it be worth putting the tune up on YouTube? It'd probably get a lot of attention if it had the right tags, eg. "u2 mystery Canada Vancouver", also maybe throw in the radio station and some of the lyrics as well as anything else that might direct the right people to it.

Sorry for bumping a thread from a while ago, but I was browsing around on allmusic for one band and happened to stumble across the 80s Canadian band 'Chalk Circle', who's lead singer Chris Tait sounds remarkably like Bono, and I remembered this thread.. however their music doesn't really sound like U2, but after some quick research I found that Tait founded another group called 'Big Faith' in the early 90s, released a couple albums and split. Found only a couple Big Faith clips, one a song called 'Grounded', the other called 'Hollow Shell' neither of which are the mystery clip, but are both in the same vein with Tait's Bono-like vocals.
MySpace.com - Chris Tait - Toronto, CA - Pop / Rock / Club - www.myspace.com/christaitsings
MySpaceTV Videos: Grounded-Big Faith by Chris Tait

I missed this when it was first posted! Could someone possibly PM me the clip? I was practically raised on obscure Canadian radio. :D

Sorry for bumping a thread from a while ago, but I was browsing around on allmusic for one band and happened to stumble across the 80s Canadian band 'Chalk Circle', who's lead singer Chris Tait sounds remarkably like Bono, and I remembered this thread.. however their music doesn't really sound like U2, but after some quick research I found that Tait founded another group called 'Big Faith' in the early 90s, released a couple albums and split. Found only a couple Big Faith clips, one a song called 'Grounded', the other called 'Hollow Shell' neither of which are the mystery clip, but are both in the same vein with Tait's Bono-like vocals.
MySpace.com - Chris Tait - Toronto, CA - Pop / Rock / Club - www.myspace.com/christaitsings
MySpaceTV Videos: Grounded-Big Faith by Chris Tait

Good research!

It's funny as Chalke Circle's "This Mourning" was another one of my mystery songs from a long time ago.

Alas, I'm still searching to solve this "When I left you..." mystery song. I think I should look into developing a little Youtube video of the song... or maybe I'll just get local media involved! Ha!

Oh, and while you may get the cold shoulder, there's always ILM. That place is waywayway more than worth a try. They know literally everything.

ooOOOOo A mystery. Any chance someone could send me the song? garyogle@hotmail.com Maybe It'll give me a raging clue

Hardly%20Boys.jpg

I just happened to think of this song tonight (yes, still bugging me two years later), and I think I know the perfect person to ask - Alan Cross! I did have the clip downloaded at the time, but that was a hard drive or two ago for me. Does anyone else have it saved? If so, I could send it to him...

australian band the temper trap obviously has listened to a lot of u2 in its time.

they would be a wall of silence if u2 (from the unforgettable fire era) didnt exist

has anyone tried using Shazam on the iphone? I have it, so if someone PMs me the clip ill see if it works.

That's what I thought... and I'd like to hear the song if possible, too. Could someone send me a link? My email address is jspartzags[at]aim.com.

This is a longshot, and I am posting this a few years after originally seeing this posting. But there was a Canadian band in the late 80s that was compared often to U2. Their biggest hit came in I believe 1988 with a song called April Fool. The chords are definitely The Edge inspired and the lead singer is Bonoesque, the band was called Chalk Circle. Possibly one of their other songs fits??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom