That one song you would almost consider breaking the 5th commandment to hear live - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
45:33

Local Time: 10:01 AM
That one song you would almost consider breaking the 5th commandment to hear live

I'm not trying to suggest you're a murderer here, just an honest question. Think of it in a "ohh... I'd kill for some... right now" kind of way.

With my interest in Springsteen renewed with the survivor running, I took a look at some live videos, and I came across a performance from 2001 (Rising tour, I think...) of Jungleland.

And that's my answer. If Springsteen comes down under again, I fear I will have to buy tickets to multiple shows, even though I'm only a casual fan, because I'd want to make sure I hear Jungleland. The song fits the word epic in every sense, and for anyone who's heard it live, is that elegiac sax solo as powerful as it seems?

Your turn. Go.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:01 PM
I've seen Radiohead live 5x and heard Fake Plastic Trees 0x. It's not that it's my favorite song or anything, it's the principle. I need to hear it live. They owe it to me.

That's the song I want to hear just because they refuse to play it when I'm in the audience and I've been pissed off about it for awhile now.

But the song I would love to hear just because I would love love love to hear it: Let Down.

I wouldn't exactly go to the bathroom during Jungleland either, although the people around me might wish I would given how loud I'd be singing every damn word.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I did get my wish in 2006 when U2 played both UTEOTW and Bad.

However if Tori plays something like Suede when I see her, I guess I won't have to kill anybody.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:01 PM
I'll let you people guess which mine is.

JG, I've heard Jungleland once and Fake Plastic Trees once.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
I've seen Radiohead live 5x and heard Fake Plastic Trees 0x. It's not that it's my favorite song or anything, it's the principle. I need to hear it live. They owe it to me.
Bummer, that really sucks...
Old 08-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:01 PM
Pretty much anything off Sad Songs for Lance's Mom Dirty Lovers.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
I'll let you people guess which mine is.

JG, I've heard Jungleland once and Fake Plastic Trees once.
I'd like that one too.

And today, the song that's stuck in my head & would like to hear is Hawkmoon 269.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
Vocal parasite

I would kill to see Crowded House play Recurring Dream (missed it by a single gig in 2008); Porcupine Tree play Piano Lessons or Fadeaway (neither of which have been in their repertoire for the last couple of tours, so I don't feel so bad there); or U2 play A Sort Of Homecoming and Heartland. If I had to cut that down to just one of them, Recurring Dream it is.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:20 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:01 PM
I've seen "Jungleland" once as well.

I'd love to see "Westfall" or "John Allyn Smith Sails" by Okkervil River. Of course, I need to work on seeing them live first...
Old 08-11-2009, 11:22 PM   #10
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:01 PM
I'd kill to see "Electrical Storm."
Old 08-12-2009, 01:48 AM   #11
45:33

I don't get the adoration on here for Electrical Storm. Good song and all, but I don't regard it as highly as everyone else.

In a U2 sense I had my dreams fulfilled when I heard Kite in 2006, I can't put into words how incredible that was for me. Now if I got my wish I think I'd just love to hear Bad and Running to Stand Still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I would kill to see Crowded House play Recurring Dream (missed it by a single gig in 2008); If I had to cut that down to just one of them, Recurring Dream it is.
It's not like you shout out for them to play it at gigs or anything...
Old 08-12-2009, 03:28 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

given the lack of live music i've seen due to a severe lack of anything good touring auckland when i have money, i'd settle for bands rather than individual songs. i'm generally happy enough just to get live music i'm not worried (to a reasonable degree) about what's being played.

so, um....yeah. i don't actually have an answer. i guess u2 - the unforgettable fire would do it for me.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:31 AM   #13
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

hmm, this is tough. the first songs that come to mind are ones i've already heard live.

for duran duran (yeah, yeah) i suppose it'd be nice to hear my own way. without being a huge fangirl about it, it's basically something that won't be happening any time soon. they haven't played it since the early 80s i think. tel aviv would be neat too. had i seen the next two shows after seeing them in 05 i could've heard the live debut of it - it came out in 81.

for u2, i'm not sure. i'd like to hear the unforgettable fire, heartland, elvis presley and america, and zooropa. however, i'd like to somehow build a time machine so i could hear all these songs back when they were new songs. i don't really wanna hear 2009 bono trying to hit the notes in heartland. but of course i won't complain if i hear 2010 bono sing any of these of course.

for crowded house, everything i'd want to hear i already have. and i've only seen them once.

and for split enz, i'd just love to have the opportunity to see them. it'd be even better if they did the impossible and had a hybrid tour that combined the late 70s lineup with the early 80s lineup - basically the true colours era but also with phil judd. for songs i'v love to hear, i'd like to hear dirty creature and spellbound.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:34 AM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
for crowded house, everything i'd want to hear i already have. and i've only seen them once.
yeah, when we listened to that recording i couldn't help but notice that show kicked serious ass.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:46 AM   #15
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
yeah, when we listened to that recording i couldn't help but notice that show kicked serious ass.
exactly