That one song you would almost consider breaking the 5th commandment to hear live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
I'm not trying to suggest you're a murderer here, just an honest question. Think of it in a "ohh... I'd kill for some... right now" kind of way.

With my interest in Springsteen renewed with the survivor running, I took a look at some live videos, and I came across a performance from 2001 (Rising tour, I think...) of Jungleland.

And that's my answer. If Springsteen comes down under again, I fear I will have to buy tickets to multiple shows, even though I'm only a casual fan, because I'd want to make sure I hear Jungleland. The song fits the word epic in every sense, and for anyone who's heard it live, is that elegiac sax solo as powerful as it seems?

Your turn. Go.

I've seen Radiohead live 5x and heard Fake Plastic Trees 0x. It's not that it's my favorite song or anything, it's the principle. I need to hear it live. They owe it to me.

That's the song I want to hear just because they refuse to play it when I'm in the audience and I've been pissed off about it for awhile now.

But the song I would love to hear just because I would love love love to hear it: Let Down.

I wouldn't exactly go to the bathroom during Jungleland either, although the people around me might wish I would given how loud I'd be singing every damn word.

I did get my wish in 2006 when U2 played both UTEOTW and Bad.

However if Tori plays something like Suede when I see her, I guess I won't have to kill anybody.

Pretty much anything off Sad Songs for Lance's Mom Dirty Lovers.

I would kill to see Crowded House play Recurring Dream (missed it by a single gig in 2008); Porcupine Tree play Piano Lessons or Fadeaway (neither of which have been in their repertoire for the last couple of tours, so I don't feel so bad there); or U2 play A Sort Of Homecoming and Heartland. If I had to cut that down to just one of them, Recurring Dream it is.

I've seen "Jungleland" once as well.

I'd love to see "Westfall" or "John Allyn Smith Sails" by Okkervil River. Of course, I need to work on seeing them live first...

I don't get the adoration on here for Electrical Storm. Good song and all, but I don't regard it as highly as everyone else.

In a U2 sense I had my dreams fulfilled when I heard Kite in 2006, I can't put into words how incredible that was for me. Now if I got my wish I think I'd just love to hear Bad and Running to Stand Still.

I would kill to see Crowded House play Recurring Dream (missed it by a single gig in 2008); If I had to cut that down to just one of them, Recurring Dream it is.

It's not like you shout out for them to play it at gigs or anything... :rolleyes: :wink:

given the lack of live music i've seen due to a severe lack of anything good touring auckland when i have money, i'd settle for bands rather than individual songs. i'm generally happy enough just to get live music i'm not worried (to a reasonable degree) about what's being played.

so, um....yeah. i don't actually have an answer. i guess u2 - the unforgettable fire would do it for me.

hmm, this is tough. the first songs that come to mind are ones i've already heard live. :D

for duran duran (yeah, yeah) i suppose it'd be nice to hear my own way. without being a huge fangirl about it, it's basically something that won't be happening any time soon. they haven't played it since the early 80s i think. tel aviv would be neat too. had i seen the next two shows after seeing them in 05 i could've heard the live debut of it - it came out in 81.

for u2, i'm not sure. i'd like to hear the unforgettable fire, heartland, elvis presley and america, and zooropa. however, i'd like to somehow build a time machine so i could hear all these songs back when they were new songs. i don't really wanna hear 2009 bono trying to hit the notes in heartland. but of course i won't complain if i hear 2010 bono sing any of these of course. :)

for crowded house, everything i'd want to hear i already have. and i've only seen them once. :whistle:

and for split enz, i'd just love to have the opportunity to see them. it'd be even better if they did the impossible and had a hybrid tour that combined the late 70s lineup with the early 80s lineup - basically the true colours era but also with phil judd. for songs i'v love to hear, i'd like to hear dirty creature and spellbound.

Alright, I'm going to go comprehensive here only for bands I've already seen:

Animal Collective - "Grass," "#1," "Who Could Win a Rabbit," "Chocolate Girl," and a hell of a lot more.
Arcade Fire - "Surf City Eastern Bloc," "Une Année Sans Lumiere."
THE DYL! - There's no use listing these, at it's surely into a ridiculous amount
Broken Social Scene - "Lover's Spit (Redux)," anything off Feel Good Lost.
The Flaming Lips - There are a lot here, too, but mostly "It's Summertime."
LCD Soundsystem - A laundry list off the self-titled.
My Morning Jacket - Motherfucking "STEAM ENGINE."
The National - "Ada," "Gospel," "Geese," "Tall Saint," and, as previously stated, anything off Sad Songs.
Okkervil River - "Last Love Song for Now," "Kansas City," and "For the Enemy." Fortunately, I've seen live both the songs 1B1L listed.
Radiohead - This list is also ridiculously long. "Cuttooth" is on it.
The Rolling Stones - "Moonlight Mile," but at least I've seen the Lips do it.
Shearwater - "Seventy-Four, Seventy-Five."
TVOTR - "Lover's Day."
Shuttlecock - Don't get me started.
Van Morrison - Another long list.
The White Stripes - Ditto.

I've been fortunate enough that the vast majority of bands I love have played the songs I might kill for in my presence.

and for split enz, i'd just love to have the opportunity to see them. it'd be even better if they did the impossible and had a hybrid tour that combined the late 70s lineup with the early 80s lineup - basically the true colours era but also with phil judd. for songs i'v love to hear, i'd like to hear dirty creature and spellbound.
man, split enz blew me away when i saw them at sound relief. i had no idea tim finn was such a lunatic. six months, and that little intro they did before it, fucking ruled, it was probably the highlight of the 9 hours.

ian if you can, make sure you see the crowdies before you pass on, they are very good. hugely entertaining show.

Van Morrison - Another long list.
is dweller on the threshold on it? i love that song.

it'll happen. they opened with private universe when i saw them which was interesting. when you come, live... was one of the most awesome experiences i've had.

Alright, I'm going to go comprehensive here only for bands I've already seen:

The Flaming Lips - There are a lot here, too, but mostly "It's Summertime."

Okkervil River - "Last Love Song for Now," "Kansas City," and "For the Enemy." Fortunately, I've seen live both the songs 1B1L listed.

Shearwater - "Seventy-Four, Seventy-Five."

"It's Summertime" would be a great Lips song to see live. Didn't even cross my mind. Seeing "Enthusiasm for Life Defeats Existential Fear" and "Bad Days" at Pitchfork fulfilled two of the songs I'd kill to see the Lips play.

Lucky. How many times have you seen Okk? "Blanket and Crib" is another song of theirs I'd love to see.

I think "Hail Mary" would be the song to kill for from Shearwater for me.

Back
Top Bottom