Thanks for the music, Phil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gvox

Ghost of Love
My music career is over, Phil Collins says

Love him or hate him, there is no denying that Phil Collins was one incredibly talented musician who had a huge heart for making some great music. So he got all mushy towards the end there, whatever...I loved his stuff with Genesis and his first 2 and to a lesser extent the 3rd solo albums remain some of the favorite music of my childhood. And now his body is a wreck from all the playing and touring. It's too bad..I hope he can find some level of enjoyment of his remaining years without the stress of feeling like he has to be fit enough to perform.

Now have at me with the puns which I'm sure are waiting. I'm about to go get a glass of beer, throw on the headphones and lose myself in Face Value.

:hi5: :beer:

I like Phil Collins. I'm just going to say that. There was a dance remix of "Against All Odds" that was just awesome on one of the Dance Dance Revolution games a few years ago.

I find it strange to announce one's retirement when one hasn't done anything in a good chunk of years. Haven't most people assumed he just quietly retired?

I love Against All Odds.

And last time I went out for karaoke, a friend and I sang that Separate Lives duet he had on the White Nights soundtrack, which I practically wore out my vinyl copy of back in the day.

So yeah, he's got at least two songs I am fond of.

Do you know his first two albums? I mean it's not unnatural to only know hits for certain artists...but for some reason I see you liking them very much. I can't really explain that. If you haven't yet listened, give em a spin. Some great dark stuff, great ballads, soulful stuff, you name it.

I'm familiar with probably most of his solo stuff. I was alive and an avid radio listener in the 80s, so there was no escaping it, and I'm sure liking the hits led me to check out his albums or tapes from the library (that's how I rolled back in the day).

Just never was a huge fan. I don't even like In the Air Tonight all that much, probably because I've heard it too much over the years.

Ah, cool! :up: That's true, and that's probably why people got sick of him. But I love leaving artists like him alone for a year or so and then going back on a quiet evening and putting it on. Memory lane stuff ;)

I think Face Value only had 1 maybe 2 radio hits though. It's difficult for me to recall and draw a line between what I remember from the radio back then and what I wore out on my cassette deck, however. :lol:

I find it strange to announce one's retirement when one hasn't done anything in a good chunk of years. Haven't most people assumed he just quietly retired?

He released an album of soul covers last year (I believe it was called Goin' Back), so he did do something recently. I think even around that time he was saying that he was retiring.

As for his body of work, I consider No Jacket Required as the worst album in my collection (maybe bottomed by Serious Hits Live!). But ...But Seriously is a great album, so that compensates for it. Don't have any other stuff by him (apart from a song here and there on compilation albums).

My favourite part of that video is at 2:28. That is how you play the fucking bass!

I love that you got that far in the video. My one year old LOVES that song.

I didn't even watch the video this time. I know it that well. I just fastforwarded to the part I thought it was around to see the time. I actually love that song for real though

I have fond memories of driving over pedestrians in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City while that song played on the radio.

Who doesn't? "sure as kilimanjaro rises like olympus above the serengeti" is one of the greatest lines of all time.

Agreed. The way he has to fuck up the inflection of 'serengeti' to get it to fit is a thing of beauty

I actually love that song for real though

So do I :).

As for Phil, awww, after reading some of his comments in that article, I feel kinda bad for him.

I've never had a problem with him. He did indeed put out some songs I'm not keen on at all, but he also put out some really good stuff, too, and of course, he was everywhere in the '80s/early '90s, so I associate him with my childhood. "Another Day In Paradise"-I used to LOVE that song as a kid, I liked the "serious" songs back then, and "Land Of Confusion" is great, too (that was him with Genesis, but still...). And I've always liked "In The Air Tonight" as well, though I will say that the video for it creeps me the hell out.

Sorry to hear about his health issues, too. Always sad to have to quit a job this way, but he had a good run. I wish him well in whatever else he does.

Angela

Ok based on some of the comments here ie what people know/like/hate of his work, it seems to me fairly limited. When I hear people talk about But Seriously and No Jacket Required..I'm like, whaaa??!

So I'm going to share some stuff. Listen to it, don't, like it, hate it, remember it...or maybe be turned onto something you hadn't discovered yet.

Disclaimer: I'm a sucker for soul and slow jams. So it might explain why I love some of the mellower offerings...

EDIT: Ok, fuck it, my sound card is not cooperating and I'm on my third glass of red so my patience is thin.

Just...before you judge him any further..buy, download, steal, borrow or obtain via any means necessary the two albums Face Value and Hello, I Must Be Going! and tell me that ain't some music for the ages. Then get ahold of some Genesis stuff. But for fuck's sake don't base your opinion on his later body of work. Honestly.

/proPhilCollinsrant

I love Phil. He's put out some embarrassing things, but in general, I do indeed love him. To read some of the things in that article saddens me greatly.

Imagine, to lose the ability to do something you love, and just give up in a despair of, "well no one's going to miss me anyways." I'm honestly a bit worried about the guy.

So this dude isn't actually dead? Damn.

The thread title got me and carek all excited.

YouTube - Genesis - Tonight, Tonight, Tonight + lyrics

I posted about this song a while back in Random. I heard it on a classic rock station one morning and it really kind of stuck with me. One of those things where I couldn't tell if I loved or hated it. But either way, I guess it made a bit of an impact.

It's also just about the only Genesis song that I could tell you about. I'm mostly oblivious to that band. And, other than "In The Air Tonight" (which sucks, on principle) and the Tarzan song, and him being the butt of a lot of jokes, it's pretty much the only thing I know about Phil Collins.

Well, that's not true. I know that he is bald and, even when he had hair, his hair was heinous.

Gaf, every now and again, you say something that just really pisses me right the fuck off.

Sorry, I was kind of in the midst of a personal crisis and I took a bit of aggression out on you, but, I just didn't really appreciate coming in the thread and seeing someone express disappointment in Phil not being dead. But, I realize you were making a joke, and let's just move on with our lives.

He definitely sounds as though he is struggling with depression, because those remarks go beyond self-deprecation. He really has a lot of which to be proud - those early Genesis albums, as well as the first couple that he fronted, are classics.

As an aside, whenever I hear Zoo Station, I think of Tonight, Tonight. Zoo almost identically imitates the three-note synthesized marimba or whatever it is from Tonight.

Sorry, I was kind of in the midst of a personal crisis and I took a bit of aggression out on you, but, I just didn't really appreciate coming in the thread and seeing someone express disappointment in Phil not being dead. But, I realize you were making a joke, and let's just move on with our lives.

If you have not already, I highly recommend ignoring me immediately.

great drummer ,
if i knew that he 'll ruin his spine by playing too much drums on last genesis tour , i'll turn the time back , and cancel the tour , return tix
i hope he'll recover

recently i got ' bothsides ' good works , very personal
i can see why he left genesis

and his playing with musical box , oh man ......

:up::up::up:

He released an album of soul covers last year (I believe it was called Goin' Back), so he did do something recently. I think even around that time he was saying that he was retiring.
omfg yes, i'd blocked that song (also called goin' back) out of my mind, it was so awful. he does have some good songs though, even if his later stuff sounded the exact same as his work with genesis.

Back
Top Bottom