Taylor Swift - RED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The "we-HEEE" hook of Neverevereverevereverever is one of the best things I've heard in pop music all year.

It's near impossible to resist that song, it really is. Dear god, look up the word "infectious", etc., etc.

During my lunch break at work today I read the interview with her in the latest Rolling Stone. It was a pretty good read, she seems genuinely nice and knows how to control her career and I like that. And I haven't even heard the song "Ronan" (though it was posted in here, I know, and I'll check it out at some point), but damn, just reading about the story behind that and the performance brought a tear to my eye.

Anywho, everyone's comments on this have me curious (especially with the U2 comparisons-seriously? Wow) and I may find myself checking this out.

Starlight :love::love::love:

We could get married
Have 10 kids
And teach 'em how to dream
Whoo hoo hoo!
(guitar solo)

All Too Well :drool::sad::sad::drool:

Here we are again
On that little town street
You almost ran the red
'Cause you were looking over at me
Wind in my hair
I was there
I remember it
All too well

Here we are again
In the middle of the night
We're dancing 'round the kitchen
In the refrigerator light
Down the stairs
I was there
I remember it
All too well

:sad:

Starlight :love::love::love:

We could get married
Have 10 kids
And teach 'em how to dream
Whoo hoo hoo!
(guitar solo)

I really keep thinking she's saying "teach 'em how to driiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink"

The Lucky One and Starlight are throwing me for a loop, I feel like I've heard those melodies before somewhere. Including the "dressed to the nines" part of Starlight, which I think is just peachy.

Love it. It's cool 'cause the melody sounds like a band wrote it, it's not just banking on Taylor for a hook.

Listening to the album I like it. Kind of a B-Sides and Other Songs kind of release, not making the comparison by quality but the conscious decision to rack up 16 tracks and just put a bunch of different vibes out there. Still a beast of a sandwich plowing through 65 minutes of songs, so I'm rattling around the idea of what a smaller same-y listing might be.

In many ways, Swift – a "hopeless romantic", sincere to a fault – is the antithesis of cool; the writer Erika Villani has astutely identified this very uncoolness as the basis of many of her critics' arguments. It's long been so: Swift rattles off her favourite quotes from Mean Girls, arguably the defining teen movie of her generation, with relish, but the one time that her poise is even slightly shaken today is when she talks about the first car she bought with her earnings. It was a Lexus SC430 convertible – as owned by Regina George, ringleader of the film's bullying Plastics – an odd choice for a goody-goody like Swift?

"All the girls who were mean to me in middle school, like, idolised the Plastics," she explains. "I think I chose that car as a kind of rebellion against that type of girl. It was like – you guys never invited me to anything, you guys are obsessed with that car and that girl and what the Plastics wear and how they talk and you quote them all the time, but I've been working really hard every single day." She bangs both fists on the arms of her chair in frustration. "And instead of going to parties I've been writing songs and playing shows and getting these really small pay cheques that have added up and now I get to buy a car – and guess which one I'm going to buy? The one that the girl you idolise has."

It's an illuminating insight into the points of connection that make Swift so adored by her fanbase – and also the revenge of someone who believes in narrative resolutions; not necessarily happy endings, but poetic ones. In Swift, the traditions of storytelling and confessionalism are intertwined, held together by an instinct for the universal. "I think that all we have are our memories, and our hope for future memories," she smiles, her serenity restored. "I just like to hopefully give people a soundtrack to those things."

Jesus, Wyomissing. I feel like I should be more traumatized than I was by the middle school years.

"So I made a song that I knew would absolutely drive him crazy when he heard it on the radio. Not only would it hopefully be played a lot, so that he'd have to hear it, but it's the opposite of the kind of music that he was trying to make me feel inferior to."

And why would Swift want to create a single specifically designed to torment someone?

"Because that's fun."

Well, that explains that.

That collaborative impulse grew out of her 2011-2012 Speak Now world tour, in which she covered different songs in nearly every city and invited artists including Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj, Usher and James Taylor to sing onstage with her.

"We had so much fun pulling other artists in and letting their styles rub off on our performances, singing their songs and having it become sort of a duet," Swift says. "(So) it just felt natural to want this to be a group album.

"Writing Speak Now was a very solitary experience. It ended up being something I was so proud of, but it was a very different dynamic than getting text messages from 12 people when something good happens."

OK here's a stab:

State of Grace
Red
All Too Well
We Are Never
Stay Stay Stay
Sad Beautiful Tragic
The Lucky One
Everything Has Changed
Holy Ground
Begin Again

Singles Voted Off The Island:
I Knew You Were Trouble
Starlight

Pick a film soundtrack next year and put one of those two songs on there or deluxe whatevers. Quality/catchy single material, but neither just quite fits the mood. I do feel strongly that Holy Ground fits the Haunted Power Slot w/ the "dancing" outro.

I'd also be all for cutting both I Almost Do and The Last Time. But I'd probably keep the two singles that you voted off the island, and I feel you have to have Treacherous in there. Dat bridge.

Cut I Almost Do, The Last Time, and Sad Beautiful Tragic and you've got a 13 track guy. Perfect. Chillin.

EDIT: Actually, nah, I'm listening to The Last Time right now and am liking it more than I have at any other point. I'll let it live.

How about in the opening line of Everything Has Changed where she pronounces the word "before" without the "re" at the end?

How about in The Lucky One where she says "you took the money and your dignity and got the fuck out"?

Album of the year, guys.

She looked really cute/pretty on GMA this morning. That freaking never ever song got stuck in my head all day. Totally about Jake G too, supposedly. I didn't think he wanted to get back together with her, but who knows.

That Entertainment Weekly review that said Taylor's just getting with random douchebags for the breakup songs made me laugh. Tayla the Playa.

Yeah, the Kennedy men aren't exactly known for their stable relationship history, so she'll have no shortage of song ideas should things sour between them :p.

(Seriously, like you, I do hope things go well for her. It'd be nice to hear about a Kennedy relationship actually working for once.)

She said her long distance relationships last about 4 months, so bingo. I just read that in the RS article at the library.

I don't get what someone like her ever had in common with an 18 year old who is still in high school. She does seem immature in the relationship dept though, no offense. Just seems like a dichotomy with the rest of her life, of course it does provide lots of writing material. I'd like to see what she could do beyond those types of songs, like that Ronan song.

She said her long distance relationships last about 4 months, so bingo. I just read that in the RS article at the library.

I don't get what someone like her ever had in common with an 18 year old who is still in high school. She does seem immature in the relationship dept though, no offense. Just seems like a dichotomy with the rest of her life, of course it does provide lots of writing material. I'd like to see what she could do beyond those types of songs, like that Ronan song.

We jinxed it, MrsS :wink:.

Seriously, though, agree entirely with your post.

Taylor Swift's tour dates have been announced waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in advance. I wanted to go to her Chicago gig in August.

Anyway, no. $60 for behind the stage tickets at Solider fucking Field? It's not like the experience will be enhanced by the venue. It's going to sound like shit. Club level seats are $80, so we're talking slightly better than nosebleed territory.

when babysitters go bad

281x211.jpg

So...she made a Youtube video to tell us that she's getting a big sponsor?

What's happened to my little girl? :sad:

Back
Top Bottom