Taylor Swift - RED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Taylor's personality shines through, I think.

The song itself came out of a can, with a pop tab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS7JrI-JPOc

Ronan

:sad:

Beautiful song. Feels like a bit of a sequel to "Never Grow Up", which is one of my favorite cuts off of Speak Now. Very much in that same vein, but with a perspective shift. This is written in the voice of Maya Thompson, whose four year old son Ronan died of neuroblastoma last year. A damn shame. Thompson apparently contributed many of the words and images in the lyric, from her own writings. Taylor put it together and gave it a melody.

I just scooped the studio version on iTunes. Every penny goes to cancer research.

This shit spins forward.

New song is out off Red. Definitely sounds like Taylor went shopping with Max for that big lead single; this fits in much more logically continuing out from Speak Now.

"Ronan" is still one of the best things she's ever done. Can't say enough about it. Perfect.

Not totally sold on "Begin Again" yet. It's pretty, and the chorus is nice, but it's nothing too memorable.

I'm also troubled by the lyrics in the bridge. Seems to be a bit of a fuck-up, syntactically.

And we walk down the block to my car and I almost brought him up
But you start to talk about the movies that your family watches every single Christmas
And I won't talk about that for the first time

I like the image of "the movies that your family watches every single Christmas" but to follow it up with "and I won't talk about that..." would mean that she's not going to talk about the Christmas movies. But, I'm sure what she means is that she won't talk about the ex-boyfriend. The sentence just comes off a bit strange to me.

"Ronan", though. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I hate myself for it, but every time I hear We Are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together on the radio I feel extremely happy. Such a fun song, and she manages to fit her personality into there with all of the studio chatter. It's adorable.

And Ronan is awesome.

Red is going to be one of her best.

Red the song is now out

His love was like
driving a new Maserati down a dead end street

Well, Taylor's not playing the neighbor next door anymore. Lyrically it's mostly stitched together with similes, so there's kind of a human-shaped empty chalk outline in the middle of the song where we're told what he's like and not what he is. If that makes sense.

Autotune! Maseratis! Synesthesia!

I really like this one. It's a propulsive track. Strong natural momentum. Kicks in in the chorus.

Faster than the wind, passionate as sin. Definitely more exciting than "Begin Again", which I'm still not very fond of.

Even newer song is out. Never Ever is my favorite of the new songs, so far, even though musically they all sound a lot like chasing existing trends (the new song's chorus follows the Party in the USA template). But I guess when you get it right, it's like Walter's blue meth: there's a calculated formula, but you can't help but admire the craftsmanship.

By the way guys:

carly-rae-jepsen-kiss-album.jpg

That Fucking Cursive Font.

Cursive font sucks.

"Trouble" is hot. Don't really see the Party In The USA comparison.

Apparently the deluxe version of the album has 22 tracks. Can't wait to buy that shit.

Well, what people are calling the "bass drop" these days in the "trouble, trouble" part of the song seems to me like a slightly deeper version of the bassy synths when the chorus kicks in for Party.

I'll try and give it a fair shot when it leaks in a week or so, but I'm not really taken by anything yet.

Well, the word everyone's throwing around about that bass drop in "I Knew You Were Trouble" is dubstep.

Sure, whatever the fuck it is, it's awesome. One of the best pop choruses I've heard in a long time. Max Martin helped on this one, too, but the part before the TROUBLE TROUBLE TROUBLE TROUBLE drop is pure melodic Taylor word manipulation shit. The delivery is fucking fantastic.

Just has a bit of a different coating on top.

Other notes:

1. Apparently "Begin Again" is the closing track on the album proper. This puts the song in a different perspective in my mind, and I've already started to like it more. It's more powerful if one looks at it as a final statement of moving forward/it'll be ok after a a bunch of heavier breakup songs. Also, the album closing with the words "begin again" harkens back to Taylor's badass conscious choice to have "play it again" as the closing words of her debut album.

2. Along those same lines, I love that, even with these new styles she's playing around with, the lyrical touches feel familiar: Opening with "Once upon a time", like she did on "Forever And Always", but switching the rest of the tone completely. Instead of FUCK YOU!... it's I FUCKED UP!

3. I have more notes but I'm heading out now. I'll be back.

I'm not down with this record if Mitt Romney's Mormon Ghosts are going to haunt me.

The melody of State of Grace sounds like a band wrote it, it's not just banking on Taylor for a hook.

Red- she's definitely been listening to U2. Still not yet a fan of the Maserati simile.

Ah, Max Martin! I knew you were trouble.

All Too Well- lyrically dense here, but just hard to get the story on a first listen. Surprisingly fast for a 5:30 long song.

22 is a Kesha song written by nerds! Midnight breakfast at Denny's, yo. @ 2:45 they do the treble fade out and back again thing.

I Almost Do- assuming this is the country ballad single.

We've talked about Never Ever. Treble drop at 2:05.

OK 8 songs in out of 16. Timeout, chief!

NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO THOUGHT 22 SOUNDED LIKE A KESHA SONG! :dance:

But seriously. This album isn't the let-down I was afraid of, so that's one big positive. A lot of songs on here I enjoyed quite a bit. But really, I could have done without pretty much ALL of the pop songs.

The song that was ripping off Chairlift's iTunes song pretty bad is surprisingly good.

Also really liked Holy Ground. Felt like an old school Tay-Tay song.

- I feel pretty confident saying that the opening six tracks on this album constitute the strongest run on any of her albums to date. It's a blast, and I'm sure that it's the section of the album I'll return to the most. State Of Grace is a great opener. That steady drum beat and The Edge-lite guitar riff, her vocal delivery in the chorus, everything. The title track and I Knew You Were Trouble are two potential singles that I dig as much as I did when we first heard them.

But the real kickers, and what takes the first half of the album to the next level, are All Too Well and 22. The former had me misty eyed when I listened to it the first time this afternoon. One of her best songs, a soulful, personal, moving story, and it's written and performed brilliantly. Powerful stuff. Reminds me of Enchanted, which we all know (well, the four or so of us who post in this thread) is one of the better songs in human history.

And then that poignant tearjerker is followed up with easily the goofiest, silliest song of her career. Yes. Hell yes. 22, I feel, could be pretty divisive amongst her fans, but I fucking love it. She's adopted this exaggerated accent in the verses that makes me swoon. It's dumb, insanely catchy, and funny, and will probably be my new Friday night song. The juxtaposition of these two tracks is a masterstroke.

- The album doesn't sustain this pace all the way through, though. Right after 22 comes I Almost Do, and I've heard it twice now and can't really remember anything about it.

- Stay Stay Stay is probably my favorite song on the back half of the album at this point. It feels like something that took her probably 10 minutes to write, and in her own words, it's SOOOOOOOOOOO FUNNNNNNN.

- The two duets. Hmmm. They're good, but I'm trying to hear Taylor Swift, not the dude from Snow Patrol or some other British dude that I've never heard of. Like I said, though, they're well written songs and definitely have the potential to grow on me.

- Sad Beautiful Tragic. Terrible song title, and probably my least favorite thing on here. Kind of a snooze, really.

- Starlight is cool, and has a lovably optimistic and naive tone that reminds me of some of her older songs.

- Begin Again sounds 10x better in the context of the album, as I expected it would. A fitting closer.

So, overall, it's easily the best pop album released by anybody in the last two years, but I honestly don't think I love it quite as much as Speak Now. Didn't hit me as hard as that one did after two full listens. Still, the best songwriter and living person on the planet. I like the variety and ambition of it, and the collaborative nature of the project certainly makes it stand out from the rest of her work. Based on everything she's said in interviews and what-not prior to release, this whole project was something she needed to get out of her system: i.e. working with other writers and producers, etc. It's damn good, but it's not gonna go down as her magnum opus. We haven't heard that yet.

Red is awesome. The song, not the album so much, although I don't mind that either.

There's a bizarre disconnect here between a couple of the songs and everything else (I Knew You Were Trouble, 22), but for the most part I liked the poppy first half. The second half is consistently really good, more typical of Tay Tay.

The "we-HEEE" hook of Neverevereverevereverever is one of the best things I've heard in pop music all year.

Stay Stay Stay's got a chimy ukelele/guitar slightly amped Jack Johnson mood. Note: I don't listen to Jack Johnson. Who is Jack Johnson? This is the Chairlift song you were talking about. First itunes result. Boom.

Gary Dork of Dweeb Patrol.

Midway through track 10 here and I'm thinking Red is a near-miss. Its gears aren't syncing up with my brain, and strikes me as a bit unfocused.

Holy Ground picks up the attractive State of Grace "band" vibe and roots it in another wall of Swift lyrics. I think this is basically her wheelhouse.

Sad Beautiful Tragic is not subtle, but it's got a nice guitar line. The key here is the atmospheric space that songs like Never Grow Up didn't, which made me snooze.

Not a fan of her metaphors on this album. The Lucky One has a surprising drum part that helps distinguish it, along with a very modest electronic touch.

"It was a few years later I showed up here, and they still tell the legend of how you disappear, you took the money and the dignity and got the hell out"

RED is very bipolar between a chart hogging pop star and somebody running off noodling away and writing catchy songs.

Starlight is on the other end of that "band v. singer" spectrum.

After 15 songs I'm not sure having 16 songs was the best idea, I'm fading a little with Begin Again.

Stay Stay Stay rules. Dat laugh.

The melody of State of Grace sounds like a band wrote it, it's not just banking on Taylor for a hook.

This doesn't make any sense.

and strikes me as a bit unfocused.

Agreed, I think unfocused is probably a good word for the album.

The key here is the atmospheric space that songs like Never Grow Up didn't, which made me snooze.

I don't see how anyone can not like Never Grow Up.

I will say, Red has her best album cover

Probably. Although, I like the covers for the debut and Fearless. As I said earlier in the thread, the cover for Speak Now is the only thing I didn't love about that entire release. That cover sucked. I'm honestly not too sure what she was thinking with it. It's not a very flattering shot of her.

Never Grow Up is awesome. It's like the music from Thrasher by Neil Young, only with adorable/sad lyrics over the top.

Back
Top Bottom