Taylor Swift Kicks of the Red Tour & R & D’s Elevation Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BWU2Buffs

War Child
So Santa brings my daughters excellent seats to see Taylor Swift, and after 12 weeks of 4th grader anticipation, we go to the show last night in Omaha, Nebraska – home of a debated “small market WTF?!?” Vertigo Tour stop circa 2005, but I digress.

Swift actually kicked off her Red Tour here in our small-market town, but I could swear I was in Oakland or Kansas City again watching U2 circa 2002.

Heart like stage, GA pit, B-stage to the back of the building, video screens and so forth. And true, this is all pretty common today, but the similarities were eerie.

If you are curious, are a Swfity Fan, or have daughters, sons, nieces or nephews that (may) care about this media darling, here’s my mini-review. (If you don’t care, but someone you know or love wants you to go, don’t pass, you’ll have a fun night.)

It was actually a very very good show –entertaining all night, with maybe one soft spot.

Despite her polarizing, love her hate her pop-appeal, she has a very solid voice, plays multiple guitars, throw in some banjo and piano and seems well rounded.

What caught me off-guard was her stage presence – she had command and was self-assured throughout the night. I thought to myself, “She could front a four-person rock band” and deliver the goods.

The opening segment flat out rocked, it really did, and mixed in some surprisingly cool Blue Man Group drum and visual influences.

The rest of the night sprinkled in strong solo acoustic work, crowd favorite songs, and a handful of tastefully done costume changes for the back-up singers and dancers.

Why would this matter to a U2 fan on Interference, well, it probably doesn't (phrase that risks board flaming) but along with the Elevation Tour influences I came to the conclusion that she’s really very good at what she does, much like the 4 lads from Ireland that have stolen our hearts, and sucked up some cash along the way too.

She puts on a great show for passionate fans, which ought to be familiar, those fans just happen to scream an octave or two higher.

In sum, when it’s all said and done, I've seen U2 18 times since 1983, and can't wait to go again in 2014 or so, but I'd see Taylor Swift again too, without hesitation.

And my daughters, who I love dearly, could have way worse role models that play much suckier music, so I’m OK with Taylor Swift.

If only there was a place on this forum where non-U2 music is discussed...

And if only there was a Taylor Swift-specific thread already IN that place...

If only there was a place on this forum where non-U2 music is discussed...

And if only there was a Taylor Swift-specific thread already IN that place...

Yes I totally agree that it is ultra critical during non-tour / non album moments in the U2-o-Sphere of time to ensure all 48 Interference visitors tonight don't get disrupted by a thread that potentially could be out of place but could generate some dialog -- but whatever.

Nice review, man.

Yeah, she's the shit. The real deal. And she'll be around for a very long time, getting even better, so you'll have your chance to see her again.

Spot on in noticing the U2 influence, too. Taylor's a self-proclaimed huge U2 fan. And she's as ambitious as our Irish boys ever were, wanting to take over the world and putting on a big, theatrical concert. The opening track on her most recent album (and her current set opener), "State of Grace", was the best song released last year and it features a guitar riff completely stolen from The Edge and the U2 classic "Out of Control".

Also now there are two Taylor Swift threads at the top of Bang and Clatter, and I'll probably tell my grandkids about it.

Back
Top Bottom