Taylor Swift IS the new Arya Stark!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Light Years! It's basically the same piano line from the verse.

I really like the new record. I also do think it sounds like The National in the production and some of the instrumentation. And that, to me, is just great. I think I need to listen to more of her older stuff. I hopped on with 1989, not thinking I’d like it when mrs. tourist played it for me, but right away get hooked with Welcome To New York (which is still probably my favorite by her that I’ve heard).

She lifted the vocal melody and cadence of Cardigan right off the last Lana album, which had the same producer. Nothing sexist about pointing out the obvious.
Aaron Dessner produced Cardigan. Dessner didn't have anything to do with Lana's last album. You must be thinking of Jack Antonoff, who did produce a few songs on folklore (not Cardigan) as well as the last Lana album.

And what Lana song specifically did Taylor lift the vocal melody from?

Tell your partner to get her shit together. It's 2020. It's ok to like Taylor Swift now.

It’s been okay to like Taylor... well pretty much always. But wasn’t it Red when the hipper people started coming around to her?

It’s been okay to like Taylor... well pretty much always. But wasn’t it Red when the hipper people started coming around to her?

Yes, I believe that is the hip album to like nowadays. I started to pay attention with the 1989 album. Yes, I still like Shake It Off, even after having it heard 1,385 times. Never really dug its follow-up (was it Reputation?), but Lover had some nice songs again (certainly the title track). Folklore sounds pretty good as well.

Of course I agree with the first part of your post. But yeah, you know what I mean, and it was probably a little bit of Red but mostly 1989 when that truly changed.

Anyway, as a fan I'm really happy right now. She's making good music and is generally keeping to herself other than occasionally making spirited statements attacking the right wing, Trump, and systemic racism. Which is awesome.

Aaron Dessner produced Cardigan. Dessner didn't have anything to do with Lana's last album. You must be thinking of Jack Antonoff, who did produce a few songs on folklore (not Cardigan) as well as the last Lana album.

And what Lana song specifically did Taylor lift the vocal melody from?
Yeah, I meant Antonoff. I'm really surprised he didn't produce Cardigan in any capacity, but in a sense I'm not because the piano line is definitely something Dessner had lying around. Others have said Light Years, but really it sounds like a lot of National songs. Which it should, of course.

"But I knew you
Dancin' in your Levi's
Drunk under a streetlight, I
I knew you
Hand under my sweatshirt
Baby, kiss it better, I"

The vocal melody there...it's right on the tip of my tongue. Now I'm not sure it's even a Norman Fucking Rockwell song. But yeah, even besides that, the cadence and imagery is the most Lana thing ever haha

Are you thinking about Video Games, LM? The "it's you, it's you, it's all for you" bit?

I don't hear the Lana influences, really. There's something about the vocal mix that is perhaps somewhat reminiscent of NFR, but other than that, I think Lana's sound is sparser and less direct than Taylor's. I also find Lana's lyricism more compelling.

Yeah, I meant Antonoff. I'm really surprised he didn't produce Cardigan in any capacity, but in a sense I'm not because the piano line is definitely something Dessner had lying around. Others have said Light Years, but really it sounds like a lot of National songs. Which it should, of course.

"But I knew you
Dancin' in your Levi's
Drunk under a streetlight, I
I knew you
Hand under my sweatshirt
Baby, kiss it better, I"

The vocal melody there...it's right on the tip of my tongue. Now I'm not sure it's even a Norman Fucking Rockwell song. But yeah, even besides that, the cadence and imagery is the most Lana thing ever haha

Ha yeah, now that you say it...that section is reminiscent of Lana. And the melody is on the tip of my tongue, too.

I don't really give a shit because I've loved Lana's music since the jump. Lana's weird and tone deaf post earlier this year about race and feminism and what not? Not so much. But I digress. This isn't the first instance of Taylor showing Lana's influence. I thought the vocal delivery on "Wildest Dreams" off 1989 was Lanaesque.

Are you thinking about Video Games, LM? The "it's you, it's you, it's all for you" bit?

When I re-listened to Cardigan, Video Games is what came to mind first. So that probably is it.

Ha yeah, now that you say it...that section is reminiscent of Lana. And the melody is on the tip of my tongue, too.

I don't really give a shit because I've loved Lana's music since the jump. Lana's weird and tone deaf post earlier this year about race and feminism and what not? Not so much. But I digress. This isn't the first instance of Taylor showing Lana's influence. I thought the vocal delivery on "Wildest Dreams" off 1989 was Lanaesque.

Yeah, this is definitely the Taylor album for fans who think Wildest Dreams and New Year's Day are her best songs.

I'm still holding out for Taylor to hook up with Haim or whoever and make more music that sounds like Style. Maybe someday!

When I re-listened to Cardigan, Video Games is what came to mind first. So that probably is it.

Yeah, this is definitely the Taylor album for fans who think Wildest Dreams and New Year's Day are her best songs.

I'm still holding out for Taylor to hook up with Haim or whoever and make more music that sounds like Style. Maybe someday!
I never thought of Wildest Dreams as much of a standout but I do think New Year's Day is one of the best tracks on Reputation. It's a welcome change in tone, attitude, and approach after a long album almost entirely filled with over the top pop "bangers." I guess Call It What You Want is right before NYD on that track list and is also in the more singer-songwritery vein.

Good god, Reputation is easily my least favorite Taylor album.

1 Track in and I'm giving my top 15 for the year a side-eye.

It can't last. I know better.

A single bad thing I can say so far: Matt is mixed WAY too loud in "Coney Island."

On the other hand, the song is also amazing?

Send help, I don't know what to do. I REALLY love this album. It's been so long. I swore Taylor off. I said I was done. She pulled me back in.

I will listen to it and the new Kid Cudi as soon as I come down from my Avalanches high. I'm glad people are enjoying it.

A single bad thing I can say so far: Matt is mixed WAY too loud in "Coney Island."

On the other hand, the song is also amazing?

Send help, I don't know what to do. I REALLY love this album. It's been so long. I swore Taylor off. I said I was done. She pulled me back in.

I have been waiting for this day. The circle is now complete.

I'll rain on this parade by admitting I have never heard a TS album. In fact, I literally could not hum a single one of her songs for you if asked.

These two from 2020 have me curious.

Back
Top Bottom