Taylor Swift has written and recorded the year's best and most exciting pop album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Come on, you know I don't steal music.

I'd give it a listen via some stream and if I liked it I'd buy, and if not, that would be that.

But the fact that I'm contemplating a listen of the whole album is a testament to your.....so many words to choose from......fervor.

Early word from retail is that Taylor Swift’s Speak Now (Big Machine) is “huge” and “exploding,” with some initial projections in the 800-900k range—downright stunning for this day and age. On top of that, half of the iTunes Top 20 tracks are from the album. So how high can Speak Now go in week one? Won’t be long till we find out.

Kill 'em, Tay.

:heart:

"Enchanted" is the song of the year.

Please don't be in love with someone else
Please don't have somebody waiting on you

PLEASE DON'T BE IN LOVE WITH SOMEONE ELSE
PLEASE DON'T HAVE SOMEBODY WAITING ON YOU

Meanwhile, the Rolling Stone review is a rave:

Speak Now by Taylor Swift | Rolling Stone Music | Music Reviews

People like to fixate on Taylor Swift's youth, as if to say, yeah, she's pretty good for her age. But that just begs a question: Where are all the older people who are supposedly making better pop records than Taylor Swift? There aren't any.

At this point, she's like the new Morrissey, except with even more eyeliner.

Alright, let's be reasonable here...Taylor Swift does not deserved to be mentioned in the same breath as Morrissey.

I am not going to question anyone's taste in pop music, but to compare a twenty-year-old child writing songs about her crushes to one of the most profound and eloquent lyricists in the history of popular music is completely unwarranted. Sorry, GAF, I just can't get behind that one.

I don't even understand where that comparison is coming from...

...I also didn't read the article so...

It to me is clearly a tongue-in-cheek comment. I thought it was funny, and decided to quote it. I'm sure Rob Sheffield knows it's a ridiculous comparison as much as any of us do.

Although, what was Morrissey doing when he was 20?

Taylor's got the jump on him! :wink:

He's already admitted that the comparison was not warranted. We are at peace. :wink: But GAF, that avatar is really scaring me.

Ha, my bad. Joakim Noah is a scary guy, though.

Let's talk about how the guitar solo in "Enchanted" sounds like 2000s era The Edge.

Impy makes his inaugural post in my Taylor Swift thread!

I was waiting for the day.

Yes, that is what it is. Simple structure. But it's an effective solo.

iron yup, please bring back Miles :pray:

Seconded.

It's a good album, really. About three songs too long, and far too ballad-heavy near the end, but her stronger vocal presence and heightened personality, as well as the more sophisticated lyrics, compensate for this. I do prefer Fearless, I know that much. I'm not sure I will want to hear Speak Now in full again for a long time.

Best tracks:

Speak Now
Mean
Story of Us
Enchanted
Innocent

Best tracks:

Speak Now
Mean
Story of Us
Enchanted
Innocent

I like your short list. Although if we're talking the uptempo songs that sound like they're destined for big radio play, I prefer both Sparks Fly (penned when she was 17) and Better Than Revenge to The Story Of Us. That's just me of course. I'll be shocked if The Story Of Us isn't a single at some point, though.

I would have slapped you if you hadn't listed Enchanted. Best song of her career so far. Song of the year. Good lord.

If the singles aren't
Mine
Mean
Enchanted
Speak Now
and possibly if she's trying to fully recreate Fearless, Never Grow Up, but better option Story Of Us

then I don't know what she's thinking.

Back
Top Bottom