Taylor Swift has written and recorded the year's best and most exciting pop album - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #196
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:41 PM
I don't think Lea Michele was ever in Les Miz - you may be thinking of Lea Salonga? Lea M. is, I think, mostly known (Broadway-wise) for Spring Awakening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
She was a rank amateur compared to Dr. Colossus Hugh Jackman.

Hugh Jackman Peed His Pants
Oh dear.

Oh well. Still hot, urine and all.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #197
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:41 PM
That's it, Spring Awakening. Maybe Lea did a Les Miz song on Glee (or somewhere else) once? I don't know, for some reason I'm making a random connection there.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #198
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:41 PM
Lea was in Les Miserables...but it was a long time ago:

Quote:
Michele made her Broadway debut in 1995 as a replacement in the role of Young Cosette in Les Misérables.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #199
Blue Crack Distributor

Ah, good to know.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #200
Blue Crack Addict

Now I don't know a god damn thing about Les Miz. What is the character of Eponine like? What's her deal, is she a cool character? Big part?

I'm happy for Taylor, even though I don't give much of a shit about her acting career. If she thinks she can do both, more power to her. I just hope that it doesn't interfere at all with her prolific songwriting. (I doubt it will.) I just want that next album, really.

I'd like to stay away from cynicism on this. I'd like to think that this was not a casting based on star power, and that she actually went and wanted it and auditioned and really impressed the producers/casting directors and legitimately earned the role. Of course, she could have just thrown her hat in the ring and the studio wanted another marquee name so they picked her. But, I'll stick with the "She auditioned and knocked 'em dead!" storyline. It was a very coveted role, so yeah, I'd like to think they wouldn't just give it to somebody without seeing them prove their chops first.

Basically, I wouldn't underestimate her. I think most likely she'll do very well in the role, and I'm hoping it could even gain her more respect among some non-fans or skeptics.

Maybe even a Best Supporting Actress Academy Award!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #201
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
That would be great. Gotta say, one reason I haven't sought to see Taylor live in spite of digging most of her tunes is her vocal struggles on stage. Her voice is perfect for the kind of music she plays but it could be stronger.
I haven't seen her live yet and, yeah, she certainly has shown off some less than perfect vocals on TV, but the word is that her live singing improved a great deal on her most recent world tour. She put out that live album, and it sounds good.

Still, she will never be known for her live singing. But, fuck it. Keep bringing them dope studio cuts.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #202
Blue Crack Distributor

Eponine is one of the three big female roles. Young Cosette (wouldn't be Taylor) has a big scene and a little song, and then she gets a huge song (On My Own) and a duet a little later on, and then reappears in the finale.

She's basically the 1800s French version of a street rat, running with a gang of thieves and general low-lives, friends with Marius, one of the male leads, and deeply in love with him, even though she's just a friend to him. That sort of thing.

I've been less than impressed seeing Taylor sing live on TV, but I can't knock her for that here, as she'd get oodles of time to record her bits in the studio. But maybe she's gotten much better, like GAF said. I can only hope she has - I felt awfully bad for her when she sang that duet with Stevie Nicks at the Grammys. That was painful.

Anyway, this is Eponine's big song, sung by Lea Salonga. (I love this version; I absolutely LOATHE the singer who originated the role on the London stage. Ugh, so whiny.)

Old 01-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #203
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
That's it, Spring Awakening. Maybe Lea did a Les Miz song on Glee (or somewhere else) once? I don't know, for some reason I'm making a random connection there.
Oh, and yeah - on the YouTube page with the Lea Salonga version, there's a link to Lea M's version from Glee.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #204
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post

She's basically the 1800s French version of a street rat, running with a gang of thieves and general low-lives
Are you trying to kill me, cori? Are you trying to give me a heart attack?

That's the coolest fucking thing I've ever heard.

Taylor as an 1800s French street rat? I think I need a cigarette.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #205
Blue Crack Distributor

Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Young Cosette (wouldn't be Taylor) has a big scene and a little song,
Oops. That's not Eponine's song, that's Cosette's. I even typed Cosette. So Eponine just has that big solo number, and the big duet, and a good bit as a trio with two other characters in the finale.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #206
Blue Crack Addict

Watched that performance of "On My Own", and I've definitely heard that song a few times before. Good tune. I think she'll do it justice.

And looks like she's probably gonna have to dye her hair dark for this role. Awesome. She's pulled it off before... in the "You Belong With Me" video, and on sketches on SNL, and the cameo she made on CSI a few years back.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #207
Blue Crack Distributor

Gaf, is there actually any basis in fact of her releasing a new album this year, or are you just optimistic?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #208
Blue Crack Addict

Well, with no set release date, or album title, or anything like that, all we can really do is go on speculation and word of mouth. But yeah, it's supposed to come out late this year. Probably October or November. She did a radio interview with Ryan Seacrest a few months back and said she's already written 25 songs or something. She's posted pics on the Twitter of her in the studio making the new album, etc.

Plus, with the amount of albums she sells, I don't see her record label allowing her to go more than two years without putting out an album.

Here are the release dates of the first three albums:

October 24, 2006
November 11, 2008
October 25, 2010
Old 01-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #209
Blue Crack Distributor

Helllooo LP4
Old 01-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #210
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I think Taylor mentioned in one of the big feature articles recently that she feels pretty comfortable with a 2 year album cycle as well. It was a little weird hearing when her tour wrapped up in November since I've grown accustomed to the typical U2 400 Country 8 Planet Super-Tours that last ages. But from the start of the Speak Now Tour in March to November, that's a decent length to hit the Pacific, Europe, and NA. So she'll have been off for a year by the time it's necessary for another big publicity push.

edit- actually, I wonder if she'd pull a J.lo and release the album at the same time as Les Miz.