Taylor Swift has written and recorded the year's best and most exciting pop album - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2011, 04:02 AM   #166
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:17 PM
Totally into You're Not Sorry and Change right now.

What's that business about her tiny label?

Old 02-09-2011, 08:01 AM   #167
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:17 PM
The speak now tour is underway according to twitter. Seems she's gone all Zoo Tv with 6/7 tracks from Speak Now to kick things off.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:50 AM   #168
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The volume of YT comments from teenaged fans that were praising Swift for being so upstanding and nice made me a little suspicious. Surely there's gotta be a little calculated positioning in that. But I have to concede I have yet to hear any remotely negative behind-the-scenes stories about her, and an awful lot that makes her sound like an honestly nice, well adjusted human being:

Quote:
November 4, 2008
Swift Bus
Posted by Sasha Frere-Jones

The agreeable artist presents a problem. Granting interviews when offstage is, of course, all part of the performance, but what if the performer’s niceness is genuine, their warmth unforced? Acknowledging that, in print, can make a writer feel like a flack, rather than a reporter. But what if the niceness is the fact?

For critics, who spend time with songs and movies and books, this problem doesn’t pop up much. Sometimes, though, a critic will foolishly break the wall and confront the person behind the art. When I was reporting this Taylor Swift column, I spent the better part of a day with Swift, much of it on her tour bus. There is a glass cabinet inside stocked with awards, some comfortable couches, a kitchen, and a small desk. It isn’t stunningly lavish, but you could live on it without feeling unduly deprived.

Many stars enforce inaccessibility, even when you’re five feet away. Publicists, tour managers, assistants, and other foot soliders guard the gates. Sometimes you just wait outside the bus all day.

The Swifts employ a few of these helpers, though none of them got in my way. The publicist who arranged my meeting was not on the bus. The tour manager occasionally popped his head in, but didn’t interrupt. The forty-five minutes I was scheduled to spend with Swift turned into roughly eight hours. Her mother, Andrea, travels with Swift, but is not her manager. Mostly she checked her watch and gently reminded Taylor when it was time to go to lunch, time to do the meet and greet, time to do the sound check. The mood was so relaxed, it was extremely easy to forget that Swift was about to play to thousands of people in the same arena where the Republican National Convention had been held a few weeks earlier.

When we got off the bus to have lunch with the band, she had no bodyguards, no handlers. Almost every human being we passed in the street recognized Swift; maybe a third of them wanted to take a picture with her. She said yes to every request, posing quickly but without any sense of the moment being cursory or false. And then she kept moving.

It was like Tai Chi. By being infinitely accommodating, Swift kept moving so efficiently that, were you to be slightly distracted, you might miss what was going on. It is irrelevant whether or not the Swifts are as exceptionally warm as they seem. (My guess is that they are.) What’s notable is that travelling light and granting all requests made their job easier, not harder. People who act like stars may be complicating their own lives unnecessarily—unless that expression of power through denial and frustration is part of what they’re after.
Kudos, ma'am.

The Mean video came out this last weekend. I've read a little criticism of her, some of which is unfair. That mainly focuses on the lyrics, when she goes into the "pathetic/liar/alone in life and mean" verse. I understand how those lines seem a little opposed to the above-your-arrows aura of the rest of the song, but interpreting that as thin-skinned doesn't sit right with me. This is the same girl who wrote a broad romantic pastiche for Love Story, then lacerated herself for believing that fantasy a few songs later, so I think she gets some benefit of the doubt as far as separating the speaker's voice from the songwriter. Personally I thought it was consciously a little ironic and humanizing.

The video itself still keeps her in model-perfect lighting. I would like to see her push beyond that posing a little. But I just discovered Fiona Apple's Criminal video last weekend and thought the grunginess was amazing, so maybe I'm in the wrong mood for that right now.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #169
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Ms. Swift wandered down to Google HQ and did a 40+ minute Q&A

YouTube Presents Taylor Swift - YouTube
Old 09-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #170
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:17 AM
Yeah, I skimmed through that this morning when I was drunk. She's the cutest thing on two legs.

Have you heard this song, mobster? It bangs out like a motherfucker.

Taylor Swift I'm Only Me When I'm With You with lyrics - YouTube
Old 09-05-2011, 04:13 AM   #171
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Indeed! I was a bit surprised to learn this wasn't on the original album release, it's a solid track. I haven't listened to it all the way through a second time, but my impression is that TSWIFT:06 was pretty forgettable in the middle from A Place In This World through Stay Beautiful, but it's got a good start and finish. Robust. Worthwhile. words.

Her sudden country drawl on Picture To Burn and her subsequent acknowledgement that her dad's actually a stock broker are a little....curious, but I'll go with it as the steps of an artist trying to find her identity.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #172
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Ellen Gets Serious with Taylor Swift, Part 2 - YouTube

man I'm a little bummed Taylor Swift hasn't logged back in for a while.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #173
Blue Crack Distributor

. I left you a message on her profile wall. Just something stupid.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #174
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
You're not enough of an expert on the subject of Tay-Tay to do it yourself?

After posting the trivia idea though I realized it was a fool's game: if it was a fan devoted enough to outfit a user profile in character, they'd probably remember more about Taylor than Taylor would.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #175
45:33

Ellen is hilarious. And she's married to Lindsay Bluth.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #176
Blue Crack Addict

Stay, A Sorta Fairytale, You Belong With Me - Taylor Swift - Washington DC - YouTube

Taylor does Tori!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #177
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm not familiar with Tori Amos, so the title had me hoping she did a cover of Faraway, So Close. Maybe, I dunno, in Dublin.

She sounds great on the cover, though.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #178
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
I'm not familiar with Tori Amos, so the title had me hoping she did a cover of Faraway, So Close. Maybe, I dunno, in Dublin.
Haha, I see how you could have gotten excited!
Old 11-23-2011, 05:04 AM   #179
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Our girl's been busy in The Snob's Media this last month or so, with features in both The New Yorker and 60 Minutes. I was most interested by the news from the New Yorker that her manager (or was it Scott Borchetta?) said that movies were her next frontier. There's an interesting split between Taylor the artist and Taylor the corporation that this forum's patron saints have already been through, so I'm really interested in hearing (less than a year, now!) how the fourth album comes around.

Anyway, I'm also reluctant to read my past posts in this thread because thinking about them, they may have seemed a little snobby. I tend to have a problem where I cringe at words I've written a few months prior.

Finally, this guy: Yoann Lemoine

interesting choice for the Back to December video. He also directed Katy Perry's Teenage Dream vid and is collaborating with Lana Del Rey, but he also did this (as Woodkid)

Old 11-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #180
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:17 AM
I thought she was very good recently on what was it, the CMA's? When she did that song sitting on the couch wearing the pink sweater. Her live singing was much improved over some of the other times I've seen..like that one with Stevie Nicks.

I think she's adorable