Taylor Swift - 1989

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pretty much the only funny part of SNL last week:
:lol:

Ok, I caved. In general, I don't consider myself a fan of Taylor Swift, as I don't like any of her pre-Red stuff. Once 'We Are Never Ever..' and 'I Knew You Were Trouble' showed up, I thought they were decent songs, but I still couldn't get into a full album. 'Shake It Off' came around, and I really enjoyed it. With that, I decided to check out 1989.

I wasn't expecting to like the album, as with the other three, but along with Shake It Off, there were a few listenable ones:

Welcome to New York
Blank Space
Style
Out of the Woods
Clean

Just contributing to the thread. Also want to add that she's hot and I think she'll be in the music business longer than any of the artists of similar popularity.

I had to unblock this thread because I had to come in here and say just how fucking endearing I am finding Taylor Swift at the moment. I don't really like her music, it will never be my thing (although Love Story is a fucking great pop song), but the whole promotional trail of inviting fans to her house, that Swiftamine thing... and then today, after Kendrick sang Shake it Off on radio, she just responded with an Instagram video thanking people for buying over a million copies of the album, rapping along to Backseat Freestyle.

Much kudos, Taylor Swift :up:

I had to unblock this thread because I had to come in here and say just how fucking endearing I am finding Taylor Swift at the moment. I don't really like her music, it will never be my thing (although Love Story is a fucking great pop song), but the whole promotional trail of inviting fans to her house, that Swiftamine thing... and then today, after Kendrick sang Shake it Off on radio, she just responded with an Instagram video thanking people for buying over a million copies of the album, rapping along to Backseat Freestyle.

Much kudos, Taylor Swift :up:

Really? I'm finding her more unbearable than I ever have before. That Backseat Freestyle actually just prompted me to unlike her on Facebook, because I've basically hated everything she's posted in the last few weeks. Basically, I just can't handle any more T-Swizzie in my life right now.

God you have some strange opinions sometimes :lol: can you explain why? The Secret Sessions thing was fucking amazing, and how could you not dig her rapping along to Backseat Freestyle? It was adorable!

Because it's all a part of something that she used to do that was cute, and now it just feels like she's turned into some kind of parody of herself. This whole, "My fans should have expected me to go pop" bravado? Well, yeah, based on your last album, I expected it. Doesn't mean I like it. And she's got this whole superiority thing going on lately, as well. I don't know, I don't like it :shrug: and it's definitely not a strange opinion to find her obnoxious. Other people have for years, I'm just late to that particular bandwagon, I guess.

For me, it all comes back to the music and I just don't think it's any good. Shake It Off killed this era for me and I'm really turned off by this particular direction she's taking.

I've never thought Taylor was a slut or a phony or anything she's been accused of being. I like Taylor. But her music seems to be getting dumber and less revelatory by the album and that's not something I can support. When I heard Speak Now, I expected her to really grow as a lyricist and songwriter as she got older, but if anything, she's grown more inconsistent.

But yeah, she's done some cool things lately. I certainly wouldn't say she's been unbearable.

Last edited:
No, I knew what you were referring to, I just wanted to be clear that I don't agree with everything the detractors say.

I don't know Taylor well enough to say that she is or isn't a phony. What I will say is that I don't believe a word of Shake It Off. The Taylor that wrote Dear John, Mean and I Knew You Were Trouble doesn't just shake it off.

But hey, maybe she's turning over a new leaf....oh, wait. Bad Blood.

Now that's something you don't see everyday (at least in recent times).

Not since 2002 and Eminem, or Taylor's last album! ;)

My daughters have seen her in concert and found her a terrific performer, but almost too full of herself to bear. They still like her tunes. They call them catchy. Well, everyone likes Taylor but my youngest girls. They do not like her and gave up their tickets to her concert in May 2013. However, they are HUGE Bieber fans, so that kind of negates their opinion. :lol:

Taylor is smart. She has staying power. She is full of herself. She has reason to be. She is young and hopefully that smugness will lessen.

instead of knocking this person
people should be getting down on their knees bowing to her

she proves that people will still pay for music they like,
no, it really does not want to be free or uploaded to your iTunes without you choosing it.

Taylor Swift is the least offensive pop artist out there IMO At least she doesn't act like a tart and promote hip-hop culture cliches. Besides that I respect the fact that Taylor actually plays an instrument and is largely the main composer of her music. Most other pop acts are just glorified karaoke singers who have to purchase their music from a team of professional writers and beat makers. Pathetic!

Heard this album over the weekend.

While I think Red had stronger songs, I thought this album went together much better. The sequencing on Red drives me crazy - fast, slow, fast slow through the middle, for example - and I thought it could lose a few tracks, specifically the duets. Make those changes and I think Red is a great album instead of very good.

With 1989, take away Bad Blood and Wildest Dreams, and I'm pretty much liking the rest, although the Stay song could be removed as well for redundancy purposes. Those first four tracks are killer.

And thus ends my cameo for this thread.

Taylor Swift is the least offensive pop artist out there IMO At least she doesn't act like a tart and promote hip-hop culture cliches. Besides that I respect the fact that Taylor actually plays an instrument and is largely the main composer of her music. Most other pop acts are just glorified karaoke singers who have to purchase their music from a team of professional writers and beat makers. Pathetic!

Well, I was listening to the album and reading the credits and I could swear that the bad-old Max Martin wrote and composed 90% of that $#!|.
I'm not sure if in this 1989 this bland blonde is as different from all those Rhianna's, Beyonce's, Katy Perry's and all that trash that pays for someone else to write songs for them which have one or two lines/words written by the now-new-owners and giving them the right to appear in the first place in the credits as if they composed it themselves.

The vinyl/record edition just came out. So typically in the facebook group vinyl community I post in the few people that like her and posted pics of their copies were greeted to typical misogynistic comments by creepy old record collectors who think 1970's ZZ Top and Styx were the last great rock groups and believe nothing good was made after 1980. It is funny and sad.

So I actually bought this album recently. Mostly cos a cute girl told me to, but also I do think she's written a lot of great pop songs.

Bit shit that the two best tracks (You Are in Love and New Romantics) are not on the album proper. I loved Clean (helped a lot having Imogen Heap on board) as well as How You Get the Girl, Shake it Off, Wildest Dreams, This Love.

Out of the Woods is one of the worst songs I have ever heard. The chorus is abysmal.

Back
Top Bottom