Taylor Swift - 1989

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really see that look as a black stereotype anyways...not sure if that guy was joking, or what.

He might have been joking, yeah. But if he wasn't, he's a complete dick head.

Mobvok, stop posting tweets from other people who don't know a damn thing about Taylor and come back here and talk to me with your own words, please.

Excuse me? It's a popular topic in pop culture right now and it's in the news, and as well it's at the top of the Unread Posts thingy on my phone. I was standing next to my daughter when the umpteenth news report over the 'shocking video' came on, and she rolled her eyes.

Did I really need to post that explanation? Jesus Christ. If an apparently grown member of this forum cant take my opinion on it he can feel free to put me on ignore.

Has the media really painted it as a "shocking" video? I believe you, but that's just fucking stupid. It's over-the-top and goofy as hell, but there's absolutely nothing shocking about it. If one watches closely, it's pretty damn self-deprecating and actually stays true to what she's been about since the start. Those people in the video are fans she's met throughout the years, who now get to say they were in a film with their favorite singer. She's playing dress up which she's ALWAYS loved to do in videos and promo things. It might be on a bigger scale and a bit more ostentatious, but it's very Taylor. This might sound douchey but it's true: Real fans will recognize this.

I think its mindless pop drivel.
But that style of music is not and has never been my cup of tea.

I know it's not your cup of tea and I hear you. But I do think that "mindless" is the wrong word. This is a girl who has been a truly thoughtful songwriter for many years now. This isn't a pop princess like Britney or Miley or someone like that who doesn't have any input in the creative side of the art. She's known for being a stubborn perfectionist with her craft, and she's a very serious songwriter.

It's the lead single to her self-proclaimed "pop" album, so it stands to reason for it to be more on the shallow end than most of her stuff, but there's no way that she just threw this thing together or that it came off of a conveyor belt. That's just not how she works, and it's well documented.

The song is repetitive, has a sheen to it, and it's almost annoyingly catchy, but in my opinion all of that stuff belies some real sad truths in the lyric. I think it's a genius track.

Taylor Swift ain't mindless pop drivel. Never has been and never will be.

I really like the album cover, too. For a number of reasons:

Taylor_Swift_-_1989.png

I'm reporting in live from an undisclosed location in glamorous LA on vacation so that's why it's taken so long to weigh in and this app has eaten 3 drafts so let me say: I'm ambivalent, and I think it's meaningfully different from 22 and WANEGBT which are songs in the mold I loved/came around to.

Sent from one of my 4 iPhones

Thanks, mobs. Good. What are you doing in LA? Having dinner with Kobe?

That was my Thursday night. Last night I egged Blake Griffin's house and things got a little hairy, but that's a different story. I'm taking a brief, long weekend vacation from work in Seattle to chill w relatives down here, and local NBA stars.

The analogy I'm thinking of for the songs We Are Never/22 to Shake it Off is Elevation to Vertigo in the choices to hone the song. The shake shake shake part of the chorus doesn't bug me really, only in combination with the part before ("cruising/moving"). Those parts together is where it feels a bit anonymous. I see how it's part of a catchy song, but I want her to be distinctively Taylor, not just a writer of a popular song.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I like the concept, but I wish she were wearing a different colored top - it's so washed out it looks like she doesn't have any arms.

That was what I thought, why does she not have arms?

Then I thought clearly that's not a picture of her from 1989. Probably the only picture of her that exists prior to the 90s is the ultrasound her mother had done while pregnant.

That was what I thought, why does she not have arms?

Then I thought clearly that's not a picture of her from 1989. Probably the only picture of her that exists prior to the 90s is the ultrasound her mother had done while pregnant.

She was born in 1989. Do some research before you post ignorant shit, or just kindly get the fuck out of this thread. Thanks.

She was born in 1989. Do some research before you post ignorant shit, or just kindly get the fuck out of this thread. Thanks.

Um, then my ultrasound joke still works. Put the bottle down, gaf, your shit is older than laz's cock obsession.

I was completely sober when I posted that. Your post was just terrible, and I called you out on it. And no your joke doesn't work. Think about it.

Also, a bit of the pot calling the kettle black for both of us here. You call me out for my shit being "old". At least I'm positive most of the time. People call you out for the very same thing, except it's because you can be a huge downer.

I really like IWB too, and she knows that. But don't throw the "your shit is old" card at me when 90 percent of your posts, for many years now, have had the same negative undertones. That's all I'm saying.

And also don't come into my Taylor threads with some weak shit or else I'm gonna call you out. People should know that by now, too.

But GAF, you were seriously being shitty with her for absolutely no reason. It's a weird picture. That's basically all the conversation was about.

Her post definitely came off with a bit of a shit-talking tone, at least to me. Which is fine. Just know that I'm gonna come back at you.

I'm hyper defensive of the things I love and I always will be.

GAF, what do you think of the direction Taylor's gone over the course of these last two albums? I know you enjoy the music, but are you at all disappointed that she's kinda trying to blend in, rather than remain above the heap? Or do you think she excels while doing so?

I've posted extensively throughout this subforum about how fucking ballsy and brilliant I think Red was/is. It's one of my favorite albums ever.

We've only heard one song off this new one. But I've already posted a lot about how great I think "Shake It Off" is and how I don't think she's just "blending in" but rather staying very true to herself albeit within a bit of a different packaging.

Do you not read my posts?

I'm trying to ask you whether or not you are completely 100% positive about all of this, or if you have any small bit of disappointment/reservations. I have read all of your Taylor posts. Didn't realize you're at a point where you can't have a conversation anymore. Not even going to bother, at this point.

And yes, I am 100% positive.

RED ruled. "Shake It Off" is my favorite song of the year. I'm very happy with her direction.

Back
Top Bottom