Tame Impala - Lonerism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had a chance to listen a bit more today. Still really liking it. I think The Less I Know the Better is a standout track no one has been really talking about (edit, LM's all over it). "Come on Superman, say your stupid line..." love that bit. Today I was less bothered by the skipping in Let it Happen, so that's a good sign. I do think it loses a little bit of steam in the second half, and suffers from not having a good ending. Not that New Person is a bad song, but it just sounds like a mid-record song. When it finished and my ipod stopped playing I was like "whaaat?" I'm not a big fan of Sun's Coming Up but that gave Lonerism, an outstanding album and easily my favourite, a sense of closure.

More thoughts to come.

I never tire of Lucidity. Might me my favourite Tame Impy song.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

The song of theirs that gets stuck in my head the most often is Led Zeppelin. Should've been on the album proper.

It's on mine (in iTunes. There was a digital version that had it slotted in somewhere in the back half and I copied that). Fits perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Recently started listening to satellite radio thanks to a nifty free trial subscription, and I'm already pretty satisfied for its bringing Tame Impala to my attention (or, alternatively, I suppose I could just frequent this area of interference more than twice a year). Haven't heard much aside from the recent material, but it's enough to fuel a post outta me. Look forward to digging in the back catalogue, yo

Sent from my SCH-I435 using U2 Interference mobile app

Heard this album again about a week ago and it bowled me over. One great pop melody after another, given some added replay value thanks to great texture provided by the production, which might be their best yet.

Saw them last night. Sidney Myer Music Bowl, our third largest venue after Rod Laver and Etihad Stadium, which I've been to a ton of times - Arcade Fire, Bon Iver, The National, Kanye. Tame Impala are now at that level of popularity, even higher - the show sold out very quickly. But I kept tabs on the Facebook event page for people selling tickets and managed to nab fifth row tickets front and centre a week or so ago, I was fucking stoked. I've actually always been on the lawn in GA, which is located behind the seats and on a huge slope (it's a concert hall outdoors essentially). So it was 100000x better. Here was my locaysh

CTQhEvgUEAA8JMe.jpg

Skipped the openers. Got there, got a couple of drinks, took my seat with bae, who looked really fucking hot last night. This was the first time I'd been to a concert with a bae, after years of going to gigs and looking at couples being physically close, usually the bloke standing behind the girl body-to-body. I was a bit nervous, cos she's not as into music as I am, but she does have good taste, loves The National and Sufjan and enjoys Tame Impala. The band came out, did a little intro noodle, then launched into Let it Happen and the gig never really let up from there. I've seen them before but this was better, a bigger feast for the senses, a huge wall of sound, great graphics and a great layout on stage.

What I was surprised by was the relative lack of Currents material - this is a pretty balanced set, which means you get a great representation of Lonerism and Innerspeaker stuff, which I loved, but I was bit surprised. If anything it reminded me how much I love Lonerism. Mind Mischief and Why Won't They Talk To Me followed before It Is Not Meant to Be before The Moment got people dancing. Elephant is a long way from my fav Tame Impala song but it's so much fun, I love that huge stomp and it goes off live.

Kevin then spoke about how this is the biggest gig they've ever done, and how Melbourne's their best city to play in, even more so than Perth, their home city, and so they debuted Yes I'm Changing, which was nice, but I'd have much preferred Past Life or any of the last three tracks off Currents, none of which have appeared on tour so far. It's kinda like when LCD didn't play a lot of This is Happening for a while. But I digress. The disappointment didn't last long because up next was The Less I Know the Better, my second favourite Tame Impala song, and I was thrilled because it sounded terrific, definitely the highlight, and the crowd loved it too. Often your fav song isn't the big crowd fav, but it got about the biggest reaction of the night. Eventually was lovely, Alter Ego showed up, my third fav Tame Imp song, and it ruled. Cos I'm a Man was sensational, it has this lovely romantic, drunken swagger and sway to it, and I was cuddling mah GF so that was real nice. Apocalypse Dreams closed the main set, and god do I fucking love that song a great deal. Encore was Feels Like We Only Go Backwards of course, which would actually be in my bottom handful of songs from Lonerism, but it's a great singalong. Then they closed with Nothing That Has Happened So fAr... which is a fantastic song and a big jam.

It became obvious to me during the show that I've got a very clear and firm Tame Imp Rushmore: Music to Walk Home By / The Less I Know the Better / Alter Ego / Apocalypse Dreams. So I would have LOVED to have gotten #1 but it looks like they haven't played it all tour so it was no chance. A great show, a great band, a great night.

:up::up::up::up::up:

I made a last-second decision to go, was idly browsing Ticketmaster the day before and a seated ticket popped up. Why not. There were empty seats next to me, I suspect some people may have bought seats because there weren't any GAs left and just gone to the lawn instead (no wristbands except for those right at the front).

I'd seen Arcade Fire on the lawn and felt a bit distant, so seats are the way to go at the Bowl imo..

Lots of secondhand smoke (which I suppose I should've expected :eek:), but was a bit surprised there didn't seem to be anyone doing anything about it except the two security dudes next to the stage, for such a large venue.

I hadn't listened to any albums, just the songs that have music videos so maybe I'll check them out now.. I seem to do this with a lot of bands I see for some reason :shifty:

Next up, Pokemon Symphonic Evolutions on Friday :cabbagepatch:

Last edited:
Saw them last night. Sidney Myer Music Bowl, our third largest venue after Rod Laver and Etihad Stadium, which I've been to a ton of times - Arcade Fire, Bon Iver, The National, Kanye. Tame Impala are now at that level of popularity, even higher - the show sold out very quickly. But I kept tabs on the Facebook event page for people selling tickets and managed to nab fifth row tickets front and centre a week or so ago, I was fucking stoked. I've actually always been on the lawn in GA, which is located behind the seats and on a huge slope (it's a concert hall outdoors essentially). So it was 100000x better. Here was my locaysh

CTQhEvgUEAA8JMe.jpg

Skipped the openers. Got there, got a couple of drinks, took my seat with bae, who looked really fucking hot last night. This was the first time I'd been to a concert with a bae, after years of going to gigs and looking at couples being physically close, usually the bloke standing behind the girl body-to-body. I was a bit nervous, cos she's not as into music as I am, but she does have good taste, loves The National and Sufjan and enjoys Tame Impala. The band came out, did a little intro noodle, then launched into Let it Happen and the gig never really let up from there. I've seen them before but this was better, a bigger feast for the senses, a huge wall of sound, great graphics and a great layout on stage.

What I was surprised by was the relative lack of Currents material - this is a pretty balanced set, which means you get a great representation of Lonerism and Innerspeaker stuff, which I loved, but I was bit surprised. If anything it reminded me how much I love Lonerism. Mind Mischief and Why Won't They Talk To Me followed before It Is Not Meant to Be before The Moment got people dancing. Elephant is a long way from my fav Tame Impala song but it's so much fun, I love that huge stomp and it goes off live.

Kevin then spoke about how this is the biggest gig they've ever done, and how Melbourne's their best city to play in, even more so than Perth, their home city, and so they debuted Yes I'm Changing, which was nice, but I'd have much preferred Past Life or any of the last three tracks off Currents, none of which have appeared on tour so far. It's kinda like when LCD didn't play a lot of This is Happening for a while. But I digress. The disappointment didn't last long because up next was The Less I Know the Better, my second favourite Tame Impala song, and I was thrilled because it sounded terrific, definitely the highlight, and the crowd loved it too. Often your fav song isn't the big crowd fav, but it got about the biggest reaction of the night. Eventually was lovely, Alter Ego showed up, my third fav Tame Imp song, and it ruled. Cos I'm a Man was sensational, it has this lovely romantic, drunken swagger and sway to it, and I was cuddling mah GF so that was real nice. Apocalypse Dreams closed the main set, and god do I fucking love that song a great deal. Encore was Feels Like We Only Go Backwards of course, which would actually be in my bottom handful of songs from Lonerism, but it's a great singalong. Then they closed with Nothing That Has Happened So fAr... which is a fantastic song and a big jam.

It became obvious to me during the show that I've got a very clear and firm Tame Imp Rushmore: Music to Walk Home By / The Less I Know the Better / Alter Ego / Apocalypse Dreams. So I would have LOVED to have gotten #1 but it looks like they haven't played it all tour so it was no chance. A great show, a great band, a great night.

:up::up::up::up::up:

Lovely review - being in the front section of the Music Bowl is definitely far better than being back on the hill. I was in the stalls about 20 rows back slightly to the left and the experience is comfortably intimate with plenty of space to work with, but kinda cool knowing that there is this heaving mass of ten thousand bodies right behind you.

I was stoked that Yes, I'm Changing was given a debut, but was a little underwhelmed by it. It was the first song from the album that initially struck me with a wow factor of sorts. Kinda tumbled down my order of favourites since.

Hopefully this may signal possible live appearances for Past Life and Reality in Motion. Must say, that I was super impressed by The Moment in the live environment. One of the highlights of the night for me, along with Nothing that has happened..., It Is Not Meant To Be and Elephant (surprisingly), and Less I Know The Better.

But yeah, more Currents material would have been nice. The album blows the other two out of the water, for me.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Lonerism might be one of my fav albums ever, so can't agree with that, but I do love Currents.

You're spot on about the Bowl though - it's pretty amazing being up front cos it feels very intimate but then you turn your head and it's an incredible sight. Must be a thrill to play.

Video of the year for me so far and will likely stay that way. Very sexy, very creative and fun. Great use of color. Great song.

Last edited:
They really might be my favorite rock band of this decade.

Why? Serious question; I just listened to Currents and Lonerism back to back, I'm genuinely trying to understand the appeal.

Of those albums, the only tracks I enjoy at all are 'Let It Happen', 'Keep On Lying', 'Elephant' and 'Feels Like We Only Go Backwards'. Obviously those latter two were hits too.

The rest just seems so... Superficial. Kevin Parker is a characterless vocalist, and the songs just seem to meander without a great amount of purpose or verve.

I know that this is just my opinion, and not a popular one, it's just that my disconnect from this artist seems so illogical to me. I'm from Fremantle, my sister used to be KP's neighbour (she adores them), I like music in a similar vein to what they produce... But when I listen to Tame Impala, I'm just bored.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

That's interesting, because of those four tracks, only one of them (Let it Happen) I rate highly. Keep on Lying is an overlong dirge, Elephant is fun but extremely derivative and Feels Like has always felt a little too on-the-nose for me.

I don't think he is a characterless vocalist, I think he just treats his voice as another element in the mix (remember he is Tame Impala, the other band members just flesh it out live). I'll talk specifically about Lonerism, which is one of my all-time favourite albums, and it's the layering of the all the different musical parts (Kevin Parker's vocals being one of those) that make it a winner for me. The attention to detail is astonishing, and that's what separates it from other bands/artists who make music that also falls in that space between background/mood music and rock music. Take Mind Mischief, for example. The final minute is pure fucking bliss. The way the music slides from one channel to the other, with synths, gentle drum work, guitar lines, his vocal... it's fucking beautiful and it's not even my favourite song on the record.

Characterless vocalist? He's sounds like John Lennon but with reverb.

like tons and tons of reverb, I bet. i still really doubt that he really did have 1000 of takes for vocals. i mean, why not just trying adding little bit of that 'verb, you know what I'm saying?

Back
Top Bottom