Tame Impala - Lonerism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
719px-Dat_cartridge.jpg

Dat.

So I was standing in the back, minding my own business. Tame Impala was about three songs into their set. A nice man comes up and asks if I wanted to go into the pit. He had a few extra wristbands. I said " yes, thank you" and he wristbanded me, and I spent most of the concert in the pit, where I was able to see everything, not just the top of the screen. :)

It was a great show; the band sounded wonderful.

Okay I said I will get Innerspeaker and give it a listen. So I did.

I think I kind of see what you people are on about. The songs do get quite addictive with every listen. Right now I'm enjoying the heck out of It's Not Meant To Be, Alter Ego, Lucidity (that riff :drool: ), Bold Arrow Of Time and I Don't Really Mind. I think I also liked Jeremy's Storm and Expectations.

But I feel that Alter Ego is not the best track to listen to if you are curious about this album. It's Not Meant To Be is way more listener-friendly in my opinion. I think that's the one I liked first.

If I had to say anything remotely negative about this band, I'd say that it is nothing groundbreakingly new. The music sounds like late 60s psychedelia and the singer sounds like John Lennon. But it is delicious stuff though!

This album is a celebration of the 60s not unlike:

Kula_Shaker_-_K.jpg

I'm not implying that the albums sound similar in any way though.

Flaming Lips and Tame Impala are recording an EP of each other doing each other's songs which is going to be made available for sale next month on at their shows together.

But I feel that Alter Ego is not the best track to listen to if you are curious about this album. It's Not Meant To Be is way more listener-friendly in my opinion. I think that's the one I liked first.

If I had to say anything remotely negative about this band, I'd say that it is nothing groundbreakingly new. The music sounds like late 60s psychedelia and the singer sounds like John Lennon. But it is delicious stuff though!

Nobody has anything to say about my comments above? No discussion?

Btw, I listened to Lonerism too. And I know it's too early to tell but I prefer Innerspeaker... by a lot!

They're things that have been expressed much in the past. Don't worry about non-responses, you get used to that :wink:

Alter Ego has been my favourite track from Innerspeaker since the moment I heard it, but I prefer Lonerism by a long, long way.

They're both really enjoyable albums. I still listen to that school choir version of Feels Like We Only Go Backwards from time to time.

Innerspeaker was the awesome debut of an awesome band. It's tough to name a weak track; there might not actually be one.

Lonerism is their first masterpiece. It takes you on a wild adventure that flows beautifully while revealing new surprises with each listen. One of my favorite albums of the decade.

Agreed that it is tough to name a weak track off Innerspeaker. It is just stunning from start to finish! And it's awesome how the album grows on you. :drool:

I still have to give Lonerism more spins.

I think Elephant is the most new listener-friendly song of theirs. It was the first track that made me check this band out and now I cannot get enough of Innerspeaker.

Innerspeaker was alright. That's the best thing you're going to hear me say about this band, though.

For the EP, the Flaming Lips seem to have covered "Runway, Houses, City, Clouds" and "Elephant". Tame Impala seem to be doing the Flaming Lips' "Are You a Hypnotist?" and "Silver Trembling Hands". (They have been testing out these covers in a live setting recently.)

Hopefully they release it digitally as well.

Man, if it's not one per person I'd gladly take you up on that and PayPal you.

Okay, here's a review of sorts for Lonerism. I have listened to it now all the way through at least 3 or 4 times but I have to say that I still prefer Innerspeaker. I do not hate this second album by any stretch at all but I feel that the debut is more consistent throughout. That said, I really do enjoy many parts of this album. Here's a track by track review:

Be Above It: Interesting opening for sure which I found pretty unremarkable initially but it has grown on me now. Not bad an opener although not great either. 3/5

Endors Toi: It has a fantastic start to it and then it kinda trails off into repetition. I noticed this with a few songs here. 3.5/5

Apocalypse Dreams: Good song. Definitely the best one so far. I like the part where the song stops completely and starts again half a second later with the 'everything is changing' verse. 4.5/5

Mind Mischief: This one took a long time to semi-grow on me. I'm still not crazy about it but it's got lots of cool sounding effects like the left channel right channel speaker thing which continues on to the end of the song. 3.5/5

Music To Walk Home By: Once again, a fantastic start followed by way too much repetition. 3/5

Why Won't They Talk To Me?: I like this one. It's cute. Really like the flow of this too. One of my favourites here. 4/5

Feels Like We Only Go Backwards: This one has also grown on me over several listens. This is the very first Tame Impala song I heard thanks to a Desert Island entry. It was probably not the best song of theirs to listen to first. But eh, it's fine. 4/5

Keep On Lying: This is flat out my favourite on this album, along with Elephant of course which I'm a bit sick of at this point. I absolutely love how it begins casually, the extended jam in the middle and how it ends as casually as it started. Brilliant stuff this. 5/5

Elephant: Nothing much to say except... excellent track! My favourite Tame Impala song but I'm a bit sick of it now. 5/5

She Just Won't Believe Me: Pretty cool but way too short to make an opinion of. 2/5

Nothing That Has Happened So Far Has Been Anything We Could Control: Damn! And I thought U2 had long titles... This is a nice one with tons of cool psychedelic touches here and there. I like it. 4/5

Sun's Coming Up: Hmmm don't know what to think of this. It starts well and ends weirdly. 2.5/5

So yeah... certain parts of this album I really love but overall it is a bit uneven. Who knows. Maybe further listens may change or modify my opinion. Thanks for reading. :)

PS: Oh, and he seems to sound a bit less like Lennon now. lol.

Interesting that you say the repetition in some tracks bothers you but you list Keep On Lying as one of your favourite tracks. That one (though I do like it quite a bit) begins to drag on and the background riff stays throughout the entire track.

Music To Walk Home By remains my favourite track, love love love the riff that comes in during the last minute.

Agree on Lennon. That distracted me on Innerspeaker, but he comes into his own on Lonerism I think.

You should check out the bonus track Led Zeppelin, too. I think you'll like it. Tame Impala - 'Led Zeppelin' - YouTube

Interesting that you say the repetition in some tracks bothers you but you list Keep On Lying as one of your favourite tracks. That one (though I do like it quite a bit) begins to drag on and the background riff stays throughout the entire track.

Agreed. That one is perhaps the only track that grates on me.

She Just Won't Believe Me is absolutely gorgeous. I wish it were 5 minutes longer, even if it never went anywhere else.

If you want something a bit heavier like Innerspeaker but similarly psychedelic, check out Ta Det Lugnt by Dungen. Arguably my favorite psych rock record of the last 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom