Tame Impala - Lonerism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Every time I see a chevy impala I think I've never checked out this band. But I don't need to hear anything that wants to be the flaming lips and/or pink floyd.

My description / comparison wasn't meant as a slight, they're pretty dang good.

Australians who want to be The Flaming Lips and / or Pink Floyd. If you like either of those two groups, it's a pretty safe bet.

They sound like the Beatles at their most stoned, but even more stoned. With fuzzy Zeppelin riffs thrown over the top.

Lucidity and Why Don't You Make Up Your Mind are my favorites from Innerspeaker, and now there are two great songs already out from Lonerism.

They don't sound anything like Flaming Lips to me. The Flips have never been that chill. Pink Floyd, maybe, but still more upbeat than that. I think if you combine the two though...that could work. But stick John Lennon on vocals.

:hmm:

I wouldn't say identical. I'd say similar. Just like the dude from Peter Bjorn and John.

u2popmofo said:
My description / comparison wasn't meant as a slight, they're pretty dang good.

Yeah, I didn't think it was. Given the people who like them around here, it's a variety of folks so I can't really peg what they sound like. Usually if LM, cobbler, you to a degree, 212er like something and pitchfork raves about it, I have a vague inclination I'm going to hate it. Or if there's a female singer, imps and iyup enjoy it, I kind of have an idea as well. But you throw Martha into the mix, and I vaguely recall shouter digging these guys, then I have no idea what I should expect.

I do have certain expectations like that, yeah.

If Laz recommends me something from the 80s, forget it.
If Laz recommends me something from the 90s, I'll buy two copies.
If Impy likes a band with a female vocalist, I'll probably hate them.
If Impy likes a band with a male vocalist, I'll probably consider them an all-time favorite.
If Axver likes a band with "pop" (or, to a lesser extent, "wave") as a suffix in one of their genres, I'll probably love them. Otherwise, no.
If Ashley recommends me something, I'll probably like it, unless there's a Scottish guy singing.
If iYup recommends me something, I know to load up on dry brown liquor.

And so on.

I couldn't really sum things up like that. I guess if Shouter recommends something, I'll hate it 9 out of 10 times but love the 10th one. For just about everyone else, it really depends.

I'm kidding to a certain extent. And there have been a few cases where I've regretted not checking out a band sooner because I've written them off as crap based on the people here who were posting in whatever thread. But there are certain bands I've checked out and realized later, I should have seen that type of sound coming given who was hyping them. It would be like if you clicked a link from a thread I started from back when I used to think people might like some of the stuff I was listening to that wasn't being discussed here. A safe bet would be that it was some kind of loud punk rock n roll or hardcore band.

IWasBored said:
I'm kidding to a certain extent. And there have been a few cases where I've regretted not checking out a band sooner because I've written them off as crap based on the people here who were posting in whatever thread. But there are certain bands I've checked out and realized later, I should have seen that type of sound coming given who was hyping them. It would be like if you clicked a link from a thread I started from back when I used to think people might like some of the stuff I was listening to that wasn't being discussed here. A safe bet would be that it was some kind of loud punk rock n roll or hardcore band.

I'd be all like "IF IWB RECOMMENDS ME SOMETHING IT'S PROBABLY EAR RAPE HAW HAW" but I'm at a crossroads with hardcore right now. I don't know what the fuck is going on. I'm really falling for that 90s hardcore though, and the bands channeling it like Titus Andronicus, Fucked Up, Japandroids and so on. Don't assume people aren't interested in your opinion!

No spoken words said:
By the way, this was fucking awesome.

:up:

You know, the thing for me is, I guess, that I give everyone's recs in here a chance, especially if they're really feeling passionate about it. I guess I sort of know whose tastes line up with mine best and whose are furthest away, but everyone in here loves music so much that I'm always willing to give stuff a listen. And it's paid off so many times, you know?

I wish more people made threads for albums, like this one. Would you have noticed Tame Impala if a few youtube links were thrown around in Random, NSW? Bands don't really catch fire around here unless someone steps up and makes a thread for them.

Another bonus of separate threads: if we're lucky, posters who don't carry Cock Force memberships will weigh in. I like it when that happens. We're a fairly insular group, as Von Schloopen noted. :wave:

Exactly why I create 700 of them :)

I'd start them for all of my favorite old bands, but those tend to flop. No metacritic scores and BNMs to prod with, and a lot of preconceived notions about the artist come into play if they have a hit or two that aren't especially good.

LemonMelon said:
I'd be all like "IF IWB RECOMMENDS ME SOMETHING IT'S PROBABLY EAR RAPE HAW HAW" but I'm at a crossroads with hardcore right now. I don't know what the fuck is going on. I'm really falling for that 90s hardcore though, and the bands channeling it like Titus Andronicus, Fucked Up, Japandroids and so on. Don't assume people aren't interested in your opinion!

:up:

You've heard some stuff that has made you realize there's still an incredible element of pop catchiness in a lot of hardcore and punk rock. You're a pop music kind of guy when you're not listening to lush orchestrations and experimental hipster crap. I was talking to a friend of mine at work last week, and genre-wise I couldn't care less what people are calling something. Or what bands they're likening it to. I'm a sucker for something catchy, something with a hook, something anthemic I can sing along to. There's a lot of it in that kind of music.

You've heard some stuff that has made you realize there's still an incredible element of pop catchiness in a lot of hardcore and punk rock. You're a pop music kind of guy when you're not listening to lush orchestrations and experimental hipster crap. I was talking to a friend of mine at work last week, and genre-wise I couldn't care less what people are calling something. Or what bands they're likening it to. I'm a sucker for something catchy, something with a hook, something anthemic I can sing along to. There's a lot of it in that kind of music.

Yeah, that's exactly, 100% what it is. I've really been craving that sound lately. Something loud and free, but also sticks in your head. Bands like NoMeansNo and Jawbreaker are really doing it for me.

And also, lots of psych. Tame Impala and Unknown Mortal Orchestra came around at the right time.

It's really the same thing as simple pop music. It's just louder and often more abrasive, hence the reason I prefer it over pop music.

Solitude is Bliss is my favorite. Local indie station plays it fairly often still.

I actually don't have t his album, it took so long to come out int he US that I didn't pick it up when it finally did. I'll need to pick it up along with NSW I guess.

Back
Top Bottom