Tame Impala - Lonerism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, the thing for me is, I guess, that I give everyone's recs in here a chance, especially if they're really feeling passionate about it. I guess I sort of know whose tastes line up with mine best and whose are furthest away, but everyone in here loves music so much that I'm always willing to give stuff a listen. And it's paid off so many times, you know?

Yeah, I feel essentially the same way. I have discovered countless great albums through recommendations from B&C. The year-end lists are priceless in that regard.

Yeah, I feel essentially the same way. I have discovered countless great albums through recommendations from B&C. The year-end lists are priceless in that regard.

This place is pretty much my only source for new bands anymore. I used to wander the stacks at Tower Records on Friday night when my husband was away at grad school, listening to everything I could find. Now I just come here. Sometimes I'll check out "what others have bought" on Amazon.

Great set! Apocalypse Dreams and Elephant both sounded nice, particularly the latter. Will definitely see them this autumn.

Magnetic fields were different, since I knew I liked born on a train 7 or 8 years ago but slacked majorly in ever getting around to hearing much more than a handful of tunes. So it's not like I heard you guys talking about them and decided the must suck or anything. If I was going to play music, I'd be one part stephin merritt, one part Trent reznor, and one part Pete townshend. except bad. And that is why I'm not in a band. No one can work with that.

Haha, hey, I like Bruce too. We just won't mention I'm on fire. :p

That's the stephin merritt part. All that happiness. Absolutely nothing to do with songwriting talent, let's get that straight. I'm talking purely egos, misery, and affinity for loud power chords and interesting noises on synthesizers.

I really need to check out some tame impala still.

Great set! Apocalypse Dreams and Elephant both sounded nice, particularly the latter. Will definitely see them this autumn.

I needed a cigarette after Elephant > Lucidity > International Feel (yeah, they covered Todd Rundgren).

These guys are definitely among the best bands in the land.

I needed a cigarette after Elephant > Lucidity > International Feel (yeah, they covered Todd Rundgren).

These guys are definitely among the best bands in the land.

Yeah, the transition between Lucidity and International Feel was perfect! Also, Runaway Houses, City Clouds has to be my favourite song from Innerspeaker. That solo at the end :drool:
The bass was insane in all the songs, and I loved how the bass player looked so quiet nonetheless.

The album is sweeeeeet. They don't make em like this anymore. It's got those super dated synths from old prog records, but very little of the pretense to go along with them. Lots of good tunes, and very few that cause my interest to wane. Innerspeaker took ages to grow on me, so I won't compare it to that one, but I know I really, really like it already.

Also, as far as fucked up 70s callback albums go, this kicks the new Ariel Pink square in the ass. It's really not even close.

Is a physical version of this thing going to be released in the US? I've never seen a copy of the debut anywhere.

It is, iYup. I think the first one was finally released in the US too, as you can buy it on Amazon for a normal price now, but I've never seen it in a store either.

25934696_002_b

My first impression is that this one is a bit of a grower. There are a lot of things happening in the songs. With Innerspeaker it was instant love, but I also got tired of it after a while. The new one seems more complex and nuanced. There are a lot of things happening in the songs. Also, they are using synthesizers a lot more, which is... interesting, I suppose.

Second listen was twice as good as the first. If you thought you liked Apocalypse Dreams by itself, just wait until you hear it in the context of Lonerism's awesome sequencing. The first three tracks are a real head trip, but there are no truly weak spots.

It's no better or worse than Innerspeaker, really, just a bit aloof compared to that extremely joyful record. Parts of this remind me of Embryonic's more meditative tracks.

Hm. I'm not sure what to think of that last line. I may have to temper my expectations a bit.

Back
Top Bottom