Tame Impala - Lonerism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hopefully we will get a stream by Friday. Seems like it has become traditional to put streams up a week in advance, so hopefully that will continue with the new global release date thing.

This is what Grooveshark was really good for. I felt less guilty streaming pre-release leaks on there than downloading them.

*runs*

Last edited:
I piece leaked albums together using streaming MP3 sites like myfreemp3 and songs.to so I don't have to download them. I've gotten cease and desists in the past, so I try to avoid downloads if possible. Granted, that makes for a rather fragmented first listen, but I go in with the assumption that I'll care enough to hear it again. That was definitely the case here.

Let It Happen is one of the weakest tracks.

Let It Happen is by far the best song on the album. Currents is a disaster. I really didn't see this coming given how good Innerspeaker and Lonerism. I thought he was on an upward trajectory...

I've been reading opinions on this album on At Ease, where a lot more people listen to leaks. Seems this record is very divisive. I've seen everything from "perfect" to "unlistenable." I guess it really depends on why you enjoyed Tame Impala's earlier work and what directions you are expecting it to take.

I've been reading opinions on this album on At Ease, where a lot more people listen to leaks. Seems this record is very divisive. I've seen everything from "perfect" to "unlistenable." I guess it really depends on why you enjoyed Tame Impala's earlier work and what directions you are expecting it to take.

That's about as good a review as any album can get on At Ease, and I don't mean to say that's their way of giving this an album a stamp of approval. Reactions there range from "mixed" to "appalled."

Yeah, it's not a disaster at all. It's my least favorite of the first three, but still one of my favorite records of the year. People need to chill.

Yes I really like this. Much like the follow-up to In Rainbows, I tempered my expectations going in because it's very hard for an artist to release something as great as an album you loved as much as Lonerism, but this is really good and I'm not even finished yet. Those worrying about an overly electronic sound can be assuaged. It's more synth-y and grabs you less than Lonerism, but it's a very, very nice listen and the moments that are a bit 80s new wave-y (Cause I'm a Man, Yes I'm Changing) are really nice on the ears. Can't wait to buy this thing properly and really get to know it.

BNM from Pitchfork. And like their hundredth 9.3 score of the year. That year-end list is gonna be crazy, given they now can't seem to give anything other than a 9.3 if they're going above 8.9.

FUCK all the coloured vinyl is sold out :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

if any of you kind people find a way to pre-order/order/get it, could you please let me know? I would love a copy and several here can vouch for me paying in return pretty quickly!

I fear the love for it will make you a little bitter given how much you love the first two.

Even if that were something I often did with my favorite bands, it wouldn't be a problem with this record. Currents has been extremely divisive so far. I'm actually stunned by the Pitchfork score, but am also glad because it might give some people the impetus to give this change in direction a fair chance. It's yet another really well crafted album.

You did it recently, maybe last year, but I can't remember what for. Anyway. I've only had one listen but I can't really see how this has been so divisive. There are obvious differences between the first two and this one but there's also a lot of similarities, distant, echoey vocals, washes of sound with about five different instruments playing at once, harmonies, sad-yet-effortlessly feelgood vocals/lyrics... it's still unmistakeably a Tame Impala record.

I think people have the impression that this record uses more synths and less guitars, which I would guess is probably true without actually working out the percentages. Even still, I agree this absolutely sounds like a Tame Impala record, and a good one at that. Past Lives is pretty WTF, but even it has its high points. But a 9.3...?

This year I have decided I would much rather pay $18 for 24-bit digital than $25 for vinyl, which I can never seem to find time to listen to anyway. But I can vouch for Cobbler's quick payments, even for some pretty ridiculous international shipping rates.

I wasn't surprised by that score. Pitchfork LOVE it when a guitar band goes more pop.

I just really want this. It looks absolutely wicked. Looks like it's still available through Amazon Canada? http://www.amazon.ca/Currents-Colou...0&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=currents+tame+impal;a

currents.jpg

I actually don't think the album is that big a leap, but a lot of other people seem to. The same aesthetic is there and Reality In Motion in particular sounds a whole lot like a Lonerism track.

It is still available from Amazon, 1-2 weeks shipping is $30 (AUS), which seems reasonable? Anyone know if it would be cheaper for someone here to buy and ship for me? Just working out my options. Otherwise I'll just buy it myself.

I actually don't think the album is that big a leap, but a lot of other people seem to. The same aesthetic is there and Reality In Motion in particular sounds a whole lot like a Lonerism track.

Yeah, I haven't heard the whole thing, but of the singles released, I don't see how anyone would take them for anything but Tame Impala. It's even there in the lyrics, which continue to be trite as hell - probably the only real weak point this band has.

Thanks heaps man. I just ordered it from there. Only worked to be $53, and given the normal vinyl here is $43, I'm fucking stoked. I knew I should have checked Amoeba. That place is like my heaven. Have never steered me wrong. And it's due to get here only a week or so after the release date. Very, very happy boy :up:

Amoeba is a great store. I happened across one while in San Francisco a few years back, and it did not disappoint. Probably second only to Reckless in Chicago as the best US record store I've been to.

Listened to the stream last night. Sounded like a great album. I'll wait till next week to listen again but I'd imagine that this will be up there in my year end rankings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a third listen: yep, I really like this album. It has a lot of flaws; I could pick out a handful of issues in nearly every track and Past Life is the single worst Tame Impala song to date, but the good vastly outweighs the bad. The Less I Know The Better has such great bass and proves to be one of the funkiest songs of the year despite retaining the band's washed out aesthetic. Reality In Motion is a great return to the sound of Lonerism that still manages to fit in thanks to its pop structure and sparkling melody. Disciples is way too short but is a perfect psychedelic pop song in the vein of Ariel Pink regardless. Cause I'm a Man has terrible lyrics but the melody is spot on for the era it's trying to capture and I'm a sucker for that nasty guitar line in the chorus.

If I had to rate it, it's a solid 8 compared to the 8.5 of Innerspeaker and 9 of Lonerism. This band is incapable of putting out an album I don't like.

Last edited:
So I've been trying to preorder the cd on Amazon and nothing. Hm. Hopefully it's not one of those dumb vinyl or MP3 only releases (like another band I really like just did).

This year I have decided I would much rather pay $18 for 24-bit digital than $25 for vinyl, which I can never seem to find time to listen to anyway.

This will be the first new album from the last three years that I've skipped out on...I'm planning a career change soon to flight attendant and realize that it makes no sense to be shipping in vinyl records to my house when I'm not home (even if my girlfriend will be) and to purchase them when I won't even be around half the time. I decided now would be a good time to break free since I have a 24 Bit/Hi-Res player on order from LH Labs that I'll have in a few months, anyway, and it's good to start saving money now since I'm going to have to stop this collecting anyway in the future.

I won't be paying for digital, mind you, and I'm still down with purchasing cassettes since they fit through are mail slot and come with FLAC rips on BandCamp (a great way to support these artists for cheap, especially since half the time you have to buy something to get a digital copy off there).

Vinyl is still awesome, but I'm loving not having to order things here and worry about them and clear the shelf space, etc. Record Store Day is still something I'll participate in for some cool new releases and reissues, but I just don't have the time/effort/expense to keep the LP collection growing further into the hundreds.

New album is awesome, by the way. For me, it's on-par with the other two. :up:

Back
Top Bottom