Surfer Blood - Astro Coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I'll preface this wholehearted recommendation by saying that this is probably the most derivative album you'll hear all year. Set that aside, however, and it offers terrific approximations of any band you may or may not already love.

Want some Blue Album Weezer?

YouTube - Surfer Blood - Swim (Live on KEXP)

Want some Vampire Weekend?

YouTube - Surfer Blood - "Take it Easy" (Live at The Echo in Los Angeles )

Want some Shins?

YouTube - Surfer Blood - "Twin Peaks" (Live at The Echo in Los Angeles on 11-27-09)

And, seriously, that reverb-heavy production is reminiscent of Girls' Album, to me at least. It's difficult to pick up on when you listen to these live recordings, but on the album it's far more obvious.

Hype:

Pitchfork: Album Reviews: Surfer Blood: Astro Coast (8.2/10)
Surfer Blood: Astro Coast | Music | Review | The A.V. Club (B+)
Surfer Blood, 'Astro Coast' (Kanine) | Spin Magazine Online (8/10)
Dusted Reviews: Surfer Blood - Astro Coast (8/10, per Metacritic)

I'm tempering it a bit to retain at least some level of objectivity, but, rest assured, I'm absolutely thrilled with this album. Every song is exceptional on its own terms, but I can't deny that this is right up my alley anyway. This is one new band I'm really excited about.

Good stuff. I dig me some simple, upbeat, hooky (and, yes, derivative) rock. And the kids seem to be enjoying themselves while making it, which is always good. I moseyed on over to their last.fm page and checked out "Floating Vibes" and I think that's my favorite of their tracks at this point.

Will have to remember to return to these guys.

axver liked this if i recall correctly.

which means one of two things - the world will blow up before the Mayans believe it will, or 2) i should check it out.

the fact that they do a song called "Twin Peaks" is enough reason for me to give them a try.

Well no, I don't want some Blue Album Weezer, much less Vampire Weekend, but I will grant that some of this band's songs are quite pleasant. The reverb helps.

pretty good, but i think it fall out of sights (mine at least) later on.

Harmonix reminds me Another Time, Another Place and i quite dislike Take it Easy (obvious reasons).

My copy should arrive tomorrow with Shearwater. I bought this entirely off of LeMeL's recommendation and support, so if I don't like it, he'll be dead to me FOR EVAR

Shit, I doubt you'll have time for it with new Shearwater to hear. :lol:

It's an unassuming record. Really breezy, fun music that was probably released in the wrong season. Regardless, I do think it holds up. I find a new favorite from it regularly. Today: Fast Jabroni.

I've heard, and really like, Swim in full, and have heard clips on iTunes for most of the rest of it. I'm almost positive I'll like it based on what I've heard, so you don't have much to worry about. Should be a good week for new cds.

I've heard, and really like, Swim in full, and have heard clips on iTunes for most of the rest of it. I'm almost positive I'll like it based on what I've heard, so you don't have much to worry about. Should be a good week for new cds.

I only worry because I'm a repeat offender with Utahn Justice. :uhoh:

Wait, that's not Texan Justice, and you're not Impy. Yeehaw.

This is approximately 9000, if not over 9000, times better than that Shearwater album. This is simply a good-ass record (neither FUCKING GREAT nor turrible), something which for some reason seems to many a quaint notion, these days. I have been listening to this regularly (maybe 1-3 times/week), without much fuss, since November. It never demands to be played, but it's impossible to turn off, when it is played. I think that that's a good thing, and wish there were more records like this one. Nice to have something which doesn't sound like the greatest album on earth for a week or two, only to disappear forever within moments. Good old consistency! A precious commodity.

The first two songs, Floating Vibes and Swim, blow almost everything else away that comes after them on this album. I say almost because Anchorage is incredible as well.

Those are the three that really stand out for me. The others are decent, certainly not terrible, but I wouldn't consider them above average or anything.

Because it sounds a bit like Vampire Weekend. Unsurprisingly, I consider it one of the weaker tracks myself.

Well, I like that song better than anything I've heard by Vampire Weekend. I listened to each of Vampire Weekend's albums once. That was enough.

I agree that the first two are the best, but I also really enjoy Take It Easy and Twin Peaks quite a bit.

i'll have to listen again, but after two listens, the first two tracks didn't necessarily stick out more than the rest of the album.

Fast Jabroni, Twin Peaks, Anchorage > Floating Vibes, Swim. I actually prefer the second half.

i did like this, by the way. I was chatting and taking care of some crap for work while listening to it though, so I couldn't really tell you any specific songs at this point. They were all fairly enjoyable.

Fast Jabroni, Twin Peaks, Anchorage > Floating Vibes, Swim. I actually prefer the second half.

Really? I think the last three in general kill the momentum horribly. Basically, everything after Fast Jabroni is skippable for me.

A new album, Pythons, is on tap for sometime in spring. There's a new track from it here:

Surfer Blood – Pythons

There are a handful of tour dates listed there as well, which are completely inaccessible to me. Hopefully they swing by Chicago during the festival season, I would love to see them in that context.

The lead singer got arrested for beating up his girlfriend and I won't ever be listening to this band again.

Back
Top Bottom