Sufjan Stevens is Going All White Stripes on Us. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2007, 08:14 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Yeah. It was interesting in an OMG-that's-Sufjan? kind of way but I don't need to hear it again.
I second that. It was interesting to listen to for the first 30 seconds but once the novelty wore off I grew kinda bored with the song.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:20 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:52 AM
Quote:
I don't care what his new stuff sounds like as long as he drops the pretentious long song titles. If not he can go fuck himself
It's funny, I tend to hate pretentious long song titles but I'm not bothered at all by Sufjans.

Usually because the music is too damn good to worry about petty things like that.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:28 AM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:22 PM
Who cares about titles? Just give me a good song.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen

What exactly is The Believer anyway?
The Believer is a hip literary magazine published by McSweeney's of San Francisco, founded by writer Dave Eggers and edited by his wife, writer Vendela Vida. Every June/July they publish a music issue with a CD.

http://www.believermag.com/
Old 11-07-2007, 11:11 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

The Fey Highwayman
On Sufjan Stevens's indulgent, hula-hoop-plagued BQE symphony
by Rob Harvilla
November 5th, 2007

All my friends who don't live in New York hate New York. Near as I can tell, they imagine the city as one giant, loathsome American Apparel ad, a crass, joyless, narcissistic, careerist, emaciated, insincere, hopelessly uptight, suffocatingly twee cesspool of white-privilege Williamsburg hipsterdom. I'm paraphrasing; they're stereotyping. Mashed into the BAM Howard Gilman Opera House Saturday night, beholding the third and final sold-out performance of Sufjan Stevens's half-hour symphony dedicated to the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, with roughly 15,000 musicians crammed onstage unleashing whirling, whimsical dervishes as five vegan-thin dancers cheerfully gyrate with glowing neon hula hoops and three video screens blare arty auto-erotic footage overhead, I revel in what my friends are missing even as I concede their point. Only in New York. This is precious, precious, precious stuff.

Let me say up front that the world is a far more interesting and wondrous place with Sufjan in it; furthermore, one of his songs frequently makes me cry. We'll come back to that. For now, I have the hula-hoopers to contend with. They are a wee bit unnerving, the hula-hoopers. A toxic overload of Cute. The program includes a two-page essay, penned by Sufjan himself, explaining exactly how hula hoops pertain to the BQE, and to the symphony he has written in its honor. Something to do with the wheel, perpetual motion, the rotation of the Earth, etc. "As a symbolic construction, the hoop is an existential goldmine," Sufjan writes. Oh, do go on. The BQE is Sufjan's first symphony, one of myriad distractions from his (suffocatingly twee) "write an album for all 50 states" enterprise; "rock and roll is dead," he recently announced. His approach here is sheepish and self-conscious—the hula-hoopers aren't a metaphor but a distraction. Subtract them and the video projections (pure Wes Anderson, with their coyly formal title cards and fey shoebox-diorama odes to tires, brake lights, bodegas, prominent landmarks, and yet more hula-hooping), and you've got a tremendously elaborate but frequently clumsy sonic spectacle, way too cluttered and way too loud, with one of Sufjan's ornate and intricate orchestral-pop melodies occasionally wriggling loose and breathing free for 30 seconds or so before it's overwhelmed again. Every so often, an abrupt, triumphant final flourish—ta-dah!—indicates the end of a movement. Flawed but ambitious, etc. You know the drill.

rest of article here:
http://www.villagevoice.com/music/07...,78238,22.html

Wish I could've been there.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:43 AM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:22 AM
Quote:
furthermore, one of his songs frequently makes me cry. We'll come back to that.
Aw, I thought it was going to be "John Wayne Gacy, Jr", which makes ME cry. Oh well. I'll have to go listen to "Casimir Pulaski Day" now and see if it sends me to tears as well.

after reading that article, I think I would be annoyed by him in concert. I'll stick to enjoying the records in the comfort of my own home.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:23 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem

Aw, I thought it was going to be "John Wayne Gacy, Jr", which makes ME cry. Oh well. I'll have to go listen to "Casimir Pulaski Day" now and see if it sends me to tears as well.
Same here! Every Sufjan fan I know loves Casimir Pulaski Day and overlooks John Wayne Gacy, Jr. I've never understood it.

I'd love to see him live. I'm a sucker for a big over-the-top show.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:24 PM   #23
The Male

Local Time: 10:22 AM
Quote:

Same here! Every Sufjan fan I know loves Casimir Pulaski Day and overlooks John Wayne Gacy, Jr. I've never understood it.
Add me to that list.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:45 PM   #24
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:

I give them the respect they deserve.

~MSP
Old 11-07-2007, 09:42 PM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem

after reading that article, I think I would be annoyed by him in concert. I'll stick to enjoying the records in the comfort of my own home.
just go and close your eyes. or if your at a place like the fox theater in atlanta (where i saw him last) you just look at the beautiful building / ceiling. he is awesome live, a wonderful experience, go and see it, the music will overwhelm anything that is annoying about the performance.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:21 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Big Grin

Quote:

I'd love to see him live. I'm a sucker for a big over-the-top show.
JWGjr. is my favorite song on Illinoise....and it makes me tear.

I have seen him live twice (once each on the last tours). He brings a good show!
Old 11-07-2007, 11:46 PM   #27
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener

What Zonemeister failed to mention is that it's this part that makes him cry:

"And in my best behavior
I am really just like him
Look beneath the floorboards
For the secrets I have hid"

Thinking of all the great memories he's had in his bloodstained clownsuit in the basement. He and Gacy are one, but they're not the same. Now I'm starting to tear up!
Old 11-08-2007, 04:58 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:22 PM
He'll be touring Melbourne next year, I'm not sure if I want to see him live though. His timid whispery voice works fine on the albums but I like my live singers to be a bit more dynamic.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:54 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener

zoney

mofo
Old 11-08-2007, 12:05 PM   #30
Refugee

I don't like it, but then again, I don't like The White Stripes. I liked a few tracks so far on "Illinoise", though, especially at the start of the album. Only recently listening to his stuff.

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
I don't care what his new stuff sounds like as long as he drops the pretentious long song titles. If not he can go fuck himself
I know what you mean.

Tags
sufjan stevens