Sufjan Stevens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thetitans2k

Refugee
I recently showed a friend of mine Andrew Bird's music. He told me that it was very similar to sufjan stevens. Are there any sufjan fans around here? Do you guys agree with the comparison? How should I start with his catalogue?

I'm a big Sufjan fan, but I'm unfamiliar with Andrew Bird, so I can make any comparisons. I think Illinoise or Greeting from Michigan are good starting points for Sufjan though. I prefer Michigan

You'll probably read everywhere that Illinois is where to hop in. More than likely, it's where most of us here began listening to Sufjeezy. But I think most of those who have taken the time to listen to his entire catalog extensively will agree Michigan is the superior album. Hell, I even prefer Seven Swans.

Really, there's no bad place to begin with him among those three. And I guess I could sort of see the Bird Man comparison in a few ways.

Illinoise is still far and away my favorite, but I like Seven Swans quite a bit too. I remember liking Michigan, but it's been so long since I last listened to it that I don't remember anything from it other than 'Holland'. Maybe I'll give it a listen this afternoon.

When are we going to get some new Sufjan?? Any word? Its been awhile since Illinoise came out.

When are we going to get some new Sufjan?? Any word? Its been awhile since Illinoise came out.

Seriously. that was 2005 or 2004, wasn't it?

Back to Titan's initial post, I don't really think his music is very similar to Andrew Bird's. I guess I can kinda see why someone might say that, but it's not something I ever would have thought or said.

Then again, I initially thought Illinoise sounded like Belle and Sebastian, which I don't hear at all now. :shrug:

But I have heard that his next state album will be Utah.

No wonder it's taking so long then, he probably can't think of anything to write about after the first two songs, "Man, Is This Place Boring Or What?!" and "Mormons are Jerks To Each Other". :wink:

The first two singles will be "Stockton to Malone!" and "The Continuing Stories of John Stockton's Tiny Shorts"

Back to Titan's initial post, I don't really think his music is very similar to Andrew Bird's. I guess I can kinda see why someone might say that, but it's not something I ever would have thought or said.

Then again, I initially thought Illinoise sounded like Belle and Sebastian, which I don't hear at all now. :shrug:

I told a friend that because he likes Sufjan he would probably like Andrew Bird. Which doesn't mean they're alike but when you're trying to describe someone's music to someone and taking the lazy route by looking for a comparison, I think this one makes as much sense as any.

Thanks for reminding me I need to spend a lot more time with this album. I didn't find it quite as captivating as Illinoise and didn't listen to it more than a few times. I see I'm missing out.

I'd have to pick my Sufjan faves as The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades... and John Wayne Gacy Jr., maybe the most haunting song I've ever heard.

Casimir Pulaski Day is my favorite song on Illinois, but I still say that the first Sufjan song anyone should listen to is Chicago.

Casimir Pulaski Day is my favorite song on Illinois, but I still say that the first Sufjan song anyone should listen to is Chicago.

The first Sufjan song I ever heard was The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts but it was definitely Chicago that stole my heart until I played it to death.

I absolutely HATED Illinoise the first 6 or 7 months after it had come out. One night I was driving home and 'The Seer's Tower' shuffled itself onto my stereo, and my ears were opened to their mistake. That's the tune that won me over. I like all the songs that have already been mentioned from it greatly, and also really like Decatur, which I don't think has been brought up yet.

Thanks for reminding me I need to spend a lot more time with this album. I didn't find it quite as captivating as Illinoise and didn't listen to it more than a few times. I see I'm missing out.

I listened to it again today after reading their comments, and still feel the same way. :reject: It's got some strong songs, but I'd personally still weigh the highs of both Illinoise and 7 Swans above it.

I agree with this. I pretty much love all of Illinois, though. It took a while to get into, at first I thought it had nothing on Michigan (which I still really love), but now it's probably above or equal to it for me. I really like Seven Swans too.

No wonder it's taking so long then, he probably can't think of anything to write about after the first two songs, "Man, Is This Place Boring Or What?!" and "Mormons are Jerks To Each Other".

Considering it's Sufjan we're talking about, those song titles are believable.

Also, I don't really get the Andrew Bird connection, but maybe I just need to listen to Birdy a bit more anyway.

I love Illinoise, Michigan didn't make as strong an impression but then I probably haven't spent enough time with it. I wish humans didn't have to sleep; how many more albums I'd have listened to :)

Ha! I think about that too, I feel like there isn't enough time in the day to listen to all of the music I want to.

Fantastic show! Other than the fact that it was night of the living hipsters in there, but thats hardly Sufjan's fault. Started off with Mistress Witch, which, being one of my favourites, was a great beginning. By the end of the night, he had played about 5 new songs. I really liked all but one of them. My only complaint would be that every single one of the new songs seem to meander all over the place at the end. I shit you not, they were all at LEAST 10 minutes long. The beginnings of the ones I liked were fucking awesome. In particular was one called Impossible Soul (I think). I'll have a look for a youtube link. Really beautiful for about 4 minutes, but then goes on some sort of tangent for the remainder. That being said, Sufjan did mention that the new songs were indulgent and on the long side so hopefully he trims them down somewhat for the album. They seemed more like acid jazz jam sessions toward the end than anything else anyway. Highlights of the set were Mistress Witch, John Wayne Gacy, Lakes of Canada :rockon: and a few more that I'm sure I'm forgetting (I prefer banjo playin' Sufjan to freaky deaky illinoise Sufjan). Oh, and his voice sounded AWESOME. And his backup girl not only had a beautiful voice, but was super cute too :drool: Gump, you're gonna have a great time on Monday. Especially if the fat attention whore that was in the audience tonight is absent from your show. Have fun!

Sorry, I am extremely jealous. Also, I'm angry that I thought Mistress Witch was some new song, and just now realized it's on a release I actually own.

Back
Top Bottom