Sufjan Stevens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't like much on The Avalanche, and sorta see it as a cash in, so that's probably why I didn't remember it. Nice little track though.

Fantastic show! Other than the fact that it was night of the living hipsters in there, but thats hardly Sufjan's fault. Started off with Mistress Witch, which, being one of my favourites, was a great beginning. By the end of the night, he had played about 5 new songs. I really liked all but one of them. My only complaint would be that every single one of the new songs seem to meander all over the place at the end. I shit you not, they were all at LEAST 10 minutes long. The beginnings of the ones I liked were fucking awesome. In particular was one called Impossible Soul (I think). I'll have a look for a youtube link. Really beautiful for about 4 minutes, but then goes on some sort of tangent for the remainder. That being said, Sufjan did mention that the new songs were indulgent and on the long side so hopefully he trims them down somewhat for the album. They seemed more like acid jazz jam sessions toward the end than anything else anyway. Highlights of the set were Mistress Witch, John Wayne Gacy, Lakes of Canada :rockon: and a few more that I'm sure I'm forgetting (I prefer banjo playin' Sufjan to freaky deaky illinoise Sufjan). Oh, and his voice sounded AWESOME. And his backup girl not only had a beautiful voice, but was super cute too :drool: Gump, you're gonna have a great time on Monday. Especially if the fat attention whore that was in the audience tonight is absent from your show. Have fun!

Thanks for the review, sounds like a great concert. Can't wait to hear the new songs and Mistress Witch!

Oh, and I'm hoping the hipsters will choose to go to Williamsburg rather than Bowery Ballroom. I think I may be right on this one! :lol:

Anyone planning on buying the BQE when it comes out later this month? I'm wondering if I should go for the cd/dvd combo or the limited edition vinyl... ideas?

The BQE is available as a double-disc format (CD/DVD), which includes the original 16mm/8mm film (in widescreen "triptych" display), the original motion picture soundtrack, a 40-page booklet (with extensive liner notes and photographs), and the stereoscopic image reel (playable in all View-Master® viewers).

The limited edition vinyl is available as a double gatefold and includes the soundtrack on 180-gram vinyl, a large-scale 32-page booklet with liner notes and photographs, and a black-and-white version of the 40-page Hooper Heroes comic book.

Just came back from the Sufjan gig here in NYC. It was fantastic, so much better than my already high expectations. Bryce Dessner was onstage playing guitar most of the night, making the show even more interesting (can't wait to see what comes from the Long Count project)

The setlist was great - Mistress Witch, All the Trees of the Field... (a personal favorite), Detroit, Jacksonville, Casmir Polaski (another favorite), a stripped down version of Chicago. Very surprised to hear Come on and Feel the Illinoise, which was also great (despite a few glitches as he apparently hasn't played it in a while).

The new songs are still a bit over the place - all of them have great ideas, but sometimes it's hard to know where he's going. Too Much Love and Impossible Soul were probably the two I liked the most, though they are still too "epic" and perhaps need some more direction. Some of them have the feel of the second half of You Are the Blood from the Dark Was The Night Compilation, but not as tight. He seems to be definitely moving towards more electronic sounds and distortion, but still keeping traditional melodies.

Anyway, I hope he decides to tour again soon, and hopefully go to some additional places (maybe Texas, for impy!).

I also bought the BQE vinyl at the show for $20, which I guess is a good deal.

I like Sufjan.

Illinois is an amazing album. Favorite song on it... probably the title track. Either that, or "John Wayne Gacy, Jr.". "Chicago" is a good song too, but I prefer the acoustic version that's on The Avalanche.

As for Greetings From Michigan, the only song on it that I really enjoy is "All Good Naysayers, Speak Up! Or Forever Hold Your Peace!".

Back
Top Bottom