Sufjan Stevens - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2009, 10:17 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Casimir Pulaski Day is my favorite song on Illinois, but I still say that the first Sufjan song anyone should listen to is Chicago.
The first Sufjan song I ever heard was The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts but it was definitely Chicago that stole my heart until I played it to death.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:31 AM   #17
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 03:46 AM
I absolutely HATED Illinoise the first 6 or 7 months after it had come out. One night I was driving home and 'The Seer's Tower' shuffled itself onto my stereo, and my ears were opened to their mistake. That's the tune that won me over. I like all the songs that have already been mentioned from it greatly, and also really like Decatur, which I don't think has been brought up yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
Thanks for reminding me I need to spend a lot more time with this album. I didn't find it quite as captivating as Illinoise and didn't listen to it more than a few times. I see I'm missing out.
I listened to it again today after reading their comments, and still feel the same way. It's got some strong songs, but I'd personally still weigh the highs of both Illinoise and 7 Swans above it.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:03 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Casimir Pulaski Day is my favorite song on Illinois, but I still say that the first Sufjan song anyone should listen to is Chicago.
I agree with this. I pretty much love all of Illinois, though. It took a while to get into, at first I thought it had nothing on Michigan (which I still really love), but now it's probably above or equal to it for me. I really like Seven Swans too.

Quote:
No wonder it's taking so long then, he probably can't think of anything to write about after the first two songs, "Man, Is This Place Boring Or What?!" and "Mormons are Jerks To Each Other".
Considering it's Sufjan we're talking about, those song titles are believable.

Also, I don't really get the Andrew Bird connection, but maybe I just need to listen to Birdy a bit more anyway.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:07 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:46 AM
I love Illinoise, Michigan didn't make as strong an impression but then I probably haven't spent enough time with it. I wish humans didn't have to sleep; how many more albums I'd have listened to
Old 07-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #20
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracene View Post
I love Illinoise, Michigan didn't make as strong an impression but then I probably haven't spent enough time with it. I wish humans didn't have to sleep; how many more albums I'd have listened to
Ha! I think about that too, I feel like there isn't enough time in the day to listen to all of the music I want to.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:46 AM
Seeing Sufjan tonight! w00t
Old 10-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #22
Blue Meth Addict

Friggin' Canada.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:19 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Seeing Sufjan tonight! w00t
Report back on how it goes. I'm seeing him on Monday!
Old 10-01-2009, 11:19 PM   #24
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Soofaloof. Need to give his new album a spin soon.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:07 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Fantastic show! Other than the fact that it was night of the living hipsters in there, but thats hardly Sufjan's fault. Started off with Mistress Witch, which, being one of my favourites, was a great beginning. By the end of the night, he had played about 5 new songs. I really liked all but one of them. My only complaint would be that every single one of the new songs seem to meander all over the place at the end. I shit you not, they were all at LEAST 10 minutes long. The beginnings of the ones I liked were fucking awesome. In particular was one called Impossible Soul (I think). I'll have a look for a youtube link. Really beautiful for about 4 minutes, but then goes on some sort of tangent for the remainder. That being said, Sufjan did mention that the new songs were indulgent and on the long side so hopefully he trims them down somewhat for the album. They seemed more like acid jazz jam sessions toward the end than anything else anyway. Highlights of the set were Mistress Witch, John Wayne Gacy, Lakes of Canada and a few more that I'm sure I'm forgetting (I prefer banjo playin' Sufjan to freaky deaky illinoise Sufjan). Oh, and his voice sounded AWESOME. And his backup girl not only had a beautiful voice, but was super cute too Gump, you're gonna have a great time on Monday. Especially if the fat attention whore that was in the audience tonight is absent from your show. Have fun!
Old 10-02-2009, 02:15 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Here ya go

YouTube - Sufjan Stevens - New Song "Impossible Soul" @ 400 Bar in Mpls, MN - 09/27/09
Old 10-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #27
Blue Meth Addict

FU JT

Old 10-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 10-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #29
Blue Meth Addict

Sorry, I am extremely jealous. Also, I'm angry that I thought Mistress Witch was some new song, and just now realized it's on a release I actually own.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:27 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Its funny that you say that because the same thing happened to me a while back. I first saw a performance of it on Blogotheque and searched all around to find out what it was called and where I could find the studio version. Turns out it was on The Avalanche and I had it all along.

YouTube - Sufjan Stevens - The Mistress Witch From McClure

Tags
sufjan stevens