Suede "Bloodsports" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 12:21 PM
Suede "Bloodsports"

Suede (or The London Suede for those of us in the states...so annoying) are coming back with a new album, Bloodsports. Surely somebody else on this board cares.

the first taste was this sweet, brooding tune called "Barriers". It sports a new-wavey synth/guitar line with a bassline that doesn't sound too far removed from New Order or U2, but has come classic Suede chord changes. It's got a great chorus, with a blast of wobbly guitar that is vintage Suede through and through...

Suede - Barriers (Rehearsal Room Video) - YouTube

Then came the first single, "It Starts and Ends With You". For Suede fans, this sounds like a lost gem from the "Coming Up" album, but minus some of the production techniques that mad that album sound trashy. It's a classic Suede tune. Somewhere i read that Brett described it as a string of choruses, and that's pretty spot on. Fantastic, rambling guitar playing, choruses that get bigger and bigger, some great slinky bass playing, and a great vocal performance. To say I'm excited for this album would be a massive understatement.

Suede - It Starts And Ends With You (Music Video) - YouTube

Old 02-14-2013, 03:28 AM   #2
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman View Post
Surely somebody else on this board cares.
I care. Well, they're one of those 90s bands I really enjoyed the singles of. Didn't quite get any of their albums. But that Singles disc is excellent.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
The Male

Local Time: 09:21 AM
Wait, do you mean you haven't heard any of their albums or that you don't like them? If you haven't heard them, the debut + Dog Man Star are essential listening.

I don't know why I'm in this thread, I don't really have interest in anything they released after Coming Up.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:09 AM   #4
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Wait, do you mean you haven't heard any of their albums or that you don't like them? If you haven't heard them, the debut + Dog Man Star are essential listening.

I don't know why I'm in this thread, I don't really have interest in anything they released after Coming Up.
Yea I meant that I never got around to listening to any of the albums. I have only heard the Singles disc which I absolutely love! Yes I have heard that the first 3 albums or so are really good.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
Refugee

LemonMelon is right - self titled debut and Dog Man Star are essentials.
The sound of the new singles seems to fit in somewhere between Dog Man Star and Coming Up to my ears.

They seem to have an enduring reputation as a great singles band (which is true), but Dog Man Star, in particular, works as a fantastic album from front to back.

it plays like a broadway musical. It's really worth checking out if you haven't.

And even if you're just into the singles, that there new single should scratch you where you itch, LMS.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
War Child

I will chalk some time out and listen to those videos you posted.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman View Post
They seem to have an enduring reputation as a great singles band (which is true), but Dog Man Star, in particular, works as a fantastic album from front to back.

So does Coming Up.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Refugee

Just listened to Bloodsports.

Quite satisfying - urgent, desperate, and confident at the same time. Atmospheric and primal, they rhythm section consistently builds a strong foundation for the glam guitar machines, and brett is in full control of his voice. It can proudly stand alongside the first 3 albums.

I'm hoping they tour the states - I'd be thrilled to hear any of these new tunes live, not to mention the classics.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

How did I not know about this? Those first songs you posted are pretty awesome. I'll check out the album.

Also, Coming Up is Laz's prequel trilogy of music
Old 03-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
Refugee

Snowblind
Old 03-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #11
The Male

Decided to listen to this after all.

I wish this album had followed Coming Up. Really quite good, much better than I had expected. Hit Me reminds me of Pulp, which is a very good thing. The rockers are uniformly great and I love how brief it is. Not really feeling Sabotage at the moment, which has some crappy synths (nothing in the same league as The Wild Ones or Sleeping Pills). The ballads in general aren't my favorites but there aren't any bad stretches on this album.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

I gotta get on this album. I'm really digging Barriers. I love the awkward phrasing during the verses
Old 03-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

I just wanted to heap some praise on this album. I'm still getting familiar with it, but I'm really impressed. So often with comeback albums, there's the unshakable feeling that, while it may be good, something has changed and the glory days are long gone. But with Bloodsports, it really feels like the band hasn't lost a step. This album could've been released in their heyday and it would fit in beautifully. Yet it doesn't feel dated. Yesterday I got the new Bowie, new Depeche Mode, and new Suede and I'm surprised to say that this is the one I'm most excited about.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Why is Suede listed as "The London Suede" on iTunes? Must be some bullshit trademark pissing match like "The Charlatans UK?"

I couldn't get the album artwork to match in iTunes until I changed the artist name to "The London Suede."
Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy
Why is Suede listed as "The London Suede" on iTunes? Must be some bullshit trademark pissing match like "The Charlatans UK?"

I couldn't get the album artwork to match in iTunes until I changed the artist name to "The London Suede."
Because there were already bands in the states who trademarked the names Suede and The Charlatans. Blame them