"Streets" for other bands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For Oasis it had to be Don't Look Back In Anger.

I would have to say Wonderwall, at least at the one and only Oasis show I've seen, although Don't Look Back In Anger was equally well received.

If we're talking Arcade Fire, I'd think Power Out -> Rebellion is the emotional high point of the show.

Most definitely. This is definitely the high point of the show, and I've rarely ever heard a better segue at a live concert. The only thing that tops it, for me, is Please ->Streets (although I would have preferred to have witnessed Running to Stand Still -> Streets live).

As the OP said, I think that Wake Up would also fit the criteria.

I think it's not an uncommon opinion around here, Streets being a bit underwhelming on the Vertigo tour.

It's better this tour. :up:

I think the return of the red screen, versus the African flags or whatever, also has something to do with this.

Agreed, Ms. Stem.

By the way, speaking of Streets, Arcade Fire, and Wake Up it still gives me chills to think about Arcade Fire coming on stage to Streets as a way to acknowledge U2 using Wake Up to start off their Vertigo shows. That was a great moment.

i was really, really unimpressed with WTSHNN at the u2 show i went to a few years back. i've seen i don't know how many videos, hell even on live audio recordings, you KNOW that when that song starts up it's about to be a big deal. and it's been one of those things where i've watched/heard live versions of it, and thought damn, i need to see that band live.

it's nothing more than a public service announcement now. or it was on the bomb album tour. blending it into "one" with all the save africa/aids/red this that and the other thing/political bono bullshit speech, completely killed what i expected to be the highlight of the show. now, i was pretty well on my way to losing any interest in u2 and mainly went to that show because i'd never seen the band live before and still considered them to be one of those bands i should see live at least once. and kind of sick of anything off JT from complete overplayedness. but i still had some pretty high expectations for that song live, and was actually even looking forward to it.

had the band just played the fucking song, it would have been fine. would it have been the most amazing thing i've ever heard? who knows. probably not. but it wouldn't have been the steaming pile of shit that they turned it into had bono not been talking for half the intro. and don't get me started on flashing all the "text such and such to this number to sAvE tHe wOrLd1!111!!!!!1111!!!!" crap over the tv screens.

they fucked up streets on vertigo. i didn't think it was possible to do, but i suppose it proves that you can accomplish anything if you really put your mind to it.

it's been fixed.

they fucked up streets on vertigo. i didn't think it was possible to do, but i suppose it proves that you can accomplish anything if you really put your mind to it.

it's been fixed.

glad to hear it. :up:

no, really. that's...comforting. yeah, i guess comforting is the best way to describe it.

i wish i could say "what's the frequency kenneth" tore the roof off the place at the rem show i went to a few years back. the band kicked ass on it, i was just really disappointed in the crowd. i was pretty disappointed in the crowd in general at that show, though. nothing like being the only one in the entire section of seating that's standing (til i made my brother get up, and then the people behind us told us both to sit down). singing along and dancing in your seat is incredibly unsatisfying :lol: :(

For Radiohead, I'd say Let Down.

And Sufjan's Impossible Soul, though not iconic, definitely had the Streets feel.

It's tough to say for Radiohead since they're setlists aren't really built for that huge moment. There have been many shows last tour where Paranoid Android, Karma Police, and Fake Plastic Trees weren't even played. Then again, it's a Radiohead show so I'll be good with anything they play.

Here's another couple I thought of:

Muse - Knights of Cydonia
The Killers - All These Things That I've Done or When You Were Young

The Killers put a lot into those two tracks and the crowd response is pretty great, agreed.

Muse didn't even play Knights when they opened for U2 and the other time I saw them they opened with it, so I'm not saying it's not their streets, but I don't think they quite realize it is.

Though they are no longer active, Pink Floyd had "Comfortably Numb." I believe that it is still the pièce de résistance for both Gilmour and Waters as well.

As for Radiohead, "Idioteque" seemed to get the most enthusiastic response at my show. But I also do not think that they have a definitive live song.

Unfortunately, that lineup doesn't really excite me at all. I'd probably still watch some of it if we had a little group together making simultaneously snarky and thoughtful running commentary.

Night 2 is MUCH better.

Phoenix, Vampire Weekend, Brandon Flowers, The Black Keys, The Temper Trap, Neon Trees, Florence & the Machine, Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros and Broken Bells.

It's a great lineup and I need to get tix.

That's night two's line-up? :hyper:!

And Jesus, KROQ loves the Killers. I think they've only not been at one of these in some form or fashion twice in the last 7 years.

not 100% the same thing, but the dropkick murphys used to always do skinhead on the mbta to end the set, everyone piled on stage to sing along in utter chaos and it was a good time. sure, there was the time i got thoroughly trampled at the warped tour, or the time ken casey jumped off the drum set and kicked me in the face, or the time i puked (i was sick, should have stayed home)...but otherwise, that was a perfect way to end the show for the punk rock unity cheesiness factor alone. too bad they don't really do that so much anymore.

Too bad know it's all about 'Shipping up to Boston' for the crowd of Departed-soundtrack-listening bandwagoners making up too much of the audience in recent years.

Someone earlier mentioned 'Yellow Ledbetter' for PJ, I'd say with their variety and the rareness of some of their most powerful/popular songs it'd be impossible to choose a single song for them, but if you've ever been to a show where they played 'Jeremy', there's no question.

And on that note, "Meet Me in the Basement" has become kind of a big thing for Broken Social Scene.

You don't understand. Kevin Drew had to go and be a jerk about it. "This next song has become sort of an anthem of ours." and I fucking flipped, because they hadn't been playing Anthems lately, so I'm all pumped ready for them to fucking bring it and then..."Meet Me in the Basement" began :(.

The other live band I know the most about is PJ, and in terms of songs that are part of the band's "live identity" you've got Even Flow, Alive, and Yellow Ledbetter. All three could fit the criteria. Even Flow is their most played live song by far, they play it every night. Alive on recent tours has become a huge, late set cathartic song for both Eddie and the audience. And Yellow Ledbetter has a big fan connection, as they almost always play it as the final song of the night, with the house lights up, and it ends with the band and the crowd staring at McCready alone on stage ripping some sick guitar solo.

i think with PJ and Radiohead they don't have a "Streets" because they vary their sets. with the '2 you know Streets is a lock every night. when i saw Pearl Jam i would said that Black was probably the emotional centrepiece... it didn't exactly have the crowd in awe like Alive (which is phenomenal live) but it was almost draining, in a way.

It is pretty rare for a band to have a song that is the combination of 'biggest hit' (creating biggest-reaction-of-the-night casual punter crowd excitement with just the sound of its opening notes or chords) that also goes onto being a/the real highlight of the gig.

this is a good point.

Though they are no longer active, Pink Floyd had "Comfortably Numb." I believe that it is still the pièce de résistance for both Gilmour and Waters as well.

good call. i think this would be the case even seeing PF tribute bands.

And on that note, "Meet Me in the Basement" has become kind of a big thing for Broken Social Scene.

that it has... it's awesome live (and a better song than Anthems if you ask me).

Lisa Lobsinger is soooooooo hot

Coldplay - Yellow (surely)

good call.

all in all though i don't think there's a live band on the planet who have a song that does what Streets does... and for all the criticism of Vertigo Streets... it was still truly an out-of-body moment for me, speech and slogans or not.

this might belong in the unpopular opinion thread, but i find bss to be incredibly boring.

Back
Top Bottom