"Streets" for other bands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When U2 plays Streets, it changes the temperature in the room. It might be a bad show, but it's always a good performance of at least one song.

The only other examples of this I can think of are:

Metallica, "One": They make this song an experience, every single night. It's always intense (much more intense than the recorded version), and the pyro always sets the tone. It brings the house down every single time. That's why I was disappointed when, on the World Magnetic tour, they played the song so early in the set (many times it was the 5th song played). It was hard to recover after that, that song is such a showstopper.

Robbie Williams, "Let Me Entertain You": So he opens with this one, so it might be cheating. The energy level is always up for the first song of the show. But I've never seen Robbie give this song anything less than 100% of himself. This song always slays.

And for those saying Bruce's equivalent of Streets is Born to Run, I disagree. Born to Run might be his most popular song, but when it comes to the live song that gets everyone going, it's gotta be Rosalita. The place erupts when he plays that.

Aerosmith: Dream On
The Rolling Stones: Satisfaction... I was going with Sympathy for the Devil, but that's more like their Bad.
Bruce Springsteen: Not familiar with his sets, however I would guess Born to Run.
Blur: The Universal, I would say.
Bob Dylan: Probably Like a Rolling Stone, but there's The Times They Are a-Changin' too and A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
Coldplay: Fix You, and it manages to be almost, if not as awesome as U2 with Streets.
Doves: Words, I would say.
Elbow: Never seen a show, but if they perform One Day Like This as it is on the album... it would even surpass Streets to me.
Kasabian: L.S.F. (Lost Souls Forever)
R.E.M.: Everybody Hurts
The Verve: Bitter Sweet Symphony
The Killers: All These Things That I've Done
Oasis: Don't Look Back In Anger, or Rock 'n' Roll Star, but the latter is more to their Elevation

That's what I can remember for now.

Doves has to be "There Goes the Fear" come on. I would argue against "Everybody Hurts" for R.E.M. as well, I don't think they really have a "Streets" having stopped performing "It's the End of the World As...".

I'd suggest Man On the Moon. That seems to go over big, even though I'm sick to death of it.

Nothing is cool ..... COOOO-WOLLLLLLLLL!

Ugh. Can it, Stipe.

I know Fix You is etc etc etc, but I saw a live clip from some outdoor concert (one of those British festivals, maybe) where Chris Martin left the stage and just started running around the place during the song, with a ton of fans following him. It was pretty cool; it looked like he had this human wave following him.

Fix You is etc etc etc, but based on crowd reaction I've seen/heard in clips, it belongs on this list.

corianderstem said:
I know Fix You is etc etc etc, but I saw a live clip from some outdoor concert (one of those British festivals, maybe) where Chris Martin left the stage and just started running around the place during the song, with a ton of fans following him. It was pretty cool; it looked like he had this human wave following him.

that was actually from one of the two simultaneous bushfire relief concerts we had in Melbourne and Sydney in 09... they played in Sydney and I was at Melbourne but still it was a really cool moment. Security flipped their shit

Fix You is a horrid song.

Meh, I love it.

Doves has to be "There Goes the Fear" come on. I would argue against "Everybody Hurts" for R.E.M. as well, I don't think they really have a "Streets" having stopped performing "It's the End of the World As...".

It could be There Goes the Fear. Sadly, I've only listened them live, and Words seems to get the "big Streets reaction". And R.E.M., yeah they don't really have just one. But it looks, to me, that the two biggest contenders are Man on the Moon and Everybody Hurts. Hard to say which one is bigger live, but I'll still go with Everybody.

Yellow is Coldplay's, c'mon people!

Nah, its stop was taken by Clocks and then Fix You took Clock's. It's an huge anthem, especially when they are on a stadium.

First band that came to mind, just cause they were on the stereo, Nine Inch Nails - Head Like a Hole.

What about Stones - Satisfaction or Gimme Shelter?

Meh, I love it.

It could be There Goes the Fear. Sadly, I've only listened them live, and Words seems to get the "big Streets reaction". And R.E.M., yeah they don't really have just one. But it looks, to me, that the two biggest contenders are Man on the Moon and Everybody Hurts. Hard to say which one is bigger live, but I'll still go with Everybody.

Nah, its stop was taken by Clocks and then Fix You took Clock's. It's an huge anthem, especially when they are on a stadium.

I've seen Doves live, they save There Goes the Fear for last and it's just an exuberant jam, I love Words, but I don't think it even gets played every time. I've seen Coldplay just once, and Yellow definitely got the biggest response, and they held it for a similar position in the set that U2 uses Streets in, so :shrug:.

Fix You is a horrid song.

Plenty of shitty bands have horrid songs as their anthem because they have nothing better to work with.

Never been to a Coldplay gig, but man, I would hope they have songs that go over better than that one.

What is it then that makes Streets live so good? It is the intro. I can't name another song that has an intro like that. Therefore I can't offer anything for this thread. It is entirely down to the remarkable intro.

Back
Top Bottom