"Streets" for other bands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't worship at the alter of BSS, so I'll allow you to have a differing opinion from me, but others around here might not be so kind!

Not really the point. If we were going purely by quality of performance, Ultraviolet would be U2's classic, not Streets, considering it hasn't gone stale like Streets has, and the audience reception has been great. Hell, City of Blinding Lights too.

By stats alone, The Cure's would be A Forest, as we were discussing earlier. That song has always been a staple, and is currently their most played song by a wide margin.

LemonMelon, even around these grumbly parts, you're the first person I've seen that thinks Streets has gone stale. Even if you feel that way, I thought the aim of the thread was the regular moment in the setlist that continues to define the band, casuals don't necessarily know UV and the band have not regularly played it over the years. COBL might be on it's way to being that kind of moment (hell it was clearly composed to be the latter day streets) but it's far too young at this point.

LemonMelon, even around these grumbly parts, you're the first person I've seen that thinks Streets has gone stale. Even if you feel that way, I thought the aim of the thread was the regular moment in the setlist that continues to define the band, casuals don't necessarily know UV and the band have not regularly played it over the years. COBL might be on it's way to being that kind of moment (hell it was clearly composed to be the latter day streets) but it's far too young at this point.

yeah, i think i would have to agree. and the part about cobl, hmm. good point...maybe that might be part of the reason it's the only song on that album i actually like.

ooh, i think that means it's my turn to say it! friggin cobbler!

I like hearing the song, never complain when it's played, but yeah, I can't deny there are a couple dozen U2 songs I would rather hear, UV included. Plus, it doesn't help that I have never considered Streets their best song. The thing is, Streets is still magic for a lot of people, so, objectively speaking, I don't think this thread is out of line.

For me, the one U2 song that is always amazing no matter what is Until The End of the World. Can't get enough of it.

Until the End of the World is the most encapsulating LIVE song on AB. The studio version sucks, though. The whole outro (the best part of the song) is ruined on the album.

Until the End of the World is the most encapsulating LIVE song on AB. The studio version sucks, though. The whole outro (the best part of the song) is ruined on the album.
see i don't really agree, and that's because i'm not an audiophile (i can't tell the difference between these 180g vinyl records and a used record/cd rip/torrent in some cases) and i don't have an ear for production. that's why i always feel left out when people talk about production, which sucks when the convo is about hip hop, because production is a big of that genre, which i love to death.

see i don't really agree, and that's because i'm not an audiophile (i can't tell the difference between these 180g vinyl records and a used record/cd rip/torrent in some cases) and i don't have an ear for production. that's why i always feel left out when people talk about production, which sucks when the convo is about hip hop, because production is a big of that genre, which i love to death.
I'm not talking about the difference between 180 and 320 right now. I mean like the whole outro is Bono's vocals and one riff instead of the whole solo Edge should be playing. It's the exact same problem with the album version of Love Is Blindness: Bono overpowers what should be an Edge section of the song where he should be playing a couple awesome parts.

Well, what you're talking about here is more fidelity than production in the sense that we often talk about it. If you can tell the difference between music that exudes warmth and the sort that feels "cold," you probably could join in most conversations. Also, the way that instruments are mixed can influence the feel of the music, making them feel cramped/claustrophobic, or given the separation necessary to an anthemic feel. That's some of the jargon that gets chucked around, anyway.

i think i've got the mixing stuff down pat... but yeah i can't tell the difference between a 180g vinyl and another source (that's fidelity? not production?)

one question, this may seem ignorant - why is production such a big factor in hip hop? am i to understand that every beat, every sample, every piece of music is a direct result of the producers but the people that are remembered are the rappers who come over the top?

i could be wrong because i don't really give 2 shits about 99.9% of hip hop, but it's always seemed to me it's like with a rock band you've got your singer + the band. since there's not really a "band" per se, the music accompanying the main lyrics is produced by some people messing with various beat-making devices/samples/loops/whatever else gets thrown into the mix in whatever way it gets mixed. i'm pretty bad with technical jargon myself, i can tell you in layman's terms why i like, dislike, or objectively find something interesting that could usually be translated into smart-people-talk, but i haven't got the vocabulary for it myself (like the warm vs cold sound thing, i get that. and i have a particular aversion for things with the vocals put up too prominently over the rest of the music. but that's kind of another story altogether). not necessarily seeing/recognizing in the videos or on stage or wherever, or casual fans who don't really get into the details of the music aside from "i heard it on the radio and i liked it," they just know the face/guy with his name on the cover of the album because he's the one delivering the lines. it's like a more dramatic version of the random guy you might catch singing along to WOWY at a show, but when they play "out of control" he's in the dark because he knows bonehead and is intently watching him sing along, is dimly aware of manboobs and clayton holding down the rhythm section (sorry, i'm not up on my shuttlecockian lingo either and don't know what i'm actually supposed to be calling the band) but they could be random guys brought out for the tour rather than original band members for all he knows/cares.

unless you're talking about dr dre or someone who produces shit for everyone, their mother, their brother, and the guy who walked their uncle's dog once. that's kind of hard to go unnoticed.

however, i could be totally wrong. i'm not even 100% sure i finished making my point cos it got a little rambly and long-winded. this is why i should have just gone to bed when i got home. but nooooo, no, i had to come here and try to talk to you guys. what i was trying to say is it seems to me like it's 1) partly the way people take in music, a lot of people seem to start with the singer/lyrics/melodies in pop music are designed to be catchy and something to sing along with, rock anthems are the same way and 2) it's an image thing. hip hop seems to be marketed not as a whole "band" (or perhaps ensemble might be a more fitting word?) project, but as one dude (the rapper) or one dude and his posse of rappers, either way, the guys doing the actual talking.

I actually think that it's in the hip hop world that producers get the most attention/credit, I mean in comparison to other genres not that they get more attention than the MCs. This is likely because of what others have said, because the conventions of the genre can rely less on the star as creator than in creative rock music, which really demands unique writers in the band to achieve critical acclaim. After all it was with acclaim from production that a lot of today's artists got the opportunity to begin recording their own music, just look at Kanye West's career for example, and that production talent is what has really served him as a recording artist too, that he's really involved and using his own sampling/musical ideas is what makes him stand out.

The weirdest has to be pop music, where for the most part the star is not the creative force at all, and yet it's all very hush hush in the public about the people behind the hits. The average person has no idea their favorite popstar can't even write/play the simple songs they release to radio.

yeah i realised after i logged off that producers get more credit in hip hop than anywhere else, so what i said didn't really make sense.

i guess i just don't know enough and would really like to know more about production in hip hop as compared to rock.

haha, i don't know enough about hip hop clearly to have even known that.

nor do i care.

for Oasis it has to be Wonderwall. Dont Look Back in Anger, Rock and Roll Star and Live Forever

Oasis were cocky enough to drop Live Forever on their last tour! Amazing. But then they do have a ton of top tunes to choose from

Somebody mentioned Dave Matthews Band earlier:

DMB have 3 songs that I consider to be their signature live songs: "Ants Marching", "Trippin' Billies" and "Two Step". They close the shows a lot of times with these, but they've also been known to open shows as well. I saw them last summer, and "Two Step" got so intense at the end I thought my head was going to explode! Then, they segued right into "Ants Marching", and the place just went into orbit. That was a great show.

DMB never play the same set twice, it seems. Sometimes this leads to some great, unpredictable concerts (much unlike U2, where you usually always know what's coming). On the flip side, I've seen DMB do 2 shows that were just awful, heavy on new (weaker) material, and it never seemed to hit any kind of stride.

Back
Top Bottom