Still awaiting comment from a fainted The_Sad_Punk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Neon Indian is back.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-13%20at%203.01.30%20PM.png

Vega Intl. Night School:
01 Hit Parade
02 Annie
03 Street Level
04 Smut!
05 Bozo
06 The Glitzy Hive
07 Dear Skorpio Magazine
08 Slumlord
09 Slumlord’s Re-Lease
10 Techno Clique
11 Baby’s Eyes
12 C’est La Vie (say the casualties!)
13 61 Cygni ave.
14 News From the Sun (live bootleg)

Never heard this before. But its the reason I tend to stray around this part of the forum. :love:
Do any of you have any recs from his discography ?

Never heard this before. But its the reason I tend to stray around this part of the forum. :love:
Do any of you have any recs from his discography ?

He's only got two full albums under Neon Indian, both are great, also has a few other singles released here and there, my favourite is Sleep Paralysist. :heart:

Reactions?

I can barely recall a note. It's the first album this year I've been really pumped for that's disappointed me. The fact he's not really making chillwave any more doesn't help.

Stunned by the really good score on RYM. Loaded it up and expected to see it somewhere around 2.5 and it's at 3.55, well ahead of either previous album.

I liked this thing a hell of a lot. Annie is one of the songs of the year - definitely a great summer jam when it came out - and there is a bit of funk permeating the thing that should get him extracted from the whole "chillwave is dead" bullshit mentality if the reviews do the album justice.

What's up, guys! How ARE you. Hello and welcome, as I am here for a review.

I was initially terrified to even listen to this album, because I had built it up so much in my head over the past four years, I had no idea what to expect, I was afraid that it would suck, that it would be hated by everyone for being too 2k9, that every review would just be "chillwave is dead;' airbrushed directly onto a screen. When Stereogum had a thing about The Glitzy Hive a week before the album was released, they were like "well ummmm its really 2k9 lol" and I was freaking, man! Worrying about your favourite band's relevance is an unfamiliar feeling on this forum, the sensations were new and overpowering. And then the album started streaming, and... I didn't like it! I couldn't remember a bar, like Ax. Maybe it was because I was listening to it on my laptop's speakers, so it sounded like a wax cylinder recording being played on a Commodore 64, but I felt flat and afraid. And then, finally, it all sunk in.

:heart::heart:this album is fUCKING GREAT

& fuck stereogpum.
:hug::heart::larry:

Seriously, this album is so much more dense and conceptual than his earlier stuff, I'm just absolutely rapt. Everything about it is absolutely wonderful once all the layers in the songs sink in. It's also absolutely thematically perfect for this stage of my life, and god, the tunes man! Dear Skorpio Magazine, Smut!, News From the Sun, C'est La Vie, The Glitzy Hive. They're all fucking great. I loved Annie and Slumlord, but was deeply afraid they would be the only standouts. But I love every damn track, I've had the album on almost nonstop for the past month and am still not inclined to stop. I legit think it is equal to To Pimp A Butterfly on the ol ultrafav, and it may in fact be better because it does not end with Alan Palomo speaking to the spirit of Giorgio Moroder.

This thread inspired me to give them a try. I don't know why I haven't yet. Most likely because I've been fearful of terrorism lately.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I may have to relisten to this now. I haven't returned to it after that empty feeling of the first day it came out.

Plus he's finally announced a Melbourne gig. At the NGV of all places!

NGV's a bit of an unusual venue for music, I saw Cibo Matto there last year. Most people seemed to be there primarily for the fashion stuff, so had no problems finding a good spot at the last minute.

I may have to relisten to this now. I haven't returned to it after that empty feeling of the first day it came out.

Plus he's finally announced a Melbourne gig. At the NGV of all places!

You absolutely should! I won't say there's anything directly as chill of the wave as his earlier stuff, although Glitzy Hive is kinda like a chillwave song that you can play at a party that has drugs other than weed and trips. But there's definitely huge rewards to listening to it again.

His first show here is in Adelaide, which makes me :cute:, at a venue that hasn't even opened yet, which I'm excited about... I'm going with one of my mates who's also big into Toro. Would love to go to the NGV show. Maybe I should consider? He did a show at MOMA a few years ago that would have been fucking amazing.

Last edited:
I have listened to it now. I liked. It's fun as hell. chillwave ded etc, but yeah great stuff. A list of artists I thought of while listening to it: MJ, Daft Punk, Peter Gabriel, Animal Collective, Prince...

The bit in Annie towards the end where it drops filthy is fucking sick. Dear Skorpio Magazine another banger.

So glad you dug, dude! Have you listened to his other albums yet??? That drop in Annie is his bread and butter. :heart::heart::heart:

Damn, we are going to have a NIGHT.

Back
Top Bottom