Stereotypes of Fans - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 01:34 AM
Stereotypes of Fans

Every solo artist's or band's fans pick up a stereotype. So I'm curious. Have any of these stereotypes rang true or were way off? Where do you think they come from as well?

Personally, I'd always heard that Tori Amos fans were some of the most obsessive and that at shows you could hear a pin drop during a song. Um, yeah. The obsessive part was true but the pin drop part couldn't be further from the truth. The crowd wouldn't shut up. I did some looking and this seems to be the case for her concerts everywhere. Where this stereotype came from is beyond me.

I had also heard that U2 fans were the some of the kindest fans and people you'll meet. Then I came here. I can sort of understand where this might come from as there are tons of great people here and U2's music promotes understanding.

What about you?

Old 09-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
The Male

Local Time: 10:34 PM
I'm going to investigate further into the "Oasis fans are all drunken, football-playing meatheads" stereotype and get back to you.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
Personally, I'd always heard that Tori Amos fans were some of the most obsessive and that at shows you could hear a pin drop during a song.
Well, to be fair, some of her shows I've seen were like that, particularly the first few times I saw her.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Well, to be fair, some of her shows I've seen were like that, particularly the first few times I saw her.
Yeah, from what I've read it seems to be a recent trend in the last few tours.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I'm going to investigate further into the "Oasis fans are all drunken, football-playing meatheads" stereotype and get back to you.
I'm not ALWAYS drunk, and I have hair.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:31 AM   #6
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Quote:
I had also heard that U2 fans were the some of the kindest fans and people you'll meet. Then I came here. I can sort of understand where this might come from as there are tons of great people here and U2's music promotes understanding.

What about you?
There are some people here who are just here to stir up trouble and troll the threads, they don't really care about U2. Then there are those who are the social butterflies who need to be popular and well liked and that's more important to them than their U2 fandom. I personally have found the "older" folks here to be the "real and true die hard U2 fans" who share the same qualities of a typical U2 fan which is supporting the causes the band or Bono promotes, those in tune with politics and current world events, those fans who want to change the world for the better. These fans know the words to ALL U2's songs but don't spend endless hours arguing about their meanings. These fans have friends all over the country and world who they met at U2 shows and events and they keep in touch. U2 fans are compassionate, caring, intelligent, well read, politically outspoken. U2 shows to them are like a church service. They will see more than one or two shows a tour. This is JMHO.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:21 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carek1230 View Post
U2 shows to them are like a church service.
I'm an atheist, dunno where that puts me?

Old 09-02-2008, 02:50 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyedgirl View Post
I'm an atheist, dunno where that puts me?

Well, duh, any mention of the Church should get you thinking impure thoughts about MWP.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:28 AM   #9
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carek1230 View Post
Then there are those who are the social butterflies who need to be popular and well liked and that's more important to them than their U2 fandom. I personally have found the "older" folks here to be the "real and true die hard U2 fans" who share the same qualities of a typical U2 fan which is supporting the causes the band or Bono promotes, those in tune with politics and current world events, those fans who want to change the world for the better. These fans know the words to ALL U2's songs but don't spend endless hours arguing about their meanings. These fans have friends all over the country and world who they met at U2 shows and events and they keep in touch. U2 fans are compassionate, caring, intelligent, well read, politically outspoken. U2 shows to them are like a church service. They will see more than one or two shows a tour. This is JMHO.
i exhibit none of the qualities you mentioned. so that means i'm not u2 fan material. what the hell am i gonna do with all this u2 stuff i have?
GARAGE SALE!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2008, 04:02 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
Well, duh, any mention of the Church should get you thinking impure thoughts about MWP.
Yeah, that's more my kind of Church....
Old 09-02-2008, 08:50 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I heard that all Weezer fans wear sweaters and worship at the church of Rivers Combover. Of course, I could be mistaken, I mean I'm only the guy from Weezer, you know, that one guy in all the videos, the one at the back.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:57 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 07:34 AM
well, if Im getting the vibe of the question correctly - everytime I see old or new footage of Michael Jackson fans at his concerts, there appears to be hundreds of them crying in a serious hysterical state, and fainting and stuff!

does any other band/artist do this to people?

doubt it!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

What's the stereotype of a Nickelback fan I wonder?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 07:34 AM
shabby hair, twangy jeans, arched back attitude and swaying voice.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:11 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:34 PM
Quote:
Personally, I'd always heard that Tori Amos fans were some of the most obsessive and that at shows you could hear a pin drop during a song. Um, yeah. The obsessive part was true but the pin drop part couldn't be further from the truth. The crowd wouldn't shut up. I did some looking and this seems to be the case for her concerts everywhere. Where this stereotype came from is beyond me.
I've seen a ton of shows (that's the obsessive part) and they were all the hear-a-pin-drop variety, with no more shouting out between songs than I've heard at any other show.