Stereotypes of Fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can we please get back on this topic. Not that this is a very positive topic to begin with.

Every solo artist's or band's fans pick up a stereotype. So I'm curious. Have any of these stereotypes rang true or were way off? Where do you think they come from as well?

Personally, I'd always heard that Tori Amos fans were some of the most obsessive and that at shows you could hear a pin drop during a song. Um, yeah. :lol: The obsessive part was true but the pin drop part couldn't be further from the truth. The crowd wouldn't shut up. I did some looking and this seems to be the case for her concerts everywhere. Where this stereotype came from is beyond me. :shrug:

:hmm:

I will go out on a limb and say that not all fans of Streisand are gay men.

There. And we're back on topic. ;)

Can we please get back on this topic. Not that this is a very positive topic to begin with.

Hey, here's a positive -- Church fans are known to have absolutely impeccable musical taste. And it true! :D

...of course some of them (not me :uhoh: ) are also batshit crazy, but you can't have everything. :)

There are a lot of negative stereotypes that I've run into involving people who listen to modern pop country music. They get a bad rap. I love a lot of that stuff.

I hate it when I meet somebody or hear somebody who says "I listen to everything except Country"

There's too many of those people around, and they need to open their minds up a little bit.

There are a lot of negative stereotypes that I've run into involving people who listen to modern pop country music. They get a bad rap. I love a lot of that stuff.

I hate it when I meet somebody or hear somebody who says "I listen to everything except Country"

There's too many of those people around, and they need to open their minds up a little bit.

60's and 70's country is awesome. Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson...:drool: And, of course, the early greats like Patsy Cline, Tammy Wynette, and Hank Williams.

:up: I have friends in the country music business and have enjoyed some free concerts like The Judds. I like a lot of alternative country stuff but martha & I were just talking about how country music singers can SING.

60's and 70's country is awesome. Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson...:drool: And, of course, the early greats like Patsy Cline, Tammy Wynette, and Hank Williams.

:yes:

But in terms of more modern country pop, I used to have a soft spot for ol' Garth.

What if I've given country a very fair shake, and, well, still do not like it? Can I then say that I don't listen to it? Or do I need to keep that a secret?

True, but at least I'm not supporting the post-Garth Brooks world of country. :barf:

I'm just kidding, but seriously, there was once a country infomercial where the announcer listed the names in almost the SAME exact order. (I don't know WHY I remember that, probably for the same reason I can tell you the order of songs on Buzz Ballads :banghead: )

I'm just kidding, but seriously, there was once a country infomercial where the announcer listed the names in almost the SAME exact order. (I don't know WHY I remember that, probably for the same reason I can tell you the order of songs on Buzz Ballads :banghead: )

When I was really little there used to be a commercial hawking this 80's hits compilation, and every time I hear some of the songs from it (The Safety Dance, She Drives Me Crazy, etc.) I immediately hear other songs from that commercial in my head. It's pretty freaky.

When I was really little there used to be a commercial hawking this 80's hits compilation, and every time I hear some of the songs from it (The Safety Dance, She Drives Me Crazy, etc.) I immediately hear other songs from that commercial in my head. It's pretty freaky.

Sometimes I can NOT figure out why Bad English should follow Mr. Mister, then I remember it's from Monster Jams :sad:

What if I've given country a very fair shake, and, well, still do not like it? Can I then say that I don't listen to it? Or do I need to keep that a secret?

No, you're cool. I'm talking about the people I've come across who actually look down on someone if they listen to country and act as if someone is a low and unworthy lifeform for listening to country music. I guess some think that the country music genre is "trashy" I guess. Those are the people I'm talking about. That shit angers me.

No, you're cool. I'm talking about the people I've come across who actually look down on someone if they listen to country and act as if someone is a low and unworthy lifeform for listening to country music. I guess some think that the country music genre is "trashy" I guess. Those are the people I'm talking about. That shit angers me.

I think there's a couple of songs by Brad Paisley that I like. His lyrics are amusing and he's a decent guitar player. Otherwise, meh on contemporary country music. A Dixie Chicks song is the equivalent of being jabbed in the eye every 30 seconds with a jagged metal rod for a month straight.

Brad Paisley is the shit. He's one of the best goin in modern country right now. His music videos are usually really funny, too. A few of them have been directed by Jason Alexander and have featured the comic talents of one Bill Shatner.

Does CMT show videos anymore? I think it became the redneck channel a while back, but there are a lot of great country videos out there, so I used to pop it on occasionally.

BTW, Jerry Reed died yesterday. RIP to a damn good guitar player.

Yeah, CMT shows videos still. But, like MTV, it has been slightly overrun by reality shows and the like.

There is a weekly top 20 videos countdown that they do. I think that's probably the best place to catch videos, other than in the middle of the night.

They also do the occasional VH1-style Top 100 Country Videos of the 80's, 90's, All-Time etc.

Well here's my 2 cents if you want it. If you don't, I'm sorry, it's not returnable :tongue:

I have made many many friends worldwide thanks to my following of U2. Not one single one of them fully fits Careks description. Each of them may show one or two (and maybe more traits) and others show absolutely NONE of them. But you know what? We all really enjoy the music, and the atmosphere it creates. I've had some interesting discussions over interpretations, but that's not something that's reserved exclusively for U2, but many other things and interests in my life. If I were to line up all the U2 fan friends I have made, I don't think I could visually pinpoint any one of them as being a stereotypical fan. They all bring their own individual flair and personality to the table, there is 'no colour to their flags'. I've learnt from some of the older fans, and my mind has been opened by some of the younger fans. That's what I love about the 'clique' (click :huh: ??) that U2 fans are in. I think personal opinion can sometimes be swayed by personal experience and preference, and sometimes that can leave people to miss the bigger picture.

Ok, I'll shut up now :tongue:

Speaking of stereotypes, the part of NZ I live in has a pocket infested with wannable 'gangsta's' who spend all their time emulating the big American Gangsta Rappers...

Last edited:
That's what I love about the 'clique' (click :huh: ??)

:lol:

That was a nice post. The whole thing, I mean. :up:

Stereotype:

Radiohead fans are all stoners.
Radiohead fans are good at geometry. (Ok, I made that one up)
Radiohead fans wear items with a diagonal strap across the chest.

Back
Top Bottom