Stereotypes of Fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Screwtape2

Blue Crack Addict
Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Dr
Every solo artist's or band's fans pick up a stereotype. So I'm curious. Have any of these stereotypes rang true or were way off? Where do you think they come from as well?

Personally, I'd always heard that Tori Amos fans were some of the most obsessive and that at shows you could hear a pin drop during a song. Um, yeah. :lol: The obsessive part was true but the pin drop part couldn't be further from the truth. The crowd wouldn't shut up. I did some looking and this seems to be the case for her concerts everywhere. Where this stereotype came from is beyond me. :shrug:

I had also heard that U2 fans were the some of the kindest fans and people you'll meet. Then I came here. :lmao: I can sort of understand where this might come from as there are tons of great people here and U2's music promotes understanding.

What about you?

I'm going to investigate further into the "Oasis fans are all drunken, football-playing meatheads" stereotype and get back to you.

Personally, I'd always heard that Tori Amos fans were some of the most obsessive and that at shows you could hear a pin drop during a song.

Well, to be fair, some of her shows I've seen were like that, particularly the first few times I saw her.

I had also heard that U2 fans were the some of the kindest fans and people you'll meet. Then I came here. :lmao: I can sort of understand where this might come from as there are tons of great people here and U2's music promotes understanding.

What about you?

:up: There are some people here who are just here to stir up trouble and troll the threads, they don't really care about U2. Then there are those who are the social butterflies who need to be popular and well liked and that's more important to them than their U2 fandom. I personally have found the "older" folks here to be the "real and true die hard U2 fans" who share the same qualities of a typical U2 fan which is supporting the causes the band or Bono promotes, those in tune with politics and current world events, those fans who want to change the world for the better. These fans know the words to ALL U2's songs but don't spend endless hours arguing about their meanings. These fans have friends all over the country and world who they met at U2 shows and events and they keep in touch. U2 fans are compassionate, caring, intelligent, well read, politically outspoken. U2 shows to them are like a church service. They will see more than one or two shows a tour. This is JMHO.

Then there are those who are the social butterflies who need to be popular and well liked and that's more important to them than their U2 fandom. I personally have found the "older" folks here to be the "real and true die hard U2 fans" who share the same qualities of a typical U2 fan which is supporting the causes the band or Bono promotes, those in tune with politics and current world events, those fans who want to change the world for the better. These fans know the words to ALL U2's songs but don't spend endless hours arguing about their meanings. These fans have friends all over the country and world who they met at U2 shows and events and they keep in touch. U2 fans are compassionate, caring, intelligent, well read, politically outspoken. U2 shows to them are like a church service. They will see more than one or two shows a tour. This is JMHO.

i exhibit none of the qualities you mentioned. so that means i'm not u2 fan material. what the hell am i gonna do with all this u2 stuff i have?
GARAGE SALE!!!!!!!!!:applaud::applaud:

I heard that all Weezer fans wear sweaters and worship at the church of Rivers Combover. Of course, I could be mistaken, I mean I'm only the guy from Weezer, you know, that one guy in all the videos, the one at the back.

well, if Im getting the vibe of the question correctly - everytime I see old or new footage of Michael Jackson fans at his concerts, there appears to be hundreds of them crying in a serious hysterical state, and fainting and stuff!

does any other band/artist do this to people?

doubt it! :wink:

Personally, I'd always heard that Tori Amos fans were some of the most obsessive and that at shows you could hear a pin drop during a song. Um, yeah. :lol: The obsessive part was true but the pin drop part couldn't be further from the truth. The crowd wouldn't shut up. I did some looking and this seems to be the case for her concerts everywhere. Where this stereotype came from is beyond me. :shrug:

I've seen a ton of shows (that's the obsessive part) and they were all the hear-a-pin-drop variety, with no more shouting out between songs than I've heard at any other show.

I think MJ fans want/wanted to 'mother' him.

ya know?

I remember this documentary, showed a late 80s shot, this girl all excited about him 'looking at her and saying hello, and she cannot believe it' before jumping up and down squealing to the point one would go deaf in the ear.

Dead Heads(or insert any jam band type) smell.
Radiohead fans have no sense of humor.
Metallica fans still look like it's 1988.
Clay Aiken fans are all approaching menopause.
Ashley Simpson fans are all deaf.

:up: There are some people here who are just here to stir up trouble and troll the threads, they don't really care about U2. Then there are those who are the social butterflies who need to be popular and well liked and that's more important to them than their U2 fandom. I personally have found the "older" folks here to be the "real and true die hard U2 fans" who share the same qualities of a typical U2 fan which is supporting the causes the band or Bono promotes, those in tune with politics and current world events, those fans who want to change the world for the better. These fans know the words to ALL U2's songs but don't spend endless hours arguing about their meanings. These fans have friends all over the country and world who they met at U2 shows and events and they keep in touch. U2 fans are compassionate, caring, intelligent, well read, politically outspoken. U2 shows to them are like a church service. They will see more than one or two shows a tour. This is JMHO.

QFT!!! :hi5:

Wow. This truly defines being a fan of the band for you? Honest to blog?

So, to summarize, being a U2 fan means:

- Acting like the "older" "real and true die hard U2 fans."
- Agreeing with everything Bono and the band promotes and supporting them.
- Being in tune with politics and world events.
- Knowing all of U2's lyrics.
- Never arguing about U2's meanings or intentions.
- Meet people at shows.
- Being caring, compassionate, intelligent, well read, and politically outspoken.
- Viewing shows as if they are like a church service.
- Seeing multiple shows on a tour.

I for one am not a U2 fan, it turns out. That's a shame. Should I leave Interference?

I for one am not a U2 fan, it turns out. That's a shame. Should I leave Interference?

One third of interference doesn't even like U2 anymore, one third posts in EYKIW obsessively, and the other third are just here for the beach clips.

One third of interference doesn't even like U2 anymore, one third posts in EYKIW obsessively, and the other third are just here for the beach clips.

But they're only U2 fans if they agree with what Bono says and see multiple shows each tour. More than one or two.

I would have said, you know, that a real U2 fan enjoys U2's music. How dare I forget being politically outspoken and knowing every U2 lyric, while never arguing about anything the band means.

Back
Top Bottom