Stephen Gately (ex-Boyzone) RIP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've not really heard of Boyzone, so I'm not sure who Stephen Gately was, but only 33. Wow. How very sad.

As much as I love big, dumb pop (especially British pop bands), I've never heard anything by Boyzone.

But 33 - geez, that's awful. Poor guy.

I've not really heard of Boyzone, so I'm not sure who Stephen Gately was, but only 33. Wow. How very sad.

Not sure I've ever heard any of their songs (they didn't really make it to this side of the pond) but they were the boyband in U2's "Sweetest Thing" video. Gately made a lot of headlines several (10 already?) years ago when he came out as gay.

Just read this on a newssite. Was never a real fan of their music (though some songs were okay) but it's sad, only 33 years old :| Seems like way too many people have been dying so young lately...

I first heard of him mentioned as Baby Spice's supposed boyfriend before he came out. And in the Sweetest Thing vid.

Way way way too young.

Wow! Way way too young! Stephen Gately RIP.

Whether I liked it or not, Boyzone were all over MTV Asia/Europe in the 90s. They really were huge!!! I have to admit liking some of their songs at the time. I had a less discerning taste back then, lol. And then they showed up in a video of their fellow Irishmen. Boyzone and Take That.. both are undeniable giants of that boyband era.

Shocking news

Only he and Ronan ever did anything in that group

I wonder what happened, there seems to be some mystery as to why he suddenly died

33 is no age to go

Boyzone was one of my favorite Boy bands.

When I lived in Bulgaria, MTV Europe was one of my few English channels so I was exposed to of some the European hits that many in America would not know!

Stephen was my favorite member!

I was shocked by the news.

RIP Stephen!

Last edited:
Here I was thinking Boyzone was that bar Laz likes. Never heard of the group.

Even though Boyzone wasn't really known in the US, they had a report on this on my local 11PM news tonight - except they must have been working off yesterday's report from elsewhere since they said he had died today and that the rest of the band was on their way to Spain. :huh:

I was on Mallorca when Stephen Gately died. A guitarist at a rock bar in Magalluf told us and we thought he was joking! Especially when we heard he drank himself to death and believe me, that is very easy when you're on Mallorca since the drinks are amazingly cheap!

Very sad, I was never a Boyzone (or boyband) fan, but whenever I hear the music on the radio it is still youth sentiment to me.

Back
Top Bottom