St. Vincent - Strange Mercy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm 100% positive that the "Yeahs" in Digital Witness are inspired by We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together.

BNM

I still haven't listened to the stream, may just wait for the Autorip from Amazon tonight.

Same here. I'm seeing her on Wednesday, so I doubt my preordered vinyl will arrive. At least I managed to hear the album once on the streaming. Also had heard Birth in Reverse and Digital Witness a bunch of times (I'm convinced the latter would fit really well in Love This Giant).

Also had heard Birth in Reverse and Digital Witness a bunch of times (I'm convinced the latter would fit really well in Love This Giant).

Same.

I also gave it a listen on the stream, but I was fairly distracted at the time. Sounded like it had a hell of a lot of promise, though, and I'm looking forward to a more dedicated listen soon.

Birth in Reverse and Digital Witness would probably be like my fifth and eighth favorite tracks on this album, for what it's worth.

"Birth in Reverse" is the only clunker on the album for me. Didn't like it upon its initial release, like it even less now. I'm looking forward to nabbing this and Morning Phase tomorrow.

That Pitchfork review has some classic Pitchfork moments:

But Clark's freak-outs are tidy, modular and architecturally compact—like King Crimson rewritten by Le Corbusier.

Same reviewer that gave Reflektor a 9-something too.

"Birth in Reverse" is the only clunker on the album for me. Didn't like it upon its initial release, like it even less now.

Same. It's strange how often bands pick the song I like the least as a lead single.

Absolutely loving this album. Rattlesnake, Digital Witness, Huey Newton and Severed Crossed Fingers are my favorites so far. I think the latter is her best album closer yet. Going to the New York show this Wednesday.

I'm also on line at an autograph session for her right now!

Sent from my SM-G730V using U2 Interference mobile app

Well, I'll likely be visiting New York here and there throughout the summer, so I could cross paths with you at some point on that leg of the trip.

That would be cool man. Just looking at google maps I could easily add in a stop to Philly. Maybe fly into Philly for a day or two then go to NYC and annoy NSW.

Oh, Philly's about two hours from New York by car, not far at all. I wouldn't add a whole stop here unless you had a place to stay, though. My living situation in the coming months is a bit in limbo so unfortunately I'm not much help.

Shit, guys. She was awesome tonight. Like super duper awesome. Better than ever.

I will spoil this since many of you will see her in the next couple of months.

I can't even say what the highlights were. The new songs, with one tiny exception (I Prefer Your Love), sounded stunning. Huey Newton live is some hot shit. Digital Witness and Regret are also great.

And even though I loved the new stuff, my favorite sequence was Cruel -> Cheerleader. I thought both, but particularly the latter, were even better than in the last tour.

There was a song in the middle - looking at past setlists, I think it's Pieta - that I didn't recognize. Can't find it online, either. Any idea where it comes from?

She also played Krokodil, her Record Store Day single from a couple of years ago. Really heavy stuff. I thought there would be some crowdsurfing like last time, but alas she stayed onstage.

David Byrne was in the audience, I believe, but did not play with her. Was hoping for a Love This Giant appearance.

Well, if you're going to see her soon, you're in for a treat.

Back
Top Bottom