St. Vincent - Strange Mercy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really hope that she adds a leg to the States for 2012. I really dropped the ball missing the last Chicago show.

04-14 Indio, CA - Coachella
04-17 Tucson, AZ - Rialto Theater *
04-21 Indio, CA - Coachella
04-24 Oakland, CA - Fox Theater
05-03 Providence, RI - Lupo’s
05-05 Buffalo, NY - Town Ballroom
05-07 Pittsburgh, PA - Altar
05-08 Columbus, OH - Newport Music Hall
05-09 Cincinnati, OH - Bogart's
05-10 Indianapolis, IN - Deluxe at Old National Centre
05-11 Chicago, IL - Vic Theatre
05-12 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
05-14 Omaha, NE - Slowdown
05-15 Tulsa, OK - Cain’s Ballroom
05-17 Memphis, TN - Minglewood Hall
05-18 Birmingham, AL - The Bottletree
05-19 Atlanta, GA - Variety Playhouse
05-21 Nashville, TN - Cannery Ballroom
05-22 Knoxville, TN - Bijou Theatre
05-23 Carrboro, NC - Cat's Cradle
05-24 Richmond, VA - The National

I forgot to watch Conan the other night, will have to take a looksie on the internet.

I really wanted another NYC show.

Same. But I imagine they'll be far more tour dates before the Strange Mercy trek is done, especially given how long she hit the road for Actor. Her latest has been a far greater success. Here's hoping she returns!

Nothing to see here. Just a perfect human being doing perfect human being things.

Holy fucking shit, she covered "Black"?

Holy shit. I don't even think I can watch that, for fear of being disappointed, or possibly dying of a heart attack.

Does she hit the big note toward the end on "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"? Or the one on "MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE"? I'm talking two of the best glory notes in the history of modern pop music.

Does she rip a solo in the coda?

God damn, what a great song. What a great band. Fuck it. I'm just gonna listen to the original, or maybe the Unplugged or Benaroya Hall versions.

Haha. Wow, she butchered the fuck out of the song. At least she acknowledged it, though.

And she's got good taste. But that song might have to go up there on the long list of "songs that should not be covered by anybody, ever."

99ksb5.jpg

Just got this press release

#StVincentInOz

St. Vincent aka Annie Clark lands in Australia next week and wants your advice on stuff to do in Australia​

TV appearances on Portlandia, Conan O'Brien and Gossip Girl, the launch of the 'Cheerleader' single and video (named “Google Song of The Day” and Stereogum's Video of the Week and touring all around Europe and the UK before arriving in Australia next week (not to mention Coachella in April) have all lead to a very hectic schedule!

Sounding very much in need of a few days downtime in the Australian sunshine St. Vincent is looking to the Twitter community of Australia to suggest where to go and what to do whilst down-under during the second week of March.

Starting Monday, March 5th, fans can send @St_Vincenta tweet using the hashtag #StVincentInOz with a suggestion of what to do it tour cities Perth, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne.

Annie will pick her favourite - whether it be a landmark, bar, restaurant, tourist experience or known-to-locals-only adventure - and the winner will receive a double pass to the St. Vincent gig in their city, plus an autographed St. Vincent t-shirt. And who knows? If your tweet catches St. Vincent’s eye, she might decide to retweet it to her nearly 400,000 strong Twitter followers.

Valid contest entry requires the use of the #StVincentInOz hashtag, as well as clear mention of what city your suggestion is for (Perth, Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne).

Get on Twitter and show off your home town to St. Vincent from this Monday March 5th to win. This could well be the most rewarding 140 characters you ever type!

Where to take her...

The set:

Surgeon
Cheerleader
Chloe in the Afternoon
Save Me From What I Want
Actor Out of Work
Dilettante
Black Rainbow
Cruel
Champagne Year
Neutered Fruit
Strange Mercy
Marrow
Crocodile (spelt "Krokodil" on the setlist)
She is Beyond Good and Evil (The Pop Group cover)
Northern Lights
Year of the Tiger
~
The Party
Your Lips Are Red

That was the sexiest thing I've ever seen.

I knew it would be good, but I wasn't anticipating it would be that great. Wowee, what a show. Annie was decked out in black, in these tiny leather shorts and a slightly see-through top. I don't think she's the hottest woman ever, but there is something about her that is very beguiling and god damn can she play guitar. That's a dangerous combination.

The crowd fucking sucked. There seemed to be a lack of atmosphere and energy, but as the show wore on it became painfully obvious that was the crowd's fault, not the band or Annie's, who were on fire. Aside from myself and a few others, most people were barely even head-bobbing, which was a great shame.

Surgeon let me down just slightly as an opener, only because I had delusions of Pink Floyd-esque grandeur for that solo taking off live and it didn't quite reach those heights. Cheerleader is a song on the record that I'm not as taken with like many of you, but live it was really something. The strength of the tune really shines.

Annie does this stumble-backwards thing at the end of some of her lines, as she plays a guitar riff, which is adorable.

She forgot the words to Dilettante, so she stopped the song, and tried to remember, with the help of the crowd, and it was very charming. "This is live music, people!" she smiled. "This is what happens when it gets real." Cruel got a few more people moving and it was, in the words of Bomac, quite good.

Champagne Year doesn't take off at the end like I wish it would, but it was captivating to be standing only five or so metres away as she sung those great lines, "I make a living / telling people what they wanna hear..." It's got a great intro too, it actually reminded me of Streets :lol:

I really love the title track, so that was another highlight. "If I ever meet that / dirty policeman / who roughed you up" is one of my favourite parts of the album.

After the terrific Marrow came the completely unexpected, jaw-dropping highlight of the night. Annie put her guitar - one of three - back in its holster, then kneeled down on the stage, introducing a new song, one that they'd never played, "and I feel it's appropriate we do it in Australia because it's called 'Crocodile'." After about 30 seconds of jumping around on stage she dropped down and came into the crowd, where she walked up and down, singing this awesome song (lots of awesome lines with "fuck" in them). THEN she got closer and closer to me, and THEN SHE FELL INTO ME, and I lifted her up and inadvertently touched her ass and then some lucky sunavabitch put her on his shoulders. Then she fell into me again as she came back down to go onto the stage again.

:faint:

This was followed by a funny little story that I completely forget, which led into the cover mentioned above. It rocked. Northern Lights and Year of the Tiger closed the set out brilliantly and then they came back for two more songs. I'd heard neither before, but it was a phenomenal duo to close with. The first was just Annie and the very odd-looking guy on keys, a real haunting number that was captivating to watch. Then they closed with a song that just had me going "wow" over and over, such was the ferocity of Annie's work on the guitar. She absolutely shredded the thing.

I came away a little unsatisfied, not because the show wasn't good enough, but because I was hungry for more. Here's hoping her next album turns her into a bona-fide superstar.

:up::up::up:

Consider yourself lucky you didn't get a slew of humblebrag tweets after the show.

Really looking forward to a studio version of that song. What a talent.

Oh man, this is a hot track. I like the juxtaposition of the bouncy vocal melody and the cold, crunchy instrumentation. Let's go.

Back
Top Bottom