St. Vincent - Strange Mercy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Somewhere Shouter solemnly nods while listening to "Drop It Doe Eyes."

Real talk though: one of my favorite shows ever. Really heavy on the new shit, but it was all so loud and expansive that I didn't mind only getting one Marry Me jam. Only Strange Mercy track she dodged was "Hysterical Strength," which is just as well considering it's the only one I'm lukewarm on. And holy shit, that Pop Group cover? Filthy.

See her tour this album. You will not regret it.

I wanted to see her, but the tickets here were long sold-out and going for very high prices through the online scalpers.

It seems that Cruel is the track being played on the radio right now. WXRT has picked it up. Strange, as I thought Northern Lights had the greatest commercial potential.

Next week. Can't wait.

Glad to know it was a good show.

A buddy of mine is going to be at that same show. He is very upset with having to pick a show to attend between St. Vinny and Childish Gambino since they're on the same night. It's like Sophie's Choice all over again.

I have it sitting at number three at the moment, and it may move up one more spot before the year is done. Surgeon and Chloe in the Afternoon are my favorites - the vocals on the former continue to astound me.

I think it's like 7th or 8th for me, I can't remember. It's short enough that I keep re-listening to it, which is always a good sign for future rankings. Might be top 5 by the end of the year.

The one thing I can't get past is the chorus of Chloe In The Afternoon. It's just awful, and the rest of the song is great. Trying to cram the song title into the chorus as many times as possible does not a great chorus make.

Surgeon is possibly my favorite song of the year. That quirky guitar is so good. The second half of the album is also very strong.

I saw her concert last night, and that was by far my favorite show of the year. Virtually every single one of her songs takes off live. Surgeon, Northern Lights, Strange Mercy, Cheerleader and Your Lips Are Red were unbelievably good. I can't wait to see her again at some point.

I like this more than her last album, definitely, but I'm still really not a big fan :slant:. Definitely found that the things I didn't like about the last album (I felt like, in spite of the fact I listened to it three or four times, none of the songs ever stuck with me past their end points, and that really was what hurt the album for me) were a none factor this time. Plenty of quality songs, especially between tracks 3-6.

I'll give it a few more spins in the future and see if it doesn't grow on me a bit.

I had, but thanks for passing it along. Love that potty mouth.

Finally got around to listening to Marry Me, which I dare say, is a stronger effort than Actor. There is tremendous diversity of style on display for a debut album, and all the eccentricities of her later work seem to be present as well. I love how it drifts between serious gravitas and irreverence, even self-deprecation. I'm really glad that I made the purchase.

It's funny that there doesn't seem to be one big song from this album. Surgeon was the first single, but then everyone stopped talking about that when Cruel came out, and now she's onto Cheerleader? That's interesting. Personally, I wish Northern Lights would receive more airplay, that is such a catchy song.

Back
Top Bottom